• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Commuters' Corner

I commuted once on cross-country skis. I set the skis up in the hallway outside the office. It was just after a heavy snow and most sidewalks had not been cleared.

My commute was 0.6 miles by vehicle, about 0.5 miles with the more direct route on foot or skis.

Now that I'm retired, no more commute!

Harry

daily rider

I try to commute my short 21 mile freeway ride daily. I am usually able to run errands to the grocery/sams during the week and will stop riding under about 5 degrees Farenheit. I've really started commuting more since I've had a child. I am limited to other times to ride so it is more important.

I'll ride daily unless ice, snow and rain predicted at 40% or more. Great for my sanity.:D

Does commuting to my daily coffee klatch breakfast meeting at Micky D's qualify? My only addition for the process was to add a used bicycle bottle holder to my rear passenger foot peg to carry home a second helping of Micky's coffee...:D

I've been commuting year around in Seattle on two wheels since 2006. Even when I need to go somewhere besides work (prison or church...or Costco), I take the bike. The funny thing is, I have a perfectly good (and fun) car that sits in the driveway...a Subaru Outback XT turbo.

I'd rather be riding in 35F rain than in the summer. I trust other riders in those conditions. Anyone out there riding will be experienced also...or a fool. ;) During the summer, I often find other riders will join up with me. If I wanted a "group" ride...I'd have organized one. In Seattle, when the temps get above 50F and there's no rain in the forecast, the garage queens come out like a bug hatch on a lake. They are everywhere...and most have very little experience. The last thing I want, is someone riding 1 second behind me.

Then there are the zoom-splats who think the freeway is their race track, and we are all cones on that race track. Passing within my lane is their "right", and of course they have no idea if I'm going to move over to avoid a pot hole or not. Both groups of riders are accidents waiting to happen.

One thing I started doing years ago, is to ride in the summer like I do in the winter. Oh, I love the feel when I lean the bike over and take a corner about 20-30+ mph faster. Don't get me wrong. But I avoid metal manhole covers, white painted lines, etc. that are fine in the summer but not when rain hits them. And lane positioning is critical to protecting my space and being seen. In well over 100,000 miles, I've only hit my brakes hard about 6 times. One of those was for the GEICO squirrel. I locked up my front wheel on that one. As I was telling myself just how dumb that was, about 5 miles down the road, Bambi's aunt jumped out in front me.

Chris

Bluetooth headset is great

Holy thread-resurrection! The biggest boon to my commute in the last year was my purchase of a Sena SMH10. I normally prefer to just listen to the boxer engine and my thoughts when riding, but my commute became much more boring (mostly dead-straight highway) after a move a couple years ago. I download podcasts onto my iPhone and listen to them with the Sena. One of the upgraded models with FM radio would be nice but they were almost twice the cost. I'm not in the habit of messing around with phone calls while riding but the Sena is also nice during a commute when I don't want to miss an important of expected phone call.

Biggest commuting boon for 2016....I just this morning ordered a Klim Badlands jacket and Overland pants. No more carrying around rain gear!

Yeah, I have a good car, too that just sits there-rain riding is one of my faves. Yesterday, mine was the only bike out front of the building-today there are 10. No, group rides are not for me, either.

Back