Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: No brake exercise.

yeah, peg weighting is good as a method of facilitationg counterweighting.

a good way to ensure actual slow speed counterweighting is happening is to work on keeping your outside shoulder high during the turn. i'll often see students shift their outside butt cheek off the saddle (good), but then lean their upper body into the turn (bad).
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    yes, have agreed on a slipping clutch being bad this whole time.
    what we (rxcrider and myself) have not understood was your statement "Engaging the rear brake (pressing on the foot pedal) while leaving the clutch engaged (lever all the way out) is bad for the clutch.
    if you are now saying "partially engaged is what i meant to say", then i think we can put this part of the discussion to bed.
    Yay, lets put it to bed!!!
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    so... either people are fanning their clutches while revving the bike too high (no need to rev) or something else is going on, but in my experience with both air and oilheads, the clutch is more than up to the task.
    +1

Staying in the friction zone while revving the engine is what burns clutches. As long you use just enough throttle to keep the engine running, you can feather the clutch without causing any clutch problems longterm.

On loose surfaces (such as sand and gravel), let the clutch all the way out, work the throttle and let the big pig dig.

Yup, no need to rev the engine while fanning the clutch as that will burn up a dry clutch in a hurry. I have used my RS for many ERC classes and even for praticing BRC manuvers (U-turns, tight turns, cone weaves) and I have never had any clutch wear issues.
    Get trained! The best "performance" upgrade you can get is YOU. Visit msf-usa.org for training info.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Yup, no need to rev the engine while fanning the clutch as that will burn up a dry clutch in a hurry. I have used my RS for many ERC classes and even for praticing BRC manuvers (U-tu"rns, tight turns, cone weaves) and I have never had any clutch wear issues.
    Well yay for you, but I can tell you that I got about 40K on RTP doing rodes, monthly training, chasing down speeders and normal riding. I am telling "you" that this helps save the clutch. If whatever works for you and going years without a clutch "outstanding", not saying you got to change, just an idea. lol
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black

Quote Originally Posted by motorman587 View Post
    Well yay for you, but I can tell you that I got about 40K on RTP doing rodes, monthly training, chasing down speeders and normal riding. I am telling "you" that this helps save the clutch. If whatever works for you and going years without a clutch "outstanding", not saying you got to change, just an idea. lol
    lose the pronouns!!!!

WHAT helps save the clutch?? Doing rodeos, chasing down speeders and normal riding??
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by motorman587 View Post
    What are you arguing about? Andy agreed with you, unless you are now saying that revving up the engine and slipping the clutch is good. I guess you could also be referring back to a post of his a couple pages ago, but you didn't quote that one.
    Last edited by rxcrider; 02-24-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    lose the pronouns!!!!

WHAT helps save the clutch?? Doing rodeos, chasing down speeders and normal riding??
    No brakes saves the clutch!! Lose the pronouns, ok thanks for the tip.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    What are you arguing about? Andy agreed with you, unless you are now saying that revving up the engine and slipping the clutch is good.
    Maybe I misunderstood Andy. I thought it was a ding, cause he did all ERC BRC and did not burn up a clutch, so if he does with out using the rear brake my hats off. Sometimes on the internet can not tell if someone is being funny or serious. My bag.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black

No worrs mate!

Actually, on my RS I do almost all the MSF manuevers without the clutch at all, just throttle and rear brake. Clutch lever stays out, with my fingers over it, jess in case.
    Get trained! The best "performance" upgrade you can get is YOU. Visit msf-usa.org for training info.