• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Purchasing GPS, shelf mount for 1200RT

deineder

Greetings
I'm planning to purchase a GPS with shelf mount for my 08 RT. I also am considering anti theft. Advice on the GPS itself, the mount as well as the anti theft is welcome. I hope to do the hook up myself and welcome advice on wiring also.

Thanks

Dale

I'm 100% satisfied with the BMR shelf. Solid as a rock. Wired my Zumo directly to the battery although there are other options.

If you're not interested in music/bluetooth, you should at least have a look at Garmin's new Montana line. Aside from a modern touch-screen interface and sunlight readable screen, it incorporates many of the navigational features of the very popular GPSMAP chartplotter series of GPSs and can be. It can also be customized to suit the user's preferences. It has 3GB of internal memory (and you can add a micro SD card for all the storage capacity you'd ever want). It will accept up to 4,000 waypoints, 200 routes, and 200 tracks (each with up to 10,000 track points). You must buy auto-routing maps (like City Navigator). There is also a very useful rugged mount available from Garmin that has bare wire audio/power cable. I bought a Montana 600 a few months ago to replace my 276C (2005 vintage). There's a very lengthy thread in the Layin' Down Tracks forum at ADVRider if you're interested in finding out more. The Montana's not for everyone, but there's no harm in checking it out.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75226

BMR Shelf

I'm 100% satisfied with the BMR shelf. Solid as a rock. Wired my Zumo directly to the battery although there are other options.

The BMR Impresses. How difficult is it to install? The pics don't reveal how the gussets attach.

Also does your GPS lock on?

Thanks

I have the BMR on my '09 RT and like it. Solid construction and attachment to the bike. My Zumo 550 doesn't bounce around on it. You can get a mounting apparatus that locks the GPS to the BMR shelf, but the one BMR provides would require a thief to use metric Allen wrenches to remove it (assuming you lock your GPS in it's mount). Another plus for the BMR is the layout and the additional shelves you can attach to it for other stuff, like an XM antenna or a radar detector. It was very easy to install. Four attachment points to the bike, as I recall.

All of the mounting points use existing screw holes. No drilling required. The standard Zumo mount is not theft proof, although you can buy a locking mount from Wunderlich or others. If I'm going to be away from my bike, I just put the gps in my pocket or lock it in the top case.

BMR on my 07 R1200RT

The best most stable shelf made. I have a GPS, Radar Detector EZ Pass, Spot and AM antenna on mine. Every 5000 miles or so, check the screws for tightness and you're good to go.

Back