• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No brake exercise.

thoroughly agree. but this is a change of condition from what you stated earlier, which is what both I and rxcrider have asked you to clarify. previously, you had stated the conditional situation as Engaging the rear brake (pressing on the foot pedal) while leaving the clutch engaged (lever all the way out) is bad for the clutch.
typo, braincramp, or what you meant to say?

Not a typo or braincramp. Again slipping the clutch (gray area), while riding the rear brake is "BAD" for clutch. Don't know how else to stated it.

thoroughly agree. but this is a change of condition from what you stated earlier, which is what both I and rxcrider have asked you to clarify. previously, you had stated the conditional situation as Engaging the rear brake (pressing on the foot pedal) while leaving the clutch engaged (lever all the way out) is bad for the clutch.
typo, braincramp, or what you meant to say?

Your right, leaving the the clutch all the way engaged. I meant slipping or partial engaged............., too much brake pressure would make the motor stall if not enough throttle given, that clear up the air??

Your right, leaving the the clutch all the way engaged. I meant slipping or partial engaged............., too much brake pressure would make the motor stall if not enough throttle given, that clear up the air??

yes, have agreed on a slipping clutch being bad this whole time.
what we (rxcrider and myself) have not understood was your statement "Engaging the rear brake (pressing on the foot pedal) while leaving the clutch engaged (lever all the way out) is bad for the clutch.
if you are now saying "partially engaged is what i meant to say", then i think we can put this part of the discussion to bed.

yeah, peg weighting is good as a method of facilitationg counterweighting.

a good way to ensure actual slow speed counterweighting is happening is to work on keeping your outside shoulder high during the turn. i'll often see students shift their outside butt cheek off the saddle (good), but then lean their upper body into the turn (bad).

yes, have agreed on a slipping clutch being bad this whole time.
what we (rxcrider and myself) have not understood was your statement "Engaging the rear brake (pressing on the foot pedal) while leaving the clutch engaged (lever all the way out) is bad for the clutch.
if you are now saying "partially engaged is what i meant to say", then i think we can put this part of the discussion to bed.

Yay, lets put it to bed!!!

so... either people are fanning their clutches while revving the bike too high (no need to rev) or something else is going on, but in my experience with both air and oilheads, the clutch is more than up to the task.

+1

Staying in the friction zone while revving the engine is what burns clutches. As long you use just enough throttle to keep the engine running, you can feather the clutch without causing any clutch problems longterm.

On loose surfaces (such as sand and gravel), let the clutch all the way out, work the throttle and let the big pig dig.

Yup, no need to rev the engine while fanning the clutch as that will burn up a dry clutch in a hurry. I have used my RS for many ERC classes and even for praticing BRC manuvers (U-turns, tight turns, cone weaves) and I have never had any clutch wear issues.

Yup, no need to rev the engine while fanning the clutch as that will burn up a dry clutch in a hurry. I have used my RS for many ERC classes and even for praticing BRC manuvers (U-tu"rns, tight turns, cone weaves) and I have never had any clutch wear issues.

Well yay for you, but I can tell you that I got about 40K on RTP doing rodes, monthly training, chasing down speeders and normal riding. I am telling "you" that this helps save the clutch. If whatever works for you and going years without a clutch "outstanding", not saying you got to change, just an idea. lol

Well yay for you, but I can tell you that I got about 40K on RTP doing rodes, monthly training, chasing down speeders and normal riding. I am telling "you" that this helps save the clutch. If whatever works for you and going years without a clutch "outstanding", not saying you got to change, just an idea. lol

lose the pronouns!!!!

WHAT helps save the clutch?? Doing rodeos, chasing down speeders and normal riding??

What are you arguing about? Andy agreed with you, unless you are now saying that revving up the engine and slipping the clutch is good. I guess you could also be referring back to a post of his a couple pages ago, but you didn't quote that one.

Last edited:
What are you arguing about? Andy agreed with you, unless you are now saying that revving up the engine and slipping the clutch is good.

Maybe I misunderstood Andy. I thought it was a ding, cause he did all ERC BRC and did not burn up a clutch, so if he does with out using the rear brake my hats off. Sometimes on the internet can not tell if someone is being funny or serious. My bag.

No worrs mate!

Actually, on my RS I do almost all the MSF manuevers without the clutch at all, just throttle and rear brake. Clutch lever stays out, with my fingers over it, jess in case.

Back