• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Task Lights

Walking Eagle

I guess this is the right place to put this. . .

LIGHTING: My older eyes require very good lighting to be able to see into the crannies of my several motorcycles. A whole bunch of my "oh, s**t!" moments in the garage have been a direct result of not being able to see what I was doing, and does that feel dumb, or what?

ONE solution, which I just found at my local big box store is a new (to me) line of LED-based, battery-powered, small lights that lend themselves perfectly to working down in the dark engine room of motorcycles. The one that I have is called a Sylvania "Flute light" and has 4 bright LED lights spaced along a tubular body, 8 3/4" x 5/8". More like a piccolo, but let's not split hairs. Powered by 3 AAA batteries, and around $11. There are other styles to choose from, and they are in the Lighting Section of the store.

I've found that it's easy to prop this light where you want it, or use it with the little snap-in magnetic base, or secure it with a small bungee, tape, or any means necessary to get the light exactly where you need it. These latest LED's are brighter than the old ones, and provide sufficient light to illuminate detail, even with tri-focals.

Walking Eagle

I've been using little LED lights that fit on a headband - frees up the hands, looks where I look. I bought a cheap one on ebay and it's not that good; then I bought a Petzl and it is great. Works for bike/car repair, camping, or hiking in the woods at night looking for lost dogs...

petzl.jpg

:thumb A Petzl Tikka (or maybe it's a Tikka plus, forget the difference) has lived in my tank bag for many years. It's used when camping and it's used when working on the bike.

Back