• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Any URAL mechanics in the house?

lmo1131

A buddy of mine has asked me to help him service his new-to-him 2010 Ural Patrol.

Looked simple enough, I've been wrenching on my /5 fro the last thirty-eight years...

But is the valve clearance really .002"-.004" on BOTH intake and exhaust?

The Owner's Manual is somewhat confusing. In one paragraph they state the electronic ignition system automatically adjusts the timing within one degree. In the next they say to pull the ignition cover to set timing. :dunno

Thanks

We now return to our regularly scheduled program....

A buddy of mine has asked me to help him service his new-to-him 2010 Ural Patrol.

Looked simple enough, I've been wrenching on my /5 fro the last thirty-eight years...

But is the valve clearance really .002"-.004" on BOTH intake and exhaust?

The Owner's Manual is somewhat confusing. In one paragraph they state the electronic ignition system automatically adjusts the timing within one degree. In the next they say to pull the ignition cover to set timing. :dunno

Thanks

We now return to our regularly scheduled program....

Yes. Both intake and exhaust are set to the same spec.

The automatic adjustment refers to the advancing and retarding of the timing with respect to engine speed.

The manual will walk you through setting the timing, using a timing light and rotating the ignition unit to center the timing mark in the window in the engine case. The ignition cover is in the front of the engine and will let you see and rotate the ignition unit.

To set the ignition timing, proceed as follows:
-Remove timing inspection plug and ignition cover.
-Connect timing light and start engine.
-Flash timing light into inspection window with engine at idle (800-1000rpm).
-Look for first mark to be centered in the view window.
-Adjust timing plate by rotating left or right to center the timing mark in view window.
-Tighten the fastening screws of the timing plate.

It's also highly advisable to check the head bolts for correct torq values prior to checking the valve tappet clearances..probably the same recommendation as your BMW /5

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

'05 URAL 'Troyka'

It's also highly advisable to check the head bolts for correct torq values prior to checking the valve tappet clearances..probably the same recommendation as your BMW /5...

When checking torque in reality you are re-torquing them.
I've been under the impression you back them off and re-torque to spec. and not just throw a wrench on them.

My 2?ó

Back