• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Commuters' Corner

My new job is 63 miles(one way). Going from Chillicothe,oh to Westerville,Oh. I'm still getting my 78 R100/7 ready for service. Rt 23 isn't bad,but I-270 can get real busy on northside. I'm thinking of a Hi-Viz vest over my jacket (already have reflective tape on helmet). Does anyone make armour chaps or something that would easily slide over my work pants?

If you look in the ads in the ON mag, there are vendors that sell armor that is worn UNDER your clothes. I saw a guy on a sport bike wearing this getup over shorts in the middle of summer. I wouldn't recommend that, but I found it intriguing. There are armored pants (Rev' IT) available for over the pants, but they would be pretty hot in summer. I switch to summer armored pants once the weather breaks, then I keep a spare pair of regular pants at work to change into (sometimes). Yes, that means that I just keep the mc pants on, mostly, because they are comfortable and because I can.

Commuters corner.....

I think thats a good idea. I'll commute 40 minutes one way when the wheather permits and deal with about 60% expressway and 40% stop and go. With the cost of gas going up there are going to be a lot more riders out there trying not to bust their budget on gas.

+1

I'm still getting my gear together. I did order a zip n rip vest to wear over my tourmaster jacket. Got reflective tape(red/white)on my helmet. Got same tape on saddlebags. I'm still searching for something to wear over my dockers. I may upgrade my stock airhead charging system,when I have more funds.

I have a relatively short commute, no more than 10 miles depending on which location is required by my job on a given day. It's great arriving to work relaxed and alert. I look forward to the ride home at the end of the day, arriving "unwound" and ready to spend quality time with my family rather than still working off job-related steam.

What, now a commuters forum?...................................thanks, all the good it does me now that I'm retired after commuting by motorcycle for decades :D

I guess I could go back to work so I could post here :uhoh No, I will pass on that.

I will however live in my past for a moment. I did love my commute to work; some of the most beautiful redwood lined two lane twisties to be found.

i-F27WBnG-L.jpg

I guess I still work, teaching MSF and running motorcycle support for triathlons............those two may not count as work, work is not supposed to be that much fun:bliss

Anyway, great forum idea. My other main sport is bicycles and the main bicycle forum has had a commuting sub forum for years and it is one of the most active sub forums.

Well done MOA

Nice ride into work this morning. No traffic, and the ice is finally gone from my side streets due to 2 unusual snow events, for this area. It's always fun riding across the James River and seeing those aircraft carriers in the mist. Once, I thought I saw a whale, but it was a submarine headed out to sea.

... Once, I thought I saw a whale, but it was a submarine headed out to sea.

Once upon a time I had a great commute across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Lived in Gig Harbor and worked on Fort Lewis. Occasionally saw both submarines AND whales in the waters of the Puget Sound. Now, let's see ... think I have some photos somewhere ...

Thanks for the reminder.

I'm still getting my gear together. I did order a zip n rip vest to wear over my tourmaster jacket. Got reflective tape(red/white)on my helmet. Got same tape on saddlebags. I'm still searching for something to wear over my dockers. I may upgrade my stock airhead charging system,when I have more funds.

Most of my commutes are to go to various committee and council meetings and twice a month to board of supervisors meetings (Sunday go to church clothes). I have found that a pair of regular leather chaps (about $26 at Leather up) work quite well to keep me warm in the cold weather and protect my slacks from bug guts and road junk. They also don't cause wrinkling and are fast and easy on and off and stow. These commutes are usually a 45 minute (one way) ride over two lane twisties with constant severe grade changes....not a complaint! Sometimes an hour and a half to two hours (one way) still use the chaps. I have been thinking about buying a pair of mesh over pants, however a $300 - $400 investment for commuting that requires a quick on and off of jacket and over pants does not make much sense when the leather chaps work so well.

I use Rev 'IT gear and just leave my stuff on at work. This is true for the mesh pants and the winter pants. The bottoms are not overpants but riding pants and they breath nicely once inside the office. I mean, I do have a spare set of clothes I carry, but I just don't bother changing. Ride what ya got, and wear what ya go - though, I must say that generally the modern stuff is more effective. I do drag out the Hein Gerike V Pilot jacket now and again when I ride my old bike, though, of course, it has no armor. When I was rear-ended a couple of years ago (totalled my CLC) the EM crew was amazed that I had no cuts, scratches or broken bones, etc.

