• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendations for Italy???

Lived in Italy for 2 years, didn't know how much I miss the culture until I left.

Dolomites, Venice, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, and the Adriatic beaches are all very good. Tyrol region was apart of Austria until annexed after WWII, the best food I've ever had was in the Tyrol.

In Venice, you could consider taking a boat to Murano Island. Get off the boat and hang a left to one of the glass factories. Watch them make some fancy glass stuff, then ask the director for the special pieces. He'll take you to some nice ones, but ask for the REALLY special pieces. he should take you through a back room, under a large chandelier (all of glass), up some stairs, and into the top-floor showroom where the glass artisans make the once-, twice-in-a-lifetime pieces. There's some real impressive pieces there, all well worth the price.

A reason to go back!
:wave

...was wondering if paying a tour guide is a must, it's pretty expensive?

Certainly not. I never even considered a tour guide or an organized tour. One thing is certain, I've been on roads far more interesting than the ones they take you on. All you need are good maps and the desire to explore.

...are the roads well marked for map riding?

Of course; thats all I've done the last 17 years in a row of touring there. The GPS is only used for track logging so that I don't have to do it manually at the end of the day.

Get yourself good maps before going over. Preferably with a scale of 1:150 000 to 1:200 000. You're only doing a small area, so lean towards the detailed end of the scale...ie 1:150 000.

Great stuff Alex, Thanks! I'm super stoked for this one day of Italian riding, it's going to be a highlight of the trip for me!

Back