• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chains and Sprockets Again

roamingbeemer

roamingbeemer
I am sure this has already been discussed somewhere but what experience have F650 Twin owners had with different sprocket sizes. I will be preventively replacing my chain and sprockets (with DID) this year sometime and I am wondering if I should change from the stock sizes of 17 front and 41 rear. Riding in CO and being at altitude most of the time I do not think I should increase the ratio but I am considering lowering it slightly.
I almost never use 6th gear when cruising unless I have a tailwind or I am on a downhill grade since it feels like it is lugging slightly. I get better MPG on the computer in 5th gear normally. With the additional torque at sea level I am sure I could run in 6th gear more but in CO maybe I need more torque at the rear sprocket. Thanks for any suggestions.:bikes

When I changed the chain and sprockets on my wife's 2010 650 twin I dropped a tooth on the counter sprocket. The bike was geared too high in first, especially when loaded and in slow speed stuff. Dropping the tooth helped but it does make the off idle response a bit sensitive. Nothing you can't get used to easily.
My wife says it incrases the "buzz" just a bit a t highway speeds, but nothing that bothers her.

Besides the 6th gear issue I agree it is geared too high in first. I ride this bike on trails so changing the sprocket may help both issues for me. My daughter also rides this bike so will be good for her too.
Thanks for the info and I will plan to drop a tooth on the counter sprocket. At how many miles did you replace the chain and sprocket. I am coming up to 12,000 miles.

I replaced the strock chain and sprockets at just shy of 25K. Chain was pretty far gone by then and rear sprocket starting to cup. From what I read 24K is not an unreal expectation, assuming you keep it clean and lubed.

I am sure this has already been discussed somewhere but what experience have F650 Twin owners had with different sprocket sizes. I will be preventively replacing my chain and sprockets (with DID) this year sometime and I am wondering if I should change from the stock sizes of 17 front and 41 rear. Riding in CO and being at altitude most of the time I do not think I should increase the ratio but I am considering lowering it slightly.
I almost never use 6th gear when cruising unless I have a tailwind or I am on a downhill grade since it feels like it is lugging slightly. I get better MPG on the computer in 5th gear normally. With the additional torque at sea level I am sure I could run in 6th gear more but in CO maybe I need more torque at the rear sprocket. Thanks for any suggestions.:bikes

You can go with the F800gs sprockets and that will give you about a 10% increase in engine speed to help off set the lower power from altitude.
I believe they are 16 and 43

Thanks for the information and the link. I will replace it later this year after we wear this one more first. It is still in good shape but a new chain and sprockets is cheap insurance.

with good lubing, you should be able to plan on at least 20K to a chain & sprocket set. if you are truly religious about it, i've heard reports of closer to 40K (using Scott oiler or similar). not an item i would replace as "insurance", but as "hmm, those teeth are looking pretty worn, and the chain is stretched beyond service limits. must be time to pull the replacements off the shelf and install them". only time i would consider it as an "insurance" replacement is if they were approaching end of life-span, and i was going off on a long road trip.

I guess in my case I want it to wear out earlier so I can change the sprocket size. It is good to know it can last that long though. If I am going to take the trouble to pull it apart I am just going to change it all at once.
I think I need the higher engine speed to get the most out of this bike. As I said for the CO altitude it is geared just a little too high.
It is my first bike since riding around the farm on the family motorcycle which I do not even remember the make now.

I guess in my case I want it to wear out earlier so I can change the sprocket size. It is good to know it can last that long though. If I am going to take the trouble to pull it apart I am just going to change it all at once.
I think I need the higher engine speed to get the most out of this bike. As I said for the CO altitude it is geared just a little too high.
It is my first bike since riding around the farm on the family motorcycle which I do not even remember the make now.

Change it all now and save the parts encase you decide to go to lower ground in the future.

My wife changed the chain and sprockets at 24,000 miles and then again at 48,000 miles on her 09 F650GS Twin. They still looked good and might have gone more miles.

At how many miles did you replace the chain and sprocket. I am coming up to 12,000 miles.

My bike is an '09 F650GS. There was a recall on the chain so BMW was nice enough to change the chain and sprockets on my bike at 19k miles. I think it would have gone at least 25K miles before needing to be replaced.

I have 15k miles on this set of chain and sprockets. There is a tight link that I am watching so I don't know how many more miles I will go before replacing them.

I tried to convince the dealer that there was a recall on the tires also. That didn't work so I actually have to keep buying tires for it, how rude of BMW. :nyah

Back