• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

One piece suits

I've out grown my two piece cold weather suit...err I mean it shrunk...:D

Giving thought to a one piece as a replacement. Your opinions on which is best , particularly from experience would be appreciated...

Thank you, Ron

I'm having the same thought. Thinking about replacing my two piece Tourmaster with an Olympia Phantom one piece.

I'm having the same thought. Thinking about replacing my two piece Tourmaster with an Olympia Phantom one piece.

My old suit was a Tour Rider..super warm,..but I'm thinking a one piece might be easier, on & off. Carry it and a light jacket, for those cool days/nights. If it gets really cold, put suit over light jacket. Might equate to less bulk, on & when being carried?

Have worn a flight suit for a good number of years40+
The on off routine can become tiresome when using the facilities
I have always found for motorcycles two piece much more convenient

After riding a one piece 'Stitch for years, I'm now riding a two-piece 'Stitch. It's merely "ok". I keep threatening to get back to a one-piece. If I could justify the cost when my two-piece is completely servicable, I'd be back in a one piece in a heart beat.

Again, it's an individual preference but my choice is a one-piece.

After riding a one piece 'Stitch for years, I'm now riding a two-piece 'Stitch. It's merely "ok". I keep threatening to get back to a one-piece. If I could justify the cost when my two-piece is completely servicable, I'd be back in a one piece in a heart beat.

Again, it's an individual preference but my choice is a one-piece.

Could you say a bit about why you hold that preference?

Not sure i can wear a one piece, but i'd like know the advantages.

I don't realy like a full one piece suit. I have and BMW leather suit that zipped at the waste to make a one piece but the ease of getting off as a two piece suit. Now I just need to lose some weight to be able to wear it again.

Don

One piece positives:

• More comfortable
  • Easier in and out
  • less bunching of material at waist
  • better/easier lower pocket access
  • less weight
  • sleeves looser near zippers

One piece $887

One Piece negatives:

• need to carry jacket
  • slightlier bulky to store
  • minor crotch leaks if not treated often

Two-piece positives:

• no need to carry spare jacket
  • crotch leak far less

Two-pieces negatives

• when separated pants too loose
  • sleeves at zipper very tight
  • difficult to zip pants
  • front jacket pockets difficult to use

Two-piece $937.

Just my opinion.

I only want the one piece for the really cold days (20-30 degrees). I have three other two piece suits that I can use along with one piece and two piece rain suits.

I have both two piece and a one piece

I do like the Olympia in the Fall and in the Spring when the weather is colder. I find that often with the two piece riding suits i get a draft up my back.

I haven't ridden much in the rain with the one piece suit, but i think that it might be better in inclement weather.

There is no way that you can convince me that it is easier to get into or out of a one piece rather than two piece.

The seperates are much more comfortable IMHO.

I do like the Olympia in the Fall and in the Spring when the weather is colder. I find that often with the two piece riding suits i get a draft up my back.

I haven't ridden much in the rain with the one piece suit, but i think that it might be better in inclement weather.

[U]There is no way that you can convince me that it is easier to get into or out of a one piece rather than two piece.[/U]

The seperates are much more comfortable IMHO.

The Stitch one piece is very easy to get in and out; just seconds!

Last edited:
I thought I'd like the one piece but I don't. Much harder to deal with it when I gotta go.

Can you wear electric gear under the suit? If so, how do you route the power connection?

I have had the Olympia Phantom one piece suit for about five years now. I am able to wear my electric jacket liner under it. There are two zippers (an upper and a lower) on the long closure in the front. I route the power cord out through the bottom zipper and it works great. I did buy the 3' extension in order to give the cord plenty of freedom. That lower zipper is also very convenient when taking a restroom break.

I wish the Phantom suit was about 1" longer in the torso though. It works fine on my airhead with its more upright riding position, but on my K1 it feels just a tad short because of its more aggressive riding position.

One piece positives:

• More comfortable
  • Easier in and out
  • less bunching of material at waist
  • better/easier lower pocket access
  • less weight
  • sleeves looser near zippers

One piece $887

One Piece negatives:

• need to carry jacket
  • slightlier bulky to store
  • minor crotch leaks if not treated often

Two-piece positives:

• no need to carry spare jacket
  • crotch leak far less

Two-pieces negatives

• when separated pants too loose
  • sleeves at zipper very tight
  • difficult to zip pants
  • front jacket pockets difficult to use

Two-piece $937.

Just my opinion.
Totally agree w/Steve.

One additional thought: the one-piece Roadcrafter zippers have been upgraded to be more water-intrusion-resistant. I had the new zipper back-fitted to my nearly 10 year old Roadcrafter. That made a very good commuting/touring suit that much better.

I originally purchased a one-piece in part because I knew I didn't have the self-discipline to always wear riding pants, and with the Roadcrafter I'd never be too lazy and not have the leg protection. Fast forward 10 years, and I know today I have the self discipline, so now I also have a two-piece Aerostich Darien jaacket/AD-1 pants. Having both provies a lot of flexibility -- different gear for different situations, e.g., different bikes (more/less storage space), different weather, different activities (commuting, touring), different expected off-bike activities, etc.

Like Don

I have the Olympia Phantom one piece. So far, i have not ridden with electrics under it. Actually let me clarify... i haven't ridden with the electrics plugged in... even when riding down into the 30's. Of course, my RT has a bit of coverage from the weather and the winds. :bow

But there is plenty of room for me. Eventually i will figure out how to run the connection; just haven't had to so far.

And yes, the Phantom has a short body length. I'm only 5'5" and it fits me perfectly. (although i did have to have about 4"'s taken off of the legs... :brow)

I have had the Olympia Phantom one piece suit for about five years now. I am able to wear my electric jacket liner under it. There are two zippers (an upper and a lower) on the long closure in the front. I route the power cord out through the bottom zipper and it works great.

What about the controller for the vest? Does it route through the same zipper?

What about the controller for the vest? Does it route through the same zipper?

I have my controller mounted on my bars near the fairing. I have only the one cable from my heated liner and I plug it in alongside the seat.

Attachments

• P1050038 (Large)cr.jpg
    P1050038 (Large)cr.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 304
I have my controller mounted on my bars near the fairing. I have only the one cable from my heated liner and I plug it in alongside the seat.

My controller is different. I use Tourmaster heated gear and the controller connects to the jacket, so I guess it wouldn't route through the zipper.

Attachments

• heated.jpg
    heated.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 337
Back