• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

never gets old

Andy, you and I so many other BMW riders are in agreement. We've found the bike(s) that suit us, and we'll ride them, farkle them, and fix them until we die - or a crash takes them from us. Assuming we become rideable after the crash, we have to find a new bike love affair. That was my case. I didn't stray far from my original BMW love - another KRS.

But we have to be grateful for all those folks who buy new BMWs. Those oldies we love will not be around forever - though maybe for our life span. Maybe some of the new models will really stand the test of time. Hey, they may even be better than the old bikes we love. Time will tell, and the young with the same mind-set as us older folk will buy them when they have been proven.

Well, please let another Canadian chime in here, from near Toronto...

Had a great first of season ride yesterday in 16C weather. R1200RT temp reading was as low as 11C briefly. 2011 model, bought new last Sep and my first BMW. I'm 66 and not tall. Still, it's a comfortable bike for sure.

Last year i fell into a bad habit of both legs down coming to a stop. I read a bunch over the break and resolved to stop that and it went really well yesterday. Having a new bike makes us a bit unsure, but i'm really pleased with the performance.

Have narrow hips and thought i was going to split my pelvis yesterday and sore on this rainy day. But i know a few more rides will stretch some muscles back into shape.

So, baring a return to winter, the new season has begun really well.

I hope it does for all of you too.

Good for you, and keep praticing that and you'll find stops are easy and secure with only the left foot down and rear brake control right to the end of the stop. I'm 5'-6" with almost a 30" inseam (lucky me!) and I have used the left foot down method for years. I find the bike is better stabilized when I can feather the rear brake right dow to the stop and left foot touch down. It also makes stops on hills/slopes very easy to control.

+1 Andyvh. I know its automatic L foot down first for me, because that's the boot sole that gets worn out first!

Mike H
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

+2 Andyvh

I took me a long time to "learn" the technique, but now i can do it very well. And sometimes even stop with my left foot still hanging in the air... but usually not for too long. :brad

I wish my father never convinced me to sell mine. I do miss it. :banghead

After repaint
IMG_5434.jpg

Me too, '78 R100/7;

Had her since new, Feb.'78:). Mine is at 378000m, not Km's. I guess that would be around half a million Km's.. I couldn't get rid of this bike, ever. I pass someday, it goes to my Daughter who also rides BMWs. Stays in the family:). Rode her across Canada, BC to Nova Scotia a few years ago, on a loop of NAmerica... VERY nice, up there! Canada treated me so very well. I understand so very well, those with old Airheads and their want to keep'em. I have newer BMWs, but none are replacements for the Airhead...All my newer bikes would go first and my old one, never:). Randy:thumb:usa

Attachments

• P2120312.jpg
    P2120312.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 43
Back