• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Taillight Bulb

Bill Lumberg
I normally ride an 04 R1150RTA. I recently traveled to a law enforcement event with a partner following me in a sedan. When he arrived, he told me he could barely see my taillight, even though we were in pitch black mountainous areas on the way. Brake light- good to go. Taillight, like a firefly. I rode behind him for a mile or so the next mor ing, and it was true. So- short of aftermarket modulators, is there a brighter bulb (part number) I can order to increase my posterior visibility? I can get replacement bulbs from the local autozone, but they have nothing brighter in the configuration I need. Thanks.

Or add one of the aftermarket options ,some on the license plate bracket.

Increases your rear visibilty to others. These are LED clusters that can be set up for running lights only or also brake lights.
Hyper-lites, Skene or Run-n-lites are some of the brands.

Aftermarket LEDs are a great add-on even with a good tail light. But have you checked your bulb and the contacts in the bulb housing? A standard tail/brake light bulb should be more visible than a firefly even at a distance. You can check the voltage drop for the tail light circuit against the brake light circuit. You might need to clean the contacts on the bulb and/or socket or replace them. There could also be bad connection "upstream" of the socket, but I'd start looking there.

Beware that LED lamps by themselves will trigger a lamp fail if you have servo brakes unless you add resistance to each circuit.

For those using amerikaan bulbs, I've seen 1156, 1157, 2357, and others quoted as the right bulb for either the tail light or the brake light. Some helpful gent told me it wasn't rocket science and referred me to a site that didn't have any bulb suitable for an R1150RT. Which of the engrish bulbs is right for tail and brake applications, should one have a burnout away from the BMW shops we find on every corner?

04 1150RT here. It's quite easy to convert the upper bulb to a dual filament, and this instantly doubles the size of the tail light. The difference between the new upper light & the brake light is still easily distinguished.

I haven't decided yet if I'll also swap the lower bulb for another dual filament; space is much tighter but maybe the smaller dual-filament bulb (with a new socket of course) from Borg-Warner will fit?

With a hot knife or a stepped drill bit, it's also easy to modify the turn signal inner housing to insert (and epoxy) a set of the dual-function HyperLites. Looks stock, a lot better than sticking them on the outer plastic. Aim them carefully as the epoxy sets. 'Tis a Good Thing to not only have more lights, but to look wider as well.

ALWAYS check for the proper functioning of all tail & brake light bulbs prior to a ride - the bike's computer will fake you out if a filament dies; it takes a hard close look to spot that you may need a new bulb in there.

Back