• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Waffling & Wavering between zumo 660/665

deineder

How many of use or would use if you had it, the xm radio and/or weather. Please state your bike when replying. Many thanks for your input.

Dale R1200RT. 08

How many of use or would use if you had it, the xm radio and/or weather. Please state your bike when replying. Many thanks for your input.

Dale R1200RT. 08

I have both the 660 and 665. Weather radar makes a big diff to me. XM, not so much.

My bikes: 2 x Vstroms, 1 x K75, 1 x KLX250SF, 1 x C70

Zumo 660/665

Thanks for the reply. Weather! That's what I was thinking. Sure would be nice t o know what's ahead!

I have a 660. Four months later, Garmin introduces the 665. :bluduh

If the 665 had been available, I would have taken it in a heartbeat, even with the price premium, to get the near-real time weather display. Yeah, you can get the same info from an iPhone, but what a pita to have to stop, pull it out and wait for the radar maps to download -- assuming you're somewhere with cell service in the first place.

One of my pet peeves with the Nav IV is that it is based on the 660, not the 665, so no weather display on the K16. Wasn't the K16 supposed to be the uber-techno showcase?? yet no weather radar option???

I have a 660. Four months later, Garmin introduces the 665. :bluduh

If the 665 had been available, I would have taken it in a heartbeat, even with the price premium, to get the near-real time weather display. Yeah, you can get the same info from an iPhone, but what a pita to have to stop, pull it out and wait for the radar maps to download -- assuming you're somewhere with cell service in the first place.

One of my pet peeves with the Nav IV is that it is based on the 660, not the 665, so no weather display on the K16. Wasn't the K16 supposed to be the uber-techno showcase?? yet no weather radar option???

Ditto. Would have gotten the 665 instead of the 660 if it had been aval.

I have the 665 and a 478. I would not bother with the 665 if you're not interested in the XM. The weather is a JOKE. The Nav weather on the 665 gives little info that I find useful, including knowing what's ahead. It is low resolution and about a half hour behind. I have received false alarms about impending rain that was 200 miles away. And the traffic is useless unless you live in a covered urban area.

I have Wx weather on the 478 and it is worth the cost of the package. It gives lots of data including high-res NEXRAD that's < 5 minutes old. After using this, I can't get excited about the zumo's weather even though it only costs a fraction of the Wx.

Having said all that, I really enjoy the music of XM and have a card with MP3s and audio books for when I get into heavily forested areas or just want the book. If you aren't interested in XM, save your money and take the 660.

I have a 660 with an 8MB micro and 500+ songs. Works great, and it has Lifetime maps due to card purchase for it when new.

Back