Thread: riding suit

rkclimer

riding suit

I am looking to purchase an all-weather, "water-resistant" riding suit. Aerostich, Belstaff, Marsee, Etc. Any comments/suggestions, opinions.
    Thanks
    Ken

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I have an AeroStich for about five years now and am very happy with it. I know a few people who have crash tested them and they end up buyng them again.

You may also want to check out this thread
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

RXFLYER
    You can't go wrong with an Aerostich suit. Top-notch quality, will handle pretty much any rain you care to ride in, and I feel safer wearing it. You can wear it in all four seasons, too. A worthwhile investment, IMHO.

Agreed

Aerostich Roadcrafter! The two piece is what I got. I think the one piece goes on easier and forces you to wear ATGATT. Darien is more waterproof but less comforable IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by rkclimer
    I am looking to purchase an all-weather, "water-resistant" riding suit. Aerostich, Belstaff, Marsee, Etc. Any comments/suggestions, opinions.
    Thanks
    Ken
    Where do you live?
    Where do you ride?
    Which is most important to you: staying warm, staying cold, staying dry?
    Do you want something for commuting?
    Touring?

We need more information. For example, if you live where it is hot and humid, an aerostich might be horrible (though some love them even down south). But if you need a suit for commuting, the aerostich roadcrafter can't b e beat.

My .02$? Try on the suit and sit on your bike before you buy. I went to an open house at one of the manufacturors with checkbook in hand. Tried on the suit and hated it! I went with leather instead. Don't get me wrong, the suit was very nicely made, but for some reason I just couldn't stand how it felt. All of them are pretty pricey so one doesn't want to get stuck with something they don't like.

Thumbs up Go with a 'Stich

I have to agree that Aerostich Roadcrafters are the best riding suits available. I have had a 'Stich since '86 and they have saved my tail and my skin several times. The material is super-strong and the Temperfoam padding does the job right. I know of a lot of riders wearing Aerostich and I still have never heard of a injury due to the failure of the suit. If you Scotchguard your suit about twice a year, then you should not have a problem keeping dry in downpours.

The folks at Riders Wearhouse are good people and they will treat you well. The suits may cost a pretty penny, but they are worth every cent of their cost.
    Onward, through the fog!

HODAG
    I bought a darien , I like it but added a Gerbings liner. I'm set, it has leaked, but just needed seams resealed. also leaks around the neck but I like to breathe. If you ride in heavey rain all day you will get wet. it what you like, however.

side note:
    The other day I rode into work, and one of the shop guys was harrassing me about the looks of my snowsuit as he put it, my boss (his kids race KTM's) said to him, "look I have a feeling that riding suit is worth more than that piece of crap car you drive" I nod and the slug never mentioned it again.

My wife and I both wear a Frank Thomas suit that have a removable liner. They said it was an all-weather suit but once the temp. goes north of 80 it gets pretty warm. I looked forever for a year-round wuit and couldn't find one that worked here in the South. It is water proof behind the RT fairing and has miles of reflective piping which I do like. Very comfortable for 750 mile days and if you are moving it's not bad when it gets warm out. But it is black and when you stop in traffic....

We had to buy summer gear and we went with First Gear silver mesh jackets with matching pants. They are actually cooler than just a tee shirt and a lot safer.

Good luck.

MTBATP

My wife and I both wear BMW 3 phase suits. They work great; they are a bit warm in the summer months so we have an alternative jacket for such weather. Someone posted the need for proper fit and I can't stress enough sitting on the bike with the suit on. We wear BMW gear almost exclusively. They design things well in my opinion; sleeve lengths and fastener positions are well thought out. I think some of the fabrics and textiles are used by NASA. The only downside is cost and fashion appeal but those are numbers two and three when I am looking for gear as safety is number one. You can find off-season and prior year clothing at substantial discounts if you look around.
    We bought cold weather clothing in Tucson in March at 75 % discounts for instance. Being comfortable just adds (S)miles to the bike!