• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Summit Point Raceway and beyond

R

rocketman

After winning the most prestigious award of ÔÇ£Dirtiest of ShowÔÇØ this past Saturday at an open house in northern Va area,

dirty.jpg

I decided that I should spend Sunday collecting more dirt for the next event. Headed out around 10AM and tooled up 619 to 15 then out Leesburg to pick up Rt. 7 to 9 then on into Charlestown WV and Summit Point Road to watch some racing. Got there around 12:30 and watched two races and took around 140 pics with the new digital, a Nikon D70, Man that baby really rocks! The processor on that D70 is really quick, no lag at all so framing not the problem that my point-and-shoot had. Nice sharp lens (when I can pan fast enough and not shake).
Heres some the better shots, got tons more still in process, once I get them into a decent page setup Ill post the info. In the mean time

Not sure what this first guy was doing on the track, think he may have been in a off road event but had gotten lost
DSC_0544.jpg

most of these were taken from the bottom of the ÔÇ£SÔÇØ curves

theyÔÇÖll be coming around the bend..
DSC_0600.jpg

this guy was booking..
DSC_0602.jpg

and so was this guy
DSC_0614.jpg

the second race had a pretty tight group running the track for the better part of the race.
DSC_0628.jpg

another of the faster rider
DSC_0669.jpg

a shot of the riders goin up the last hill and turn just before the turn into the straight-a-way
DSC_0688.jpg

and here's the fastest rider on the track.. he was well you get the idea
DSC_0686.jpg

After watching two races I started to get the hankerin to collect more dirt to defend my title so I hit the road again. This time going down 340 to pick up 240 north up to Sheapardstown and then across the river to follow the roads that meander alone the C&O canal.

Spring is definitely sprung in the mid-eastern states, there were yellows and lavenders and bright, bright greens everywhere, here is a shot of growth in the old C&O canal bed just down from Sheapardstown WV.
DSC_0692.jpg

After a while Harpers Ferry Road leaves the canal and heads up thru some farm land
DSC_0696.jpg

before dipping back down into the woods again.
DSC_0697.jpg

Once I got down to far side of Harpers Ferry I could see the big Inn on the cliff where they used to have a really great Sunday brunch, been meaning to go back and see if they still do.
DSC_0700.jpg

Then I wandered around some more back roads till I got back to Rt. 15 at Point of Rocks, MD, which when I went down to the canal parking area I discovered why it is so called, it is in fact, a Point of Rocks that sticks out of the cliff face just at (Potomac) rivers edge! Gee !!
DSC_0716.jpg

Then on back down 15 to 619 and home, arriving around 5 PM. All told, just over 200 very casual, laid back miles.

Oh yeah, here is the machine that started it all for me back in 1964
(someone was using it as a pit bike). I was given a ride on the back of one of these thru the streets of Hong Kong at the age of 14
DSC_0530.jpg

which you can read about here
My First Ride

RM

Back