• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I think I want a cruiser

H

HODAG

for those of you that read me on occasion its nothing new for me to fall in lust with different bikes. However, now i think I want a cruiser. Present owners tell me the pro's and con's of one.
by the way in the last month I've wanted 6 other bikes so there is no immenint purchase , but who knows.
what I see I like,
kinda classic styling, with a touch of modern BMW, always wanted a bike with pinstripping.
they seem to be going cheap, but not free. (limiting factor)

what I don't like,
to much chrome, heard its anemic on power

what I wonder about
seating and touring comfort
wind protection
power

Mark11LT said:
for those of you that read me on occasion its nothing new for me to fall in lust with different bikes. However, now i think I want a cruiser. Present owners tell me the pro's and con's of one.
by the way in the last month I've wanted 6 other bikes so there is no immenint purchase , but who knows.
what I see I like,
kinda classic styling, with a touch of modern BMW, always wanted a bike with pinstripping.
they seem to be going cheap, but not free. (limiting factor)

what I don't like,
to much chrome, heard its anemic on power

what I wonder about
seating and touring comfort
wind protection
power

BG and RTGIRL both told me they woulds stop riding with me if I got the R12CLC that went out the door for 12k. I was bummed.

Funny...

I think I want a sportbike. :wave

The BMW "C" bikes are deceptive, IMHO. Very comfortable, unique looks. They're not at all like Japanese or American cruisers.

Even though I'm no kid, I actually prefer my feet beneath my butt, and a slightly leaned forward riding position. The new K12S would fit the bill very nicely.

Braddog said:
Even though I'm no kid, I actually prefer my feet beneath my butt, and a slightly leaned forward riding position. The new K12S would fit the bill very nicely.

Thats so 2 days ago want

I have a sport tourer and a sportbike, and I sat on a Moto Guzzi California today and I fell in LOVE. I will have to think of something to name my new Italian cruiser...

Well Ernie-

I started with a Yamaha V Star (cruiser) and my biggest complaints were:

No cornering clearance
Too wide to fit on comfortably
Seat wasn't comfortable

Biggest Plus
I still miss the floor boards, but don't think they would work on an RT.

Man, you don't want a cruiser. It's such pain when you get off the bike to buy gas and a twinkie. A few people start gathering around and start asking questions about the bike. Like "Wow, what's that thing in the front?" "That's the telelever." The only positive aspects about getting a cruiser are that you'll improve your skills in the technical knowledge of the bike and public speaking. And, no, my cruiser ain't for sale....

Don't let the secret get out

Some of the folks on www.chromeheads.org even own more than one BMW cruiser. Those of us who own them are comfortable that it doesn't compare to any other cruiser on the market or to any other BMW, either. We're fine with that. See, if you get a cruiser, then next thing we know, you'll tell everyone how it does not have forward controls so your feet are under you enough to rise on the bumps, and you actually lean a little forward, so you can really lean into corners, and how it's plenty fast due to its torque curve, and how it's skinny so you can lean it far enough to scrape the pegs, and nearly the bags; oh yeah, that's if you get a C, the CL is a different animal, too much trail in my opinion. It's true these won't do 140 mph, not even downhill. Dang. What a waste.

Mine isn't for sale either.

i'm saying this as a joke, because i can't resist:

cruiser rhymes with....

cruiser

Mark---------I have a cruiser Honda VAlkyrie----comfortable/fast--better wind pertection than 1150 RT---and thought I wanted a sport tourer---bought a RT1150 and now I,m not sure I don't like the VAlk better------but that is after only 150 miles---we'll see :dunno --Apple

I'd got with Gina, or Lola, or Gina Lola....

BobFV1 said:
I have a sport tourer and a sportbike, and I sat on a Moto Guzzi California today and I fell in LOVE. I will have to think of something to name my new Italian cruiser...

...you get the idea.

My take on the Guzzi cruiser style bikes is that while they look like a traditional cruiser, the riding position is more "standard". You're feet aren't as far forward as on other cruisers, etc.

I've only sat on Guzzi's, but I like them, too.

When it comes to Japanese cruisers, they look nice, probably perform OK, but I sold my Shadow this past Saturday, and didn't shed a tear.

Brad - have you seen the 06 version of the H-D V-Rod called the "Street Rod"? There's an article in the current AMA mag - supposed to have 120 BHP and an upright seating position.

But that Guzzi - man, that was nice - if it's there next Saturday when i get back home, I'm grabbing it. Might have to sleep in the dog house, though.....

Mark11LT said:

Hey Mark,

I'm not a present or past owner of a croozer, but I've ridden several on various occasions. I found them to be underpowered, slow, uncomfortable, loud, and handle poorly. Why do you want one? :doh

I traded in a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad (1500CC V-twin cruiser) for my K1200LT.

What I liked about the cruiser...

The Vulcan had a much more comfortable stock seat and floorboards. I did several 500+ mile days on the original bike with no modifications, and could still walk normally when I got off. There were lots of accessories available at reasonable costs, so you could customize and personalize the bike fairly easily. Front tires lasted 20,000 miles. Rears good for about 10,000. OE windshield and hard bags were nice for traveling. Easy and inexpensive maintenance! Change the oil and filter every 3-4 K miles, and just ride it! No tupperware to remove!

What I didn't like about the cruiser...

The thing handled like a garbage truck! You have to force it into turns that you don't even notice on the Beemer. Gas mileage was lousy, and with the small (4.2 gallon) tank, you had to stop for gas every 100 miles. It had nice low end torque, but no top end speed. Wide open down hill would get 105 MPH if the wind was in the right direction. 800 lb bike with no reverse gear.

Would I buy another cruiser?

Aaahhhhhhhh..... NO!

I've had a long standing desire to buy an HD Road King in dark purple. Add some beach bars, a set of those nifty plastic cases and an old style cop shield and I'm good to go.

Not very fast, mind you, but good to go nonetheless.

Of course, hotrod parts are cheap and easy to install for the TC88.

KBasa said:
I've had a long standing desire to buy an HD Road King in dark purple. Add some beach bars, a set of those nifty plastic cases and an old style cop shield and I'm good to go.

How long have you worked as a Prince impersonator?
:stick

Like Jetdog used to, I have a 2000 Kawasaki 1500 Nomad (Fi) that I bought new. It's really a sweet bike, very comfortable (nice spread out riding position, with feet in natural position and knees about 90 degrees - not way out forward - and a comfortable reach to the bars). Weather protection is excellent, and that engine has a beatiful thrum that results in a very mellow riding experience. It also has plenty of power for what it is supposed to do, which is allow long distance touring at a reasonable pace. While it handles well, it's not nimble, and you want to ride at a more stately pace than on more agile bikes. In short, it's fun to ride slow.

That said, it's at last for sale. I really bought it for touring, and used it that way for several years, but more recently have been using my R1150R for touring, as well as a lot of other stuff. Using an almost 800 pound touring cruiser for local use is kind of overkill, so reluctantly, the faithful Nomad is looking for a new home. (Point of interest, it's the only bike I've ever owned that has never used a measurable drop of oil). I'll miss it though --

my first bmw was a 2003 montana. i liked it a lot. loved the looks. added staintune pipes. loads of comments wherever i parked it. just decided i really wanted the RT.

Back