• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike to Bike radio comm using the Shuberth C3

Whosoever

My son recently bought one of the new C3 helmets with the BMW comm system in it. Works well for his personal needs. I have a Starcom on my bike and have used a CB radio for comm with other bikes/vehicles. We have been trying to find a way to use an external radio ie. CB or FRMS so that we can talk with each other. So far we haven't found it. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

I am editing this thread as I'm surprised nobody has tried this. What I am trying to say above is this. Is there a way "using the BMW Communication System" to "add" either a CB or FRMS two way radio? With the Starcom system it is just a matter of plugging the radio of choice into the unit. With this clarification....has anyone with the BMW Comm system "added" an external 2-way radio?

Last edited:
Hi Whosoever,

I see that no one has replied to your very good question, and I'm not sure that my response will add much value.

I have the BMW Communications System installed in my System 6 helmet, and have read through the documentation that was provided with the purchase. The system is really based on Bluetooth, and it's inherent limitations as to distance for communicating helmet to helmet. One source that I read kind of positioned the system as suitable for communication within 10 meters.

I have paired the helmet directly to my iPhone 4, and to my Nav IV without any trouble, so I'm thinking that if you could find an external radio that had a Bluetooth interface, it might work. The caveat that I would put on this is that in my 30 years in the IT business, it's easy to be wrong.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck in your search for a solution.

Jack

Uclear makes a dongle that pairs with Bluetooth
WT300 allows bluetooth to be paired with CB/GMRS radios
Not sure if it will pair with the BMW intercom though
Their number is 1-855-BIT-WAVE
Good luck
I went with J&M wired headset on my C3
Midland FRS/GMRS GTX5000 works great

Hi Whosoever,

I see that no one has replied to your very good question, and I'm not sure that my response will add much value.

I have the BMW Communications System installed in my System 6 helmet, and have read through the documentation that was provided with the purchase. The system is really based on Bluetooth, and it's inherent limitations as to distance for communicating helmet to helmet. One source that I read kind of positioned the system as suitable for communication within 10 meters.

I have paired the helmet directly to my iPhone 4, and to my Nav IV without any trouble, so I'm thinking that if you could find an external radio that had a Bluetooth interface, it might work. The caveat that I would put on this is that in my 30 years in the IT business, it's easy to be wrong.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck in your search for a solution.

Jack
Thank you for your reply. A few years back we used Chatterboxes during a bike trip to Florida from WV. We came upon a surprise split in the road and due to our inability to both be in the same lane....he went one way and I the other. The radios paid for themselves on that day in that we were able to stay in contact. Now we have better bikes and equipment but are challenged to be able to communicate over that 10 meter distance...when infact we need at least a 2 mile range. Thanks for your reply.

Uclear makes a dongle that pairs with Bluetooth
WT300 allows bluetooth to be paired with CB/GMRS radios
Not sure if it will pair with the BMW intercom though
Their number is 1-855-BIT-WAVE
Good luck
I went with J&M wired headset on my C3
Midland FRS/GMRS GTX5000 works great

Thanks for your reply....I am going to check this out.

Back