Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Commuters' Corner

Short commute

I have a short commute. It's about 10 miles. I've got two routes: past the subdivisions at 35mph or the curvy country road at a quicker pace. I usually take the curvy country road. I'm generally a 12 month commuter, minus a week or so in February where it strikes me as not practical.

This is a small town and we don't have a rush hour, but we have a rush 20 minutes just before 8am and just after 5pm where everyone is changing locations. Home to work / work to home.

The polar vortex has messed up my pattern a bit. I've been getting by on a wimpy old battery and the bike hasn't been starting on the really cold (for here) mornings, so I've been digging the truck out of the leaves and taking it. While I have some reasonable gloves, and I'm only riding for 10-15 minutes, I can certainly see the value of heated grips!

My idea of a cool bike would be an electric. It would fit my commuting style and I've toyed with the idea of making one. It hasn't gotten past the 'toy with the idea' stage.

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by naddy100 View Post
    My idea of a cool bike would be an electric. It would fit my commuting style and I've toyed with the idea of making one. It hasn't gotten past the 'toy with the idea' stage.
    I like the idea of this as well. My commute is about 25 miles, part surface streets, part highway through an industrial corridor (big trucks). I admit I don't commute by bike as often as I once did... those trucks throw too much sand and the drivers here in Houston are getting more distracted and frightening every day, but I really do like the idea of an electric for my commute. The newest Zero Motorcycles are starting to approach "real" bike utility... we'll see how they progress.
    Last edited by jad01; 02-10-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

I rode every day but one last year & I hope to make it 100% this year. So far this winter has been the worst. My normal 45 minute commute home took 1 hour & 15 minutes in a snow storm 1 1/2 weeks ago & another storm is headed this way the middle of this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave Selvig
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar

Exclamation Commuter cagers.....

Commuted 114 miles (round) for 2 years until recently....I think 2 wheel commuters mix with a strange blend of (4 wheeler) motorists....commuters know the route/road/exits cold, unlike tourists or family travellers in many locations.......a negative is cager commuters are hell-bent to get to work...every car length is so damn precious to them!!!!
    Still commute an easy 15 mi (1 way) to/fro work...wakes me up fast....best part of my work-day...
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    I commute 24 miles each way on the 91 freeway in So Cal 3 days a week. Many people are afraid of the freeway, but once I am in the car pool lane, that is where I feel the safest. No cross traffic, and very few lane changers. The scariest part is getting from the on ramp to the car pool lane, which involves moving across 4 lanes of ugly traffic (on a curve, and usually slowing down). Using the bike and the HOV lane saves 15 to 30 minutes each way, and I get to ride to boot!
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

+1 on the car pool lanes!

Lkarl KJ6OCL / 2000, R1200C

I'd much rather do the freeway, no one's pulling out in front of you, though there are different sorts of hazards, to be sure. We can't use studs around here, but I do tip my hat to the fellow that posted the picture. Imagine that - studded knobbies on the front of an RT. We do have HOV lanes around here, though it is a fight to get over to the far side of the x-way to jump on them. I did miss a few days recently what with the icy roads.

Work was canceled for ice today and is canceled for tomorrow. My bike was sitting outside when I decided to go to the store for supplies. No pics, but there were icicles on hanging from the seat. I really should have covered it. I took the car.

Noel

Interior AK Commuter

I just noticed this forum. I guess I'm not very observant. I now commute almost year around since I added a side car to my airhead. Before that, only about 6 months of the year. My commute isn't very long compared to most of the others with a round trip of at around 12 - 20 miles depending on the route and other stops along the way. My lower cutoff is around -20°F but have had more problems with warm temperatures and freezing rain this winter. I run studded tires on the front and the pusher and can get around pretty good though deep snow is still a challenge.

Looking forward to what I can learn from other commuters.
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by richardak View Post
    I just noticed this forum. I guess I'm not very observant. I now commute almost year around since I added a side car to my airhead. Before that, only about 6 months of the year. My commute isn't very long compared to most of the others with a round trip of at around 12 - 20 miles depending on the route and other stops along the way. My lower cutoff is around -20°F but have had more problems with warm temperatures and freezing rain this winter. I run studded tires on the front and the pusher and can get around pretty good though deep snow is still a challenge.

Looking forward to what I can learn from other commuters.
    Compared to you I am sissy!
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

I commuted once on cross-country skis. I set the skis up in the hallway outside the office. It was just after a heavy snow and most sidewalks had not been cleared.

My commute was 0.6 miles by vehicle, about 0.5 miles with the more direct route on foot or skis.

Now that I'm retired, no more commute!

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

daily rider

I try to commute my short 21 mile freeway ride daily. I am usually able to run errands to the grocery/sams during the week and will stop riding under about 5 degrees Farenheit. I've really started commuting more since I've had a child. I am limited to other times to ride so it is more important.

I'll ride daily unless ice, snow and rain predicted at 40% or more. Great for my sanity.
    "It's not the speed of the ride that scares me....it's how quick I stop!"

02' Aprilia Futura "The Millennium Falcon"
    13' R 1200 GSA Triple Black

Does commuting to my daily coffee klatch breakfast meeting at Micky D's qualify? My only addition for the process was to add a used bicycle bottle holder to my rear passenger foot peg to carry home a second helping of Micky's coffee...

Nice to see this thread has survived-those who ride every day may not have time to post regularly.
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

I've been commuting year around in Seattle on two wheels since 2006. Even when I need to go somewhere besides work (prison or church...or Costco), I take the bike. The funny thing is, I have a perfectly good (and fun) car that sits in the driveway...a Subaru Outback XT turbo.

I'd rather be riding in 35F rain than in the summer. I trust other riders in those conditions. Anyone out there riding will be experienced also...or a fool. During the summer, I often find other riders will join up with me. If I wanted a "group" ride...I'd have organized one. In Seattle, when the temps get above 50F and there's no rain in the forecast, the garage queens come out like a bug hatch on a lake. They are everywhere...and most have very little experience. The last thing I want, is someone riding 1 second behind me.

Then there are the zoom-splats who think the freeway is their race track, and we are all cones on that race track. Passing within my lane is their "right", and of course they have no idea if I'm going to move over to avoid a pot hole or not. Both groups of riders are accidents waiting to happen.

One thing I started doing years ago, is to ride in the summer like I do in the winter. Oh, I love the feel when I lean the bike over and take a corner about 20-30+ mph faster. Don't get me wrong. But I avoid metal manhole covers, white painted lines, etc. that are fine in the summer but not when rain hits them. And lane positioning is critical to protecting my space and being seen. In well over 100,000 miles, I've only hit my brakes hard about 6 times. One of those was for the GEICO squirrel. I locked up my front wheel on that one. As I was telling myself just how dumb that was, about 5 miles down the road, Bambi's aunt jumped out in front me.

Chris