• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member from Oregon

kjacobson

Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Kris Jacobson and I'm a new BMW rider/owner. I've just returned to riding since the late 70's. Back in those days, I rode a Honda CB360t. I enjoyed that bike and rode all over the SF Bay Area on it. I eventually got my first car and the motorcycle got sold.

Fast forward to 2012. I'm recently retired :gerg and suddenly got the itch to ride again. I got my endorsement and began looking for the right motorcycle. I'm really drawn to the vintage bikes of the 70's (that's what I'm familiar with) and I kept thinking I wanted a Triumph or something sexy like that. I'm a 51 year old woman with a 31.5" inseam and I knew I wanted to get something more than the standard HD sportster or Honda Rebel type bike.

I just so happened to walk into the local BMW dealership and BAM! I met the owner of the dealership who treated me like a valued customer, didn't patronize or talk down to me, was honest and asked all the questions to help determine what type of bike might suit me best. He also described the BMW riding community and the type of clinics, events and rides they have. And last, but not least, I sat on an F650GS. It seemed to fit me like a glove and I knew deep in the pit of my stomach that this was the right bike for me.

A week later and after a bunch of return visits to the shop to sit on bikes, reading countless internet bike reviews and thinking about it, I signed the paperwork :deal and rode my "new to me" 2007 BMW F650GS thumper home. I put a 100 mile ride on her the day after I got home and can't wait to put more miles on her. Now, if only the Oregon weather would cooperate. I woke up to a fresh dusting of snow on the ground this morning and the weather is driving me crazy.

I'm dreaming about packing my panniers for a road trip. Hopefully I'll be meeting some of you on this forum in person this summer!

:D

Welcome Kris! I am also retired and moved to Trinity County, CA, not too far from Eugene. I also got the "urge" back after being off for about 30 years. If you ever do a ride down this way, let me know and I would hope that I could ride along with you for a while. I have a buddy down in the Sacramento area that has the same bike you picked up. He loves it!

Happy trails, ride safe.

Welcome to the BMW motorcycle family! Sounds like you found a great bike - I know a lot of people with F650s who just are in love with them. If you haven't already, you might want to join the BMW Riders of Oregon: http://bmwro.org/. They have a great rally in John Day mid-June every year. Maybe I'll see you there! :thumb

Welcome! Be sure to check out the GS Giants. You are sure to meet up with friends you never knew you had!

Hello and welcome Kris, I recently got to know a nice gent in Everett Washington and we are hoping to meet up this year somewhere on the Cascade loop. I also want to get down to Multnomah Falls when I'm out that way so maybe we will see you on the road. Best wishes for a safe riding season and congratulations on your new bike.

BMW riders of Oregon

Welcome to the BMW motorcycle family! Sounds like you found a great bike - I know a lot of people with F650s who just are in love with them. If you haven't already, you might want to join the BMW Riders of Oregon: http://bmwro.org/. They have a great rally in John Day mid-June every year. Maybe I'll see you there! :thumb

Thanks Greg,

I've actually printed out the member application for that club and have it on my table with the plans to get it in the mail. I've been seriously toying with the idea of going to that rally.

Welcome Kris! I am also retired and moved to Trinity County, CA, not too far from Eugene. I also got the "urge" back after being off for about 30 years. If you ever do a ride down this way, let me know and I would hope that I could ride along with you for a while. I have a buddy down in the Sacramento area that has the same bike you picked up. He loves it!

Happy trails, ride safe.

Thanks for the warm welcome! If I ever have plans to get down to that beautiful Trinity area, I'll be sure to send you a message and let you know.

Hello and welcome Kris, I recently got to know a nice gent in Everett Washington and we are hoping to meet up this year somewhere on the Cascade loop. I also want to get down to Multnomah Falls when I'm out that way so maybe we will see you on the road. Best wishes for a safe riding season and congratulations on your new bike.
Hi Glenn,
When I'm riding near Multnomah Falls, I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Canadian riding the R1200RT!

the falls

Welcome, welcome! I'm in Hood River, just about 30 min. from the falls. Get to see them about once a month, and it never gets old. :dance Next time I roll by I'll keep my eyes peeled for you all.

Welcome

Hi Kris,

The Oregon BMW rally is well worth attending. And it's a fun ride getting there (John Day) from Eugene.

Debbie Webber at Premier Motogear in Albany is "the" person to go to for women's riding gear. Here in the NorthWet clothing is as important as the bike.

Spring is just a couple of snow storms away. Hang in there...

Ride Well,
Ramey "Coach" Stroud

Welcome to BMW's, Kris
My first bike was also a Honda CB360T I bought used back in the 1970's. I put 9,000 miles on it in 3 months and traded it for a BMW R75/5.

Enjoy you GS!:wave

Albany Motogear

Hi Coach!

Thanks for the tip on Debbie and Albany Motogear. I was just riding through Albany yesterday, on my way to Salem. The shop was probably closed (Monday) but I'll be sure to stop in soon and let her know you referred me.

I'm already planning on attending the Oregon BMW Rally and can't wait for June!

Kris

Hi Kris,

The Oregon BMW rally is well worth attending. And it's a fun ride getting there (John Day) from Eugene.

Debbie Webber at Premier Motogear in Albany is "the" person to go to for women's riding gear. Here in the NorthWet clothing is as important as the bike.

Spring is just a couple of snow storms away. Hang in there...

Ride Well,
Ramey "Coach" Stroud

Back