• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Snowflake bearings

jsf14469

Getting ready for the riding season, putting on new tires. Wheel bearing grease found inside the rear rim. Can this be just a bad seal? Can the bearing be repacked and a new seal put in? Would it be good practice be just replace the wheel bearing?
Good article on replacement procedure?

Acquired bike about a year ago. Speedo indicated 42K miles, however also noticed the steering head to be notchy. Perhaps 142K. Would it be a good idea to also replace the front wheel bearings?

Wheel bearings can last a million miles if looked after.

Are you sure it's wheel bearing grease not spline lube?

Yes bearings can be taken out & regreased the proper way.
They must also be shimed.

search the forum for wheel bearing articles.

I have over 500,000 miles on my wheel bearings.

Thanks for your reply. Pretty sure not spline lube. Put on tire last spring and lubed splines with a bit of Never Sieze not grease. Quick look at some of the articles left me dazed. Perhaps a good opportunity to spend quality time with Johnnie K at the Beemer Barn.

I'm waiting for bearing seals cause I bogered em up taking em out when I had the wheels bead blasted and powder coated.The races have to be removed for the powder coating process.my 81r100rt. but they are in great shape.

Your wheels look great!

I had mine powder coated gold last year.

Attachments

• splines 004.jpg
    splines 004.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 60
Spline Lube

Wheel bearings on these wheels will last a long time if you keep them lubed. I grease mine annually. You probably just need new seals. As far as the splines go I would never use anti seize on any of the splines. It has a grit to it and can actually do more damage than good.
Try using a moly based grease for the best protection against wear.

Thanks for your reply. Pretty sure not spline lube. Put on tire last spring and lubed splines with a bit of Never Sieze not grease. Quick look at some of the articles left me dazed. Perhaps a good opportunity to spend quality time with Johnnie K at the Beemer Barn.

Back