• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A small easy good thing to add to the Rally

Just wondering, did the insurance company offer an increment to rally policy that would cover good samaritan type acts? If so, what was the price? If not, would MOA ask now?

a small easy good thing to add to the ....................

tire repair kit and mini compressor or tire pump.

sorry nobody stopped. did your friend try to flag someone down? show some leg? not trying to be cute, but it worked for me once. don't ask.

Just wondering, did the insurance company offer an increment to rally policy that would cover good samaritan type acts? If so, what was the price? If not, would MOA ask now?

All of the insurance companies I contacted (including the event insurance company that the MOA uses) gave the same answer: The person who was transporting the motorcycle was responsible.

Because of that, we decided that it would have to be the responsibility of the person who owned the motorcycle to manage the transportation of his/her bike.

Check with your motorcycle insurance carrier. I have Roadside Assistance on my Progressive policy for $10/year.

My first choice would still be a tire repair kit and pump.

Welcome to the world of a litigious society. :(

We stopped having this committee in 2007. The reason was because if something would happen to the motorcycle during transport, the volunteer with the trailer/truck is responsible for the damages. Because of that, we were advised by our insurance carrier and our legal counsel that the club should no longer offer this assistance.

It's a sad reflection of the times we live in.

Would you have exposure if you just gave out the names and phone numbers of local-to-the-rally towing companies that do bike pickups?

Welcome to the world of a litigious society. :(

We stopped having this committee in 2007. The reason was because if something would happen to the motorcycle during transport, the volunteer with the trailer/truck is responsible for the damages. Because of that, we were advised by our insurance carrier and our legal counsel that the club should no longer offer this assistance.

It's a sad reflection of the times we live in.

Sounds like the anonymous book just took a shot in the behind!

It's rumored that those renegade Airheads help one another out in this type of situation.

I think Sue explained it well. We have not had a Rescue Committee for several years.

However, as chair of the Communications Committee, I have contacted local towing companies in the area of the rally to develop a list of those businesses who are available to transport motorcycles to the rally site. This would be done at the rider's expense or with his insurance company. I am certain this was done at Bloomsburg, although the person who answered the phone may not have had that list available. I will chair Communications again this year in Sedalia and I will again prepare the appropriate list.

I cannot respond to why the tow company would not enter our grounds. Perhaps it is because we are a closed event or it is just their policy.

Thank you for your concern, but without a Rescue Committee for logical reasons, we believe we are providing an appropriate alternative.

Where ever you Ride

Always carrying a cell phone, the anonymous book, tire plug/path kit, mini pump and/or a can of fix-a-flat. Personally I follow the Golden Rule and have stopped for 1 airhead/clutch problem in OH on her way to Bloomsburg, 1 '09 Indian/dead battery, and 1 Honda crotch rocket/looking for directions. Have trailer, will help!

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

Something is wrong when a motorcycle rider will not stop and see if someone is in need of help. I have always stopped even in the car. I will turn around on the interstate and check on someone going the other way. My wife has also done this since she was with me on one of the times we were stuck on the rode.

Don

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the Platinum upgrade for MOA membership.

It includes 100 mile towing for up to 3 bikes. $26 a year more on your membership.

:dance:dance:dance

However, as chair of the Communications Committee, I have contacted local towing companies in the area of the rally to develop a list of those businesses who are available to transport motorcycles to the rally site. This would be done at the rider's expense or with his insurance company. I am certain this was done at Bloomsburg, although the person who answered the phone may not have had that list available. I will chair Communications again this year in Sedalia and I will again prepare the appropriate list.

Perfect, thank you.

I believe that the helmet is to be placed on the road, behind the bike, for the above signal.

Paul, I think Amiles is saying the same thing. The Helmet far enough back, depending on type road, speed, ect... that a motorcyclist moving either direction can notice the helmet/signal so that other movement near the bike is not confused.

Two problems with that - given temps, rain, wind or a crappy shoulder surface - no way will my expensive helmet end up sitting on the ground X number of feet behind my bike.

Secondly, non-motorcyclists would be clueless as to that being some sort of alert.

I can't remember where this hint came from, but it's good and topical...........

Put the word "HELP" in reflective orange tape on the bottom of your panniers if so equipped. You can remove them and place them on the side of the road for approaching traffic to see. Not visible if you're in the proper upright orientation.

I think i will try to find a folding red triangle before my next long trip. With this deployed, i would be very surprised to be passed by other bikers.

A tire pump and plugs too, for sure.

This previous post is a great idea, and it really should go 'viral.' Sort of a universal way to get attention.

You will see it soon as a bonafide Touring Tip! :deal

Last edited:
Any of the truck suppliers or truck stops have these-

1865.jpg

They are 3 to a box and run around $25.00 for the set. They fold-up and are weighted on the bottom. OM

Check out Amazon. Individual triangles for as little as $3.

Just got one - compact when collapsed, and all one hinged unit to assemble, so no pieces to misplace. :thumb

Now in the bottom of my trunk. It will always travel with me, and may I never need to use it.

Wasn't Helmet on the side of road the sign that you needed help.

Don

Joe Average will have no clue as to what it means. Triangles with reflection is pretty much universal that you are having a problem. Although few of us ride at night anyway.

Jack

Last edited:
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the Platinum upgrade for MOA membership.

It includes 100 mile towing for up to 3 bikes. $26 a year more on your membership.

:dance:dance:dance
I have it ---good deal so far--have not had to use it.

Jack

Wasn't Helmet on the side of road the sign that you needed help.

Don

FYI, all new students in the BRC are usually taught that since that expensive helmet can easily be accidentally bumped off the bike, vibrate off if the cycle is still running, or does not need the narrow depression that constantly sticking it on a mirror will create in your protective foam liner, they should place them on the ground. And they DO, since it makes sense to them - not bound by the tradition of "how Uncle Wilber always did it."

They're going to end up there sooner or later for the afore mentioned reasons anyways. Better that the journey be a gentle one.

So, a helmet on the ground is no longer going to register with me or many other passing motorcyclists that you might need assistance.

Get a traffic triangle. :dance

Back