• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

helmet chin straps (replace D rings)

madmatt

gotgas-touring nogas-lost
i just picked up a new BILT helmet today. it uses "D Rings" to stay on. i stopped over a friends house and he showed me an aftermarket "snap together clip" to replace the d rings he picked up at a rally in the midwest a few years back. any ideas where i might get one?? thanks

clip add-on

I see the clips at just about every cycle shop I go into and at most cycle shows. They work fairly well, though not nearly as well as Nolan's.

Wife's got one on her helmet and I'll have them on mine shortly.

Several styles out there - best I've found, and they are on all my helmets since the 1990's, would be the FAST HOOK Quick Release Buckle. :thumb :thumb :thumb

Made of a tough polymer and DOT approved, they will mount on any helmet straps, cost $7 for one or $12 for two.

Here's a source site:

http://www.helmetsrus.com/fasthook.html

I've even stock-piled them so that it will be the last and only quick-disconnect I'll ever use!

I like D-rings

To offer a different opinion, I feel the same way about it as the folks at webBikeWorld:

Helmet Attachments and Straps

The tried-and-true "D-ring" attachment system is widely used, very reliable and is used on every racing helmet that we are aware of. Other "quick release" systems have been developed, but like trying to build a better mousetrap, none have improved on this basic attachment system, and most are more complicated, failure prone, and fussy to operate. Our advice is to stick with the D-ring system.

A D-ring is infinitely adjustable and there are no springs to wear out or plastic and metal latches to break. All of the quick release mechanisms we've tried make it very hard to adjust the tightness of the helmet straps.

Accessory quick release latches that are user installed should also be avoided, because they can add too much length to the helmet's strap, making it difficult to adjust correctly. Our opinion is that quick release latches are a solution in search of a problem.

One thing to look for is a button or Velcro attachment for the extra piece of chin strap that's usually left dangling after the helmet is secured. Sometimes, this extra piece can be tucked up under the attached chin strap, but it's usually more comfortable to have a method of securing the end of the strap. Make sure you know how your system works and that it fits correctly before purchasing the helmet.

Source: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

Mike - I've got some Guy Lombardo 8-Tracs and my slightly used Sony BetaMax for sale, if you're interested?! :D :dance

Not interested in the Beta, but do you have any 12" video discs?:thumb

I just like the D ring system. I can do mine one handed with gloves on.

I put one on my helmet I only use for teaching. I take this helmet on and off all the time and the clip works well for this. I do like my D rings more for my riding helmets. It is not easy to get the clip as snug as I like it and still get it on and off with ease. When I teach, having it loose is no problem.

What!

DRings are about as easy and simple an idea ever invented for helmets:). Its fine for ya'll to find other options too, but I've never considered my DRings a hassle to use. Simple is best for me, an old airhead idea, simple:). Randy:thumb

Back