• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle camping in Europe

Texpaul

Lost again
I am starting plans to take an extended motorcycle trip in Europe next year. Initial plans are to ship the two bikes over with Knopf, pick them up in early May and stay forthat part is not yet decided, but at least 3 months, if the money holds out.
Of course, a big issue is cost. Europe can be expensive. One way we have always saved money on bike trips is to campout as much as possible (up to three months on the road). Obviously, we have good collection of quality camping gear. I understand campgrounds in Europe are very nice, at least according to the websites, so I am looking at this as an option to keep cost down (and stay longer).
IÔÇÖm looking for advice/feedback from anybody who has done some bike camping (or at least tent camping) in Europe. What worked, what didnÔÇÖt, pro and cons. Any websites or a source for information on the subject is much appreciated.

Some campgrounds in Europe will have trailers or caravans for rent as well, which can be very nice when it's raining.

Another possibility, as a step up in cost and comfort, is staying in a pension/zimmer frei/B&B. This is not the fancy kind of B&B you see here, but basically a room in someone's house. They tend to be about halfway between the cost of a campground and a real motel room, and can be very pleasant, and if the owner is personable, you can pick up quite a bit of local knowledge, too. The tourist offices will often have a list of local rooms. I've stayed on farms a few times and really enjoyed it, even got fresh from the cow cream on my cereal in England once.

The differences..

Free camping is not allowed (by law) in most countries in the EU (as I know, in Austria for sure). Bigger campgrounds may offer a "Bungalow" for rent. I'm sure you won't have a problem to find a place for your tent. And yes, camping is cheaper than B&B.

If you want "Hotel", B&B ("Pension") or a guest room (private) the prices are for each person (!!). Normally breakfast is always inculded. Watch out for tourist information points because they have all numbers. If there's none just visit the local restaurant ("Wirtshaus" or "Gasthaus") maybe they have a guest room or know a local with a free guest room.

About these motorcycle friendly hotels ... hmm ... watch out carefully, because I often found something cheaper. It's easy to be motorcycle friendly if your house is on the track and hundreds of motorcycles passing by. They would be idiots if they wont be. I NEVER had a problem to find a room because I'm a motorcyclist. ;)

There I'm often looking for a free room: www.tiscover.com
At the ADAC shop (german car club, in Austria it's ?ûAMTC) you will find a lot of cards for campgrounds: http://www.adac-shop.de/Reiseliteratur/Campingkarten/

Regards from Vienna
Dave

When near a city hostels are another choice & many are listed online.

Hostels are indeed available, and pretty cheap, but I've had mixed experiences and it may be difficult to keep your stuff secure.

For example, I stayed at a Hostel in downtown Salzburg. It was great, walk to everything, clean, cheap and good food for breakfast. I stayed three nights, and the first two, everyone in our room chatted and we had a good time. The third night, the others had all moved on and a school bus from Graz showed up. Naturally, as soon as the chaperones disappeared to their own room, the drinking and smoking began. I was fortunate to just miss the "technicolor waterfall" eminating from the top bunk at 2 in the morning...

OTOH, a buddy and I stayed at a hostel along the Route Napoleon in the French Alps. We were the only two guests, and the owners, who only spoke French, were regardless quite gregarious. We had a great dinner and breakfast, the latter rather unusual for France (where breakfast is likely to be cafe au lait and a single croissant).

Europe can be expensive.

I guess it can be, but comparing apples to apples, it has always been cheaper than touring North America.

I keep an Excel spreadsheet of my expenses with everything sorted; accommodations, eating-in, eating-out, gas...and I was surprised that my daily expenses were quite a bit less touring the Alps than touring back home...and the European numbers even included airfare. Go figure!

I spend between Ôé¼21 and Ôé¼34 per night which includes one hell of a breakfast that will easily hold you over till dinner. Including dinner its usually Ôé¼45 and up.

Try the Hauptbanhoff for lodging info

In all the major cities, the main train station has a tourist place where you can go to find a hotel/hostel/room in your price range. Often there are Europeans who will rent a room to you in their home from the train sation as well as Pensions and Gasthaus. I have traveled Europe in Car and Bike, alway found a inexpensive place to stay

why ship, rent a airhead in Stuttgart

MOA in Bloomsburg, there was a guy there who rents airheads and has all the info for Europe. Cost a ton to ship and do the red tape thing. make your life easier. I dont know where to find him but I am sure with some research he can be located. Boy was it hot in Bloomsburg.

why ship, rent a airhead in Stuttgart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MOA in Bloomsburg, there was a guy there who rents airheads and has all the info for Europe. Cost a ton to ship and do the red tape thing. make your life easier. I dont know where to find him but I am sure with some research he can be located. Boy was it hot in Bloomsburg.

Been down the rent road. It's only cheaper if you don't stay more than 2 or 3 weeks (depending on what you rent from whom). I'm planning to be there for a lot longer so it is much cheaper to ship my bike over and back than to rent for a long period of time.

Unfortunately, you've missed the window for this year to give your bike to Stefan Knopf. That is by far the cheapest and most secure way to get your bike over to Europe.

Probably the cheapest way is to find a cargo broker and build a crate for your bike to get it on a boat. I'm not sure what you can do with the crate once you're over there, however.

Good luck!

Back