Thread: R90/6 electrical capacity?

Rally Rat

R90/6 electrical capacity?

I am thinking of developing an audio rig for my tank bag, but am unsure of just how much power I can draw. Was looking at a possible mixer, gps and i-pod-type device with an optional phone charger. Not sure if I'd run direct off the battery or through the power socket and into a cigarette-lighter styled socket. Anyone?

It's merely a question of how many amps or watts your are planning to have to consume of the limited available. Once you post that, it is totally easy to figure out.........God bless......Dennis

I have an R90, but I'm no expert.

The OEM alternator doesn't produce a lot of power, but I don't think the items you listed would consume much power, maybe 2 amps?

But, the OEM doesn't produce power at idle. So, at idle, you'd be drawing current from the battery. Likely at speed, you'd be OK I bet. So if you are in stop and go traffic, might be a problem.

There are aftermarket alternators that produce more power, but they will set you back about $500.

Snowbum has a lot of info on alternators and power.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Some time ago I copied these figures down. I can't personally vouch for them but they do seem to make sense.

55W Stock low beam headlight
    40W Stock Ignition
    15W Lamps & Misc
    110 Watts Total

The good news is that the R90/6 has the highest capacity Airhead alternator output

The bad news it is 280 W At over 3,000 RPM, Under this speed practically nothing.

The bad news. unless the entire electrical system has been gone over (terminals cleaned or replaced, Alternator cleaned up & worn parts replaced) you won't see the full 280W.

Long trips are usually not too big a problem, short ones with much re starting can be a problem. A constantly under charged battery is not a good thing.

I bit the bullet & got an enduralast. When I arrive home & park the bike on the lift I connect my battery tender, green (charged light immediately) instead of an hour or two in red charging zone. The enduralast replaces everything in the charging system but the dash light. Motorrad Elektrik sells the Omega 450, this system uses upgraded components rather than making a totally different system.

Both begin charging at a lower RPM than stock which is good.

Both are good & well worth the money. $$$$ IMHO Replacing a stock system is not cheap either.

PS It might be a placebo effect but my Dyna III ignition having more power available seems to make the engine run a bit crisper.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Years ago I replaced my stock system with an Omega, also Dyna-3. It is certainly a good feeling to be coming in to work at below-freezing temps, in the dark, hi beams and driving lights, electric jacket liner, GPS and XM and still see that the voltmeter indicates charging.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, WI Airmarshal
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep

I believe the charging upgrade is of value if you really ride the airhead. For me, it's a weekend tripper for nostalgia. I need to save the money for when my 05R12RT blows a part!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350