• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ohlins on K1300 S

suttie

James
Anyone have any experience with installing Ohlins forks/shocks on a K1300S? Does the ESA still work? What is the difference in handling?

Thx folks.

To maintain the ESA , you have to go with the ESA style, Wilbers WESA or Ohlins comparable model. On the Wilbers, I sent the stock ESA to Ted Porter and they mount the assy to the motor. I have not put them on either of our K12S's, but on a Hexhead.

Have ridden a K12S with fresh Ohlins, but no ESA function. Rode it before and after and of course it felt better a week apart from the install...but you are trying to feel the new ones . I still liked the way it felt with the new shocks.

Some folks claim you do not benefit from aftermarket shocks...some swear by them. It also depends on how you ride and where. We have aftermarkets on a few bikes and there was a noticeable handling difference..to us.

Speed limits on the Interstate will feel OK with either:whistle

+1
If you like to play, Ohlins are a big improvement over stock shocks and. for myself, I could ditch the ESA in heartbeat. Its only really useful if you continually go from 2 up to solo and back a lot. Otherwise, normal adjusters are good enough. You might hav to visit a dealer to have the ESA disabled in the computer if you remove it so warning stuff doesn't clutter he dash.

The Ohlins and most other aftermarket damping mechanisms are not the same as stock- more supple and less prone to odd behaviors.

ohlins on k1300

Hello suttie
I added ohlins to my 2007 k1200gt last year so goodbye to esa. I don't miss it and i don't need it.Once you dial in the new suspension to your weight and riding style, you will not look back. The bike has never felt more plaqnted and precise at cornering with or without a passenger. I would not worry about esa but it is up to you.
The ohlins suspension is the cat's a...Its like a different bike, absolutely awesome.
Good luck with your quest,
Vic

Last edited:
Back