Thread: 93 K75S Battery Holder/Chain Tensioner

93 K75S Battery Holder/Chain Tensioner

The gel battery installation doesn't look right to me. The battery's top metal clamp , listed as "chain tensioner" on the online parts list, mounts inclined probably due to the fact it was designed for the old lead acid battery which is wider.

Can someone have a look at the picture and tell me if I am doing this right? The installation is solid, it just doesn't look right!

Me thinks I am missing some parts despite none being listed on any parts list.

What does your installation look like?

1993 K75S Mystic Red Pearl
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

Looks like you have the small battery installed.
    Can you move the battery forward an inch? If so that would straighten up the clamp, other than that looks like my 1987K75S.

3 Red Bricks
    Center the battery in the indentation for the small battery in the battery tray.

Hold the battery hold down clamp forward while tightening it down.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

+1 on what Lee suggested - it appears from your photo that the clamp is actually leaning a bit toward the back of the bike - the screw isn't running parallel to the rear edge of the battery.

You might just loosen it and straighten it up.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Maybe a small piece of black foam under the clamp when you get it lined up the best you can, to keep vibrations from moving the battery around since the battery probably doesn't fit the bottom tray perfectly either?
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
    Maybe a small piece of black foam under the clamp when you get it lined up the best you can, to keep vibrations from moving the battery around since the battery probably doesn't fit the bottom tray perfectly either?
    The bottom tray has an indentation for the smaller battery. It should not move if PROPERLY installed.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thats what I used on my PC680- the battery is a little shorter and adding a bit of firm foam helps .
    Last edited by jpevehouse; 02-07-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: to dumb to use quotes
    I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

James and his 1988 K100LT

3 Red Bricks
    If the battery is slightly shorter (less tall as opposed to less long) you can invert the hold down bar and reposition the rubber overflow bottle hold down bumper to the other side.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Centered Battery

The battery is centred in the recessed indentation at the bottom of the tray. I positioned the clamp so that it did not interfere with the operation of the battery terminal plastic caps. Here's a picture from the top, doesn't look as awkward from that viewpoint.

However, I will look into inverting the clamp as Lee suggested or I will get an aluminium plate the width of the clamp to spread the clamping load.

All good input, thank you. Can I assume that your BMW gel battery has a similar fit to mine while sitting in its tray?

2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

Aluminium Support Plate

Here is my solution to spread the load of the battery holder chain tensioner laterally: a cutout aluminium piece. I am probably going to get it powder coated black (with some other parts while I am at it). Certainly looks better and is very steady.

N. B. the plate can't be too thick as the long screw bolts will become too short.

2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    If the battery is slightly shorter (less tall as opposed to less long) you can invert the hold down bar and reposition the rubber overflow bottle hold down bumper to the other side.

I tried this but with the end result that the rubber bump stop no longer contacted the liquid coolant expansion tank. T'was a valid suggestion though.
    2007 K1200GT 997 Blue

I cut a piece of heater hose to fill the gap Harold in Kansas
    Harold In Rapid City, SD
    1985 K100RT Bullit
    1985 K100XX/EML Bemel