Short commute

I have a short commute. It's about 10 miles. I've got two routes: past the subdivisions at 35mph or the curvy country road at a quicker pace. I usually take the curvy country road. I'm generally a 12 month commuter, minus a week or so in February where it strikes me as not practical.

This is a small town and we don't have a rush hour, but we have a rush 20 minutes just before 8am and just after 5pm where everyone is changing locations. Home to work / work to home.

The polar vortex has messed up my pattern a bit. I've been getting by on a wimpy old battery and the bike hasn't been starting on the really cold (for here) mornings, so I've been digging the truck out of the leaves and taking it. While I have some reasonable gloves, and I'm only riding for 10-15 minutes, I can certainly see the value of heated grips!

My idea of a cool bike would be an electric. It would fit my commuting style and I've toyed with the idea of making one. It hasn't gotten past the 'toy with the idea' stage.

Noel

My idea of a cool bike would be an electric. It would fit my commuting style and I've toyed with the idea of making one. It hasn't gotten past the 'toy with the idea' stage.

I like the idea of this as well. My commute is about 25 miles, part surface streets, part highway through an industrial corridor (big trucks). I admit I don't commute by bike as often as I once did... those trucks throw too much sand and the drivers here in Houston are getting more distracted and frightening every day, but I really do like the idea of an electric for my commute. The newest Zero Motorcycles are starting to approach "real" bike utility... we'll see how they progress.

Last edited:
I rode every day but one last year & I hope to make it 100% this year. So far this winter has been the worst. My normal 45 minute commute home took 1 hour & 15 minutes in a snow storm 1 1/2 weeks ago & another storm is headed this way the middle of this week.

Attachments

• Snow 002.jpg
    Snow 002.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 196
Commuter cagers.....

Commuted 114 miles (round) for 2 years until recently....I think 2 wheel commuters mix with a strange blend of (4 wheeler) motorists....commuters know the route/road/exits cold, unlike tourists or family travellers in many locations.......a negative is cager commuters are hell-bent to get to work...every car length is so damn precious to them!!!!
Still commute an easy 15 mi (1 way) to/fro work...wakes me up fast....best part of my work-day...:clap

I commute 24 miles each way on the 91 freeway in So Cal 3 days a week. Many people are afraid of the freeway, but once I am in the car pool lane, that is where I feel the safest. No cross traffic, and very few lane changers. The scariest part is getting from the on ramp to the car pool lane, which involves moving across 4 lanes of ugly traffic (on a curve, and usually slowing down). Using the bike and the HOV lane saves 15 to 30 minutes each way, and I get to ride to boot!

I'd much rather do the freeway, no one's pulling out in front of you, though there are different sorts of hazards, to be sure. We can't use studs around here, but I do tip my hat to the fellow that posted the picture. Imagine that - studded knobbies on the front of an RT. We do have HOV lanes around here, though it is a fight to get over to the far side of the x-way to jump on them. I did miss a few days recently what with the icy roads.

Work was canceled for ice today and is canceled for tomorrow. My bike was sitting outside when I decided to go to the store for supplies. No pics, but there were icicles on hanging from the seat. I really should have covered it. I took the car.

Noel

Interior AK Commuter

I just noticed this forum. I guess I'm not very observant. I now commute almost year around since I added a side car to my airhead. Before that, only about 6 months of the year. My commute isn't very long compared to most of the others with a round trip of at around 12 - 20 miles depending on the route and other stops along the way. My lower cutoff is around -20°F but have had more problems with warm temperatures and freezing rain this winter. I run studded tires on the front and the pusher and can get around pretty good though deep snow is still a challenge.

Looking forward to what I can learn from other commuters.

I just noticed this forum. I guess I'm not very observant. I now commute almost year around since I added a side car to my airhead. Before that, only about 6 months of the year. My commute isn't very long compared to most of the others with a round trip of at around 12 - 20 miles depending on the route and other stops along the way. My lower cutoff is around -20°F but have had more problems with warm temperatures and freezing rain this winter. I run studded tires on the front and the pusher and can get around pretty good though deep snow is still a challenge.

Looking forward to what I can learn from other commuters.

Compared to you I am sissy! :bow:clap:bow

Back