Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Commuters' Corner

I commute 9 months of the year. 135 round trip.

Pelican 1450 on the tail for the work stuff. (hyper lights mounted underneath)
    Tank bag for the gloves and misc
    iPhone in a pelican 1150 on the steering for music

5 gallon gas can at home for convenience top off

2 piece Roadcrafter . Colder in the AM and warmer in the evening. Work knows I'm in when they hear the "whoosh whoosh whoosh" of the suit coming down the hall.

Haven't hit anything yet!

Fred Trimble
    +1 on the 'whoosh, whoosh, whoosh'!
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

@Teepke....Thx for the RadarScope tip. You can never have too many weather app's, especially here! The bay area is weather schizophrenic.

I've dragged my Kriega 20 around for over a year and it still looks brand new. After my first trip, I bought a couple 10's and use the 3 of them as luggage for touring. Sometimes as saddlebags, sometimes as lumbar support when I stack them on the pillion. For commuting, I shove my iPad (ensconced in it's folio) in the 20 and have never worried about it getting wet, or banged up. I'm a damn Kriega loyalist at this point.

I've never had to roll over anything in my lane, but I have seen random items on the road and take the opportunity to practice "target fixation" exercises. I test myself to see how quickly I can choose my line; away from whatever captivating pink plastic bag is floating across my lane.

For music, I use a bluetooth remote for my iPhone: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iEZCli...I6/ref=lh_ni_t

The bluetooth remote is possibly my favorite piece of gear. I love the option of pausing, changing volume and music tracks while I'm riding. Wirelessly. It's water resistant but not waterproof, so don't use it in rain. Also, you will have to replace the battery every couple months (and possibly right after it's shipped to you if it's been stored for a long time).

Thumbs up

Living in Florida I commute year round. The trip is only 12.1 miles each way and traffic only comes into play when going to work as my hours are 1530 > 2400.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

A nice respite is to come in on Sunday mornings when there is no traffic...so different than dodging the bullets all through the week!
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

My new job is 63 miles(one way). Going from Chillicothe,oh to Westerville,Oh. I'm still getting my 78 R100/7 ready for service. Rt 23 isn't bad,but I-270 can get real busy on northside. I'm thinking of a Hi-Viz vest over my jacket (already have reflective tape on helmet). Does anyone make armour chaps or something that would easily slide over my work pants?

If you look in the ads in the ON mag, there are vendors that sell armor that is worn UNDER your clothes. I saw a guy on a sport bike wearing this getup over shorts in the middle of summer. I wouldn't recommend that, but I found it intriguing. There are armored pants (Rev' IT) available for over the pants, but they would be pretty hot in summer. I switch to summer armored pants once the weather breaks, then I keep a spare pair of regular pants at work to change into (sometimes). Yes, that means that I just keep the mc pants on, mostly, because they are comfortable and because I can.
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

Commuters corner.....

I think thats a good idea. I'll commute 40 minutes one way when the wheather permits and deal with about 60% expressway and 40% stop and go. With the cost of gas going up there are going to be a lot more riders out there trying not to bust their budget on gas.

+1

I'm still getting my gear together. I did order a zip n rip vest to wear over my tourmaster jacket. Got reflective tape(red/white)on my helmet. Got same tape on saddlebags. I'm still searching for something to wear over my dockers. I may upgrade my stock airhead charging system,when I have more funds.

I have a relatively short commute, no more than 10 miles depending on which location is required by my job on a given day. It's great arriving to work relaxed and alert. I look forward to the ride home at the end of the day, arriving "unwound" and ready to spend quality time with my family rather than still working off job-related steam.
    2012 F650GS

What, now a commuters forum?...................................thanks, all the good it does me now that I'm retired after commuting by motorcycle for decades

I guess I could go back to work so I could post here No, I will pass on that.

I will however live in my past for a moment. I did love my commute to work; some of the most beautiful redwood lined two lane twisties to be found.

I guess I still work, teaching MSF and running motorcycle support for triathlons............those two may not count as work, work is not supposed to be that much fun

Anyway, great forum idea. My other main sport is bicycles and the main bicycle forum has had a commuting sub forum for years and it is one of the most active sub forums.

Well done MOA

Nice ride into work this morning. No traffic, and the ice is finally gone from my side streets due to 2 unusual snow events, for this area. It's always fun riding across the James River and seeing those aircraft carriers in the mist. Once, I thought I saw a whale, but it was a submarine headed out to sea.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDabbs View Post
    ... Once, I thought I saw a whale, but it was a submarine headed out to sea.
    Once upon a time I had a great commute across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Lived in Gig Harbor and worked on Fort Lewis. Occasionally saw both submarines AND whales in the waters of the Puget Sound. Now, let's see ... think I have some photos somewhere ...

Thanks for the reminder.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    I'm still getting my gear together. I did order a zip n rip vest to wear over my tourmaster jacket. Got reflective tape(red/white)on my helmet. Got same tape on saddlebags. I'm still searching for something to wear over my dockers. I may upgrade my stock airhead charging system,when I have more funds.
    Most of my commutes are to go to various committee and council meetings and twice a month to board of supervisors meetings (Sunday go to church clothes). I have found that a pair of regular leather chaps (about $26 at Leather up) work quite well to keep me warm in the cold weather and protect my slacks from bug guts and road junk. They also don't cause wrinkling and are fast and easy on and off and stow. These commutes are usually a 45 minute (one way) ride over two lane twisties with constant severe grade changes....not a complaint! Sometimes an hour and a half to two hours (one way) still use the chaps. I have been thinking about buying a pair of mesh over pants, however a $300 - $400 investment for commuting that requires a quick on and off of jacket and over pants does not make much sense when the leather chaps work so well.

Lkarl KJ6OCL / 2000, R1200C

I use Rev 'IT gear and just leave my stuff on at work. This is true for the mesh pants and the winter pants. The bottoms are not overpants but riding pants and they breath nicely once inside the office. I mean, I do have a spare set of clothes I carry, but I just don't bother changing. Ride what ya got, and wear what ya go - though, I must say that generally the modern stuff is more effective. I do drag out the Hein Gerike V Pilot jacket now and again when I ride my old bike, though, of course, it has no armor. When I was rear-ended a couple of years ago (totalled my CLC) the EM crew was amazed that I had no cuts, scratches or broken bones, etc.