Thread: New Member in Pennsylvania...

New Member in Pennsylvania...

Hi all,
    I purchased my first BMW in October last year and was bummed I was only able to put on 800 miles before putting her to bed for winter! I picked up a 2005 R1200GS. I'm really enjoying the bike especially since the weather has warmed up. I've been reading some posts and appreciate a lot of the info I've come across. I just signed up for my membership today as well. Here's to putting more miles on the bike and meeting new friends!

Todd
    State College, PA

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Welcome, nice area to play, on road and off.
    Last edited by pffog; 03-15-2012 at 02:13 AM.

local club

Todd.

We have a BMW club in central Pa.

www.lhbmwr.com

We also have a yahoo group that we can invite you to.

Give me a yell.

Jason

gsjay at kaplitz dot com
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Intermediate Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Hi Todd, Welcome!

If you are interested in getting dirty, click on teh GS Giant link below. We've got lots of events planned this year.

Thanks....

Just had my first taste of the packed dirt and gravel roads today. Had a great time. Hadn't done that since riding dirt bikes way back when. Can't wait for more..

Welcome Todd. With two kids at PSU, I get up to State College from time to time, though generally on four wheels, and when on two wheels, stick to paved roads. I like to stop in at Kissell Motorsports and look around.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1150RT
    My Smugmug

June

I look forward to meeting some of you at your rally.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tebpac View Post
    Hi all,
    I purchased my first BMW in October last year and was bummed I was only able to put on 800 miles before putting her to bed for winter!
    We're going to have to talk about that. With electric gear, I go year 'round. I just stay south of I 80.

Hmmm....

I could just see the looks of the folks at work seeing me pull in during January. Of course with the way winter was this year, could've pulled it off. Need to do the 36000mi check up. Partly by myself and the dealer. I only have the one plug in outlet as of yet. I'm assuming you have to add another plug somewhere with your electric gear. I did see a battery operated vest this year......

I could just see the looks of the folks at work seeing me pull in during January. Of course with the way winter was this year, could've pulled it off. Need to do the 36000mi check up. Partly by myself and the dealer. I only have the one plug in outlet as of yet. I'm assuming you have to add another plug somewhere with your electric gear. I did see a battery operated vest this year......
    I run a heat controller directly off the battery. Then during the winter I just stuff the cables under the seat and don't have to uninstall anything.

I have gloves, jacket, and socks. I've ridden to work when it's 18 but my cut off point for multi-hour weekend fun rides is about 34.

Even thought the winter was relatively warm, there is still a whole lot of highway department sand and gravel on some of the mountain crossings so I'm still holding off on going to places like Renovo and Benzette.

Great places...

to ride. Been to Benezette a few times as well as Renovo. Wycoff Run thru Sinemahoning to Coudersport and further north. Lots more to explore. How does your battery handle the cold?

How does your battery handle the cold?
    No problem but I leave it on a tender when parked year 'round.

I'll have to get your info on wiring to the battery. I have my battery tender pigtail hooked up to it right now. I thought about getting the second plug that goes up near the windshield but it's not meant for clothing to my understanding. Not enough amps I think.

I'll have to get your info on wiring to the battery. I have my battery tender pigtail hooked up to it right now. I thought about getting the second plug that goes up near the windshield but it's not meant for clothing to my understanding. Not enough amps I think.
    I have the Heat Troller hooked into the battery on top of the Battery Tender pigtail.
    I have cables running to the Heat Troller which I've connected to my windshield bracket with cable ties:

The connection wires to the gear run from under the seat along side the Battery Tender pigtail. Then when spring comes, I just stick them back under the seat.

I have dual controls so that one manages the gloves and the other manages the jacket and socks.

Thanks for the pic!