• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Dragon Lady Rides Again!

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
Last weekend, we celebrated my grandmom's 100th birthday. Thanks to AngysDad in the Side Car forum, we were able to hook up with Michael Oliver in Sebastian Florida who provided her transportation to the party.

More to come on this story detailing the amazing reach of the internet and the motorcycling community we participate in. Meanwhile, here's the video.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bWO45atlz9c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What a WONDERFUL video. And Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries was so apropos. I enjoyed it almost as much as, I'm sure, Mrs. Kline did! My hat's off to those who arranged such a treat.

That was only one of many one-liners.

My fav was just after she met Mike and yells out, "Hey, why don't you all go ahead and I'll stay here with him!"

She is a scream!

Sometimes a little effort can bring great results.

I love granny's smile.

I wonder which side of the grass I'll be on when I hit the century mark!

That's great Tracy! Somewhere I have a picture of a friend taking a 70 year old grandma around a racetrack on a racing sidecar. Again a marvelous smile!!

Thanks for this Tracy. . .what a wonderful video. You guys made not just her day, but I'm sure her week, month, and year (I noticed that this was 'the most fun she's had since the last ride' which means she remembered that one for years).

Our healthcare system spends SOOOOOO much money trying to 'fix' people at this end of their life, but with very little success in making their lives better. .. . . meanwhile, what most of them need is for their families to pay more attention to them and a sidecar ride once in awhile! And how much did this ride cost? No insurance company administrators to approve the procedure, no lines to wait in, and no complicated paperwork trying to figure out how much medicare will pay out of the billed cost . . . .

Thanks for the comments, everyone! She means alot to her grandchildren who tend to disagree with her daughters who feel she is just this side of an invalid. She gets around better than they do. She broke her hip less than six months ago. (second time in 3 years!) Our parents insisted she would be using a walker for the rest of her life. Does that dance at the end look like she needs one?

Steve Miller said it best...Dance, Dance, Dance

My grandpa, he's 95
And he keeps on dancin'
He's still alive

My grandma, she's 92
She loves to dance
And sing some, too

I don't know
But I've been told
If you keep on dancing
You'll never grow old

Memories. . .

About 15 years ago, I was able to give a ride to a 90+ y.o. aunt of one of my Beemer buddies. As a young war-widow, this woman had escaped the Russian advance on eastern Germany in 1945 carrying two small children and -- literally -- with nothing but the clothes on their backs -- so she'd seen a few adventures in her time (!)

Aunt Lisyl lived several more years, and I was told that she NEVER forgot the sidecar ride, and kept a picture of her (with the big smile) in the chair right up to the end, prominently displayed on her refrigerator. . .

Feel good stuff all around -- oh, yeah.

Bravo Zulu to all the conspirators!

Walking Eagle

Back