• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Windshield edging

Henzilla?..others? I've noticed some have windshield edging on [stock] shields. I believe it is a Saeng? product? How do you like it? does it perform as they claim? Does it help with the buffeting?

Thanks,Ron

The airhead RTs came with a black edging around the windshield.

I've never heard anyone say the Saeng edging performed the miracle air-smoothing claimed in their marketing.

saeng

I've used SAENG edging on several different shields. Because...On a small Gustaffsen shield made for my wife's old K75 the stuff was amazing. On other shields, it helped a little. Call it ok, good, or pretty good only.
imho

Henzilla?..others? I've noticed some have windshield edging on [stock] shields. I believe it is a Saeng? product? How do you like it? does it perform as they claim? Does it help with the buffeting?

Thanks,Ron

It's not only an issue of the aerodynamics, the structure/rigidity of the wind screen is equally important. If the shed vorticity matches the fundamental modes of the windscreen, applying an edge trip will modify the situation. In addition, what works at one speed, might not be desirable at a different speed.

I have used Saeng edging. It made a noticeable, positive difference in most cases. On one bike it increased wind turbulence.

Helen has it on her R1150R CeeBaileys. She has no buffeting at any speed and it sheds the over the top rain. We took it off one weekend and she got to test it in the rain and at diff speeds...it went right back on.
She also added a different smaller brand to her K12S aftermarket screen, on that one it helped with a small buffeting she had at Warp9.

I bought a length of SAENG edging ("Microswirl") for a Concours I had years ago. It didn't help at all. Over the years I tried it on a Triumph Trophy, an ST1300 and an FJR. Generally I found that it made a difference but not an improvement in buffeting, turbulence and noise. It does deflect rain so it doesn't flow over the top of the windscreen, but it looks ugly and is pretty expensive. Thumbs down.

pete

Back