• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 RT - Admore lighting installation question. +12V supply?

dbcasey

Enjoy the ride!
Here's the background:

Admore LED lighting kit installed into my Givi V46 topcase. Turn signals, brake lights and running lights. I've got 12V power for the kit coming from the red/green wire going to my rear aux plug. So far, everything works, but when I turn the bike off the kit stays lit for about 1 minute. The LED lights also come on (and stay on) when I plug into either the front or the rear accessory plug with my Optimate 4 battery charger.

A few questions:

Am I tapping into the right +12V wire for power?

Would tapping into a different wire stop the lights staying on? If so, which wire/where?

I've not ridden with the Admore light kit installed. Will it freak the CANBUS out and cause the yellow triangle to light up?

I did a search using Admore with no luck.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

DC

The accessory power outlets have a retained power feature that keeps them powered for about a minute after you kill the ignition, which is why your LEDs are staying on after you turn the bike off. I would probably tap 12V power off something that will lose power with the ignition, like the front parking lights or the tail lights. The tail lights are probably the easiest since you'll be in the same area as the topcase. Tapping power to run a low draw accessory like LED lights shouldn't cause the CANBUS to show a fault either.

Admore

I have installed the admore lighting LED kit in my E52. I have used the rear 12V accessory outlet as my switched power for the kit. Yes the lights stay on for a minute and they come on/off when the battery charger is connected. I connected to the tail light at first and the admore lights did not work correctly. I did not/have not gotten any bad news from the canbus or any other problems with this hook up. I have over a thousand miles on this configuration and it seems to be just fine.

Yes you can run the wire to the parking lights at the front of the bike but I was already at the back and did not want to take the tupperware off and/or run a wire all the way to the front for this one thing.

I think this will work out just fine.

What color wire?

Thanks for the replies.

While I don't mind the lights staying on, I'd like to find a +12V power wire that will shut off power when the key is turned off.

What color wire powers the tail lights? On my 2011 RT, all the tail lights have a brown wire going to them along with the color specific wires. Is that power or a ground

Thanks again,
DC

Last edited:
Update: Conversation with Admore

I left a voicemail with Admore this morning, and was called back a couple of hours later. They said that the CANBUS system doesn't supply steady +12V power to the tail lights, but pulse modulated power to the lights when needed.

The rear aux port's power shuts down approx. 1 minute after the key is turned off. So the only other options are to
a) - tap into a wire in the front for the switched power.
b) - install a fuse panel.
c) - accept the light staying on for about a minute.

So I think I'll go with c until a later date. If I ever install a fuse panel I'll reroute the power wire to it. Until then, I guess the lights will stay on for about a minute. When I plug into my battery charger, I'll just disconnect the harness from the topcase.

Thanks for the replies and assistance. And thanks to Admore for the customer service.

DC

Back