• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Upright rider looking at K1200/1300S

Back in the '70s I rode Euro cafe bikes and enjoyed the riding position. Since my re-entry to bikes in '04 I've been riding upright (RT and GS) but have been drawn to the K1200 and 1300S bikes as a possible next ride. My riding consists of day trips in Northern California with yearly trips to the Rockies, ~20k miles per year.

Have any of you come from an upright bike and been able to adapt to the riding position of an S bike for long distance riding? Please share your experiences.

Oh yeah...the draw of the S bike! We both have one.
I'm 6'1 -195lbs and 55 years young. My back never has had an issue on the K.

I had a RT and sold it to get a K12S. Still have a GS and an R that are upright but have done long trips on the K12S with no issues. My first trip was two weeks after getting it and was the 1000' Ride in CO from central TX. It felt fine compared to the RT...just way faster on the adrenaline kick! Carried enough luggage to make a week trip easily.

We have done long days and weekend romps with no issues.

Helen has a set of Verholen risers on hers which puts it somewhere between her R1150R and an 1100S, which to me is more agressive lean position than the K's.

Thanks for the reply. A lot younger then, but I rode a '74 Ducati 750 Sport from San Francisco to Indiana with nothing but a tank bag full of essentials. One of the best times I've had. Would have to re-adapt to the riding position and the wind blast.

The wind management is def different on the S's. You have nowhere to hide like the RT or GS when you want to...But it wasn't a deal breaker. I just turn up my heated gear to high and roll on! Get a little wetter at times...but you can turn the drier on High in third gear and all's well after the storm.:thumb

I had an RT and it was very comfortable, maybe too much. So I sold it and bought an S1000RR - way more fun, way less comfortable. Now I have found a great compromise with my K1200S. It's more like the RR than the RT, for sure, but with some MV bar risers and stock seat, it's great for an all day ride.

I do miss the amazing traction control of the RR, especially in the rain.

Have found the modest forward lean of the K12S to be very comfortable. Can go far with the ergos of this bike, as well as on the more upright GSADV. Fine with both.

Unless you are on I-80 or I-5 all the time, I think you might prefer the S for the wonderful twisty roads in our part of the state. Though I have not come from an upright position, I am: 57, 5' 11", 180lbs, 33" inseam. I thoroughly love the S.
Stop by sometime.

Last edited:
Erect Rider

I have a K13S and don't find the riding position to have that much lean at all. No, it's not quite as upright as on a GS (I've ridden a few for several hours) but I would not call it uncomfortable at all. I realize that may have to do with my frame but I'm just 5'9" and 31" inseam with a stocky build.

Kent

Bar positions

Back in the '70s I rode Euro cafe bikes and enjoyed the riding position. Since my re-entry to bikes in '04 I've been riding upright (RT and GS) but have been drawn to the K1200 and 1300S bikes as a possible next ride. My riding consists of day trips in Northern California with yearly trips to the Rockies, ~20k miles per year.

Have any of you come from an upright bike and been able to adapt to the riding position of an S bike for long distance riding? Please share your experiences.

On the GT bikes both handlebar height and seat height are adjustable, much like the ones on the RT's. The S series might be a bit harder to change though.

Back