• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pictorial--2002 1150RT Spline lube

Well, this is it, what you'll be looking at when everything is ready to button up again. Looks like who did it and ran!

Attachments

• Spline lube 8th day  _015.jpg
    Spline lube 8th day _015.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Once you have cleaned the old grease etc from the splines and clutch hub, you will want to use Honda Moly 60 Paste or GD 525 Moly Grease available at Beemer Boneyard. Both are recommended for this job and you should only apply it lightly to the splines. I used a tooth brush and did not cake it on, just a thin layer.

Attachments

• Spline lube 9th days  _001_06.jpg
    Spline lube 9th days _001_06.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
To finalize, I want to say that aside from replacing the clutch slave cylinder and gasket, I also replaced the seal. In my case it was a little more difficult than others since it appeared that sealant was used. By using the other links and info, you'll find that by drilling a hole in the seal and screwing in a screw, it can be pulled right out. I knocked one side in a bit and than yanked it out.

On reassembly, concerning the air box, don't forget what I said in post #28. You'll be a happier man.

If you replace the clutch slave cylinder, you will need to replace the dot 4 fluid in that circuit. I went to the CVS pharmacy and bought a 600 cc syringe and used that to push the fluid up to the reservoir from the bleeder valve with rubber tubing One thing worth mentioning is that once the splines are lubed up and fluid and slave is replaced, you will notice a definite improvement on how the clutch lever feels. I thought something was wrong, it feels very new so to speak. Almost too easy to pull in.

The other thing worth mentioning is the gear shift indicator wire. Once you have fished that out run it along the wire harness and secure it where it was. I found some tech info on this type of connector. Go to this link and go down to page 10. There is a description how you can unlock the pins and remove the connector shell to fish this wire through the impossible space.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/downloads/wiring_pdfs/deutsch_dtm_connectors.pdf

Instead of using red loctite as recommended by BMW, I used the medium blue which will provide the same result with less chance of destroying threads, but it still remains your choice.

This document is far from complete for this job and the links provided will aid you greatly. I hope I have helped anyone performing this job as the info and help from other members here has done for me, this was my opportunity to give something back; I am grateful to be able to do this here for you. Thanks! -Greg O

Last edited:
questions

Preparing for my maiden clutch voyage, wondering if i MUST completely remove the clutch disk to get it clean, etc...? I'm not at all worried about wear/cant really afford the parts & just trying to keep it alive at lowest cost.
I will be replacing some seals though. Not for the eng unless theyre leaking.
Also, how long do the "home-made" trans alignment tools need to be?

The bolts used to pull the tranny are about 4 inches long. Use the other links I provided, the other guys included some really great info and after speaking to a few of them, they are good resources for reference. They helped me out quite a bit through this procedure.