• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping Stuff

BTW- I heard but have not verified that Coleman makes a lesser tent for Walmart...

I can't speak about Coleman products, but I can tell you that the Paula Dean cookware for Walmart is a different grade than you find at other retailers. A rep from the manufacturer, Meyer Corp., told me about five years ago that the Walmart version is made to a lower price point that the normal product.

About sleeping bags, the North Face Cat's Meow is a fine product. Although it is a little narrow if you like lots of leg room. Overall, a great bag for the money. Buddy of mine swears by his.

I'm currently using a Cabela's XPG Deluxe 4-Person tent and it's the best tent I've ever owned. Plenty of room for
one person and all of your gear and would work the same with two people as well. Usually when they rate the number
of people for a tent the people they are figuring on putting in the tents must be midgets. The Cabela's tent is roomy and
packs up reasonably small, easy to set up and absolutely waterproof, it's never leaked....not once. If you watch the
Cabela's flyers closely you can get one when they are on sale which is what I did and saved a pile of money on a great tent.
Well look at this...........it's on sale now!
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...ferralID=27a296b6-78f8-11e2-97b3-001b2166becc

The other thing that makes tent camping really comfortable is a luxurylite cot, I stopped sleeping on the ground ten years ago and have been
through a couple of cots, this is the best.......not cheap, but the lightest, smallest packing and most comfortable ever, I use this with a
Thermarest NeoAir mattress and it's as good or better than sleeping in my bed at home. Apparently the original company that made these cots
in Texas sold their patent to Thermarest and now these are available in more places, including Cabelas. Great product, I love mine.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...ferralID=e61560ec-78f9-11e2-97b3-001b2166becc

Camping is great when you're comfortable, dry and sleep well. These products are a significant investment in that, but I've been using this gear for several
years and it's never failed to perform perfectly. If you are not sure you want to do this, I'd recommend the Sherpa Service at the national and
let Ted do the work for you and enjoy not hauling any gear at all. Let me add that I don't work for Cabela's or have any financial interest in their company.
Good luck with your choice.

Go to your local Wal-Mart and check out their Coleman tents. I've had mine now for three years or so and it does a great job. It should be pretty cheap. At Charleston when all of the North Face and Eureka tents were busting their poles in the tornado, the only damage I had was a wet sleeping bag because I hadn't zipped my flap up. Wal-Mart should also have the other stuff that you need as well at reasonable prices. If you find that you enjoy the whole camping thing, then you can start to spend some of the big bucks on stuff.

+1 !

Given the parameters you set for what you want, vs. higher-priced stuff that may very well be high-quality but overkill for what your needs are, Garth makes an excellent suggestion.

Here is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Sundo...&qid=1361110453&sr=8-2&keywords=coleman++tent

Only.....I bought it at my local Wal-Mart for even less than Amazon.

Good Luck and enjoy the National Rally! :thumb

If you will be camping out where rain and/or heavy dew is common a double wall tent will keep you dry and comfortable. A "bathtub floor and foot print" for your tent are a neccessity in the wet. My inexpensive Coleman dome tent was easy to erect and had great ventilation. A Northface 2 man tent packed small, was easy to erect, and really had room just for me. A Catoma Switchback was easy to erect, had 2 vestibules and room for 2 with a lot of gear. Now that I'm past 70 years of age I purchased a Redverz tent that allows me to stand up inside, is easy to erect, packs smaller than the Catoma (22"x9"x9") and has a vestibule that you can park your bike in. The Catoma cost roughly $240 and the Redvarz about $550 but the quality of both is first rate. 4 season tents like Hillenberg cost more but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for" in top of the line outdoor gear. There is a vendor at our International Rallies, (Sherpa) that provides tent, sleeping gear, plus hot coffee. Everything is ready for you and you are among others that simply want to enjoy the rally and not be bothered with packing, carrying, and erecting a tent and other equipment. To get ready for summer and traveling/camping by motorcycle I usually camp out at Daytona during bike week. This allows me to make sure that my camping gear is ready for the riding/rally season.
RIDE SAFE

Past 70:),Camping.

I like these stories of elder bikers using the camping lifestyle still. I'm just past 60 and camp nearly everywhere i go still, hoping to continue way into Seniorism:). Probably my best tent is my solo REI Tadpole(20+ years) design for ease of everything and small. Its a tad harder now getting in and out of it, but I still use it on solo adventures. My second is Eureka Ive had for 20+ years and still very worthy, not worn out. Wife and I use this and its not a big tent either, so crawling in/out and dressing on your back or sitting is still our choice. Only trouble with bigger tents we found is in cold weather, they DO NOT warm up inside, where smaller tents do with body heat. All aluminum poles, the best, toughest. Had a tent lie down on me once in a tornado force winds, rain in Wyoming Summer. It had cheaper aluminum poles that did not hold up, bent. Still have it, but not used anymore. I wont bother naming it, as its a popular tent many have. Been to a few BMW National rallies with winds that broke dozens, dozens of tents. Gillette, Lima, Spokane are a few to mention. Had to be there to see it. Randy

If you are not sure you want to do this, I'd recommend the Sherpa Service at the national and
let Ted do the work for you and enjoy not hauling any gear at all. Let me add that I don't work for Cabela's or have any financial interest in their company.
Good luck with your choice.

There is a vendor at our International Rallies, (Sherpa) that provides tent, sleeping gear, plus hot coffee. Everything is ready for you and you are among others that simply want to enjoy the rally and not be bothered with packing, carrying, and erecting a tent and other equipment.

:ear

Tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, pillow and chair provided, as well as towels, charging station, ice water, Sherpa community shade, all set up and waiting for Sherpa customer arrival. I tear it all down too.

Check the vendor thread pinned at the top of the rally forum, third post for more info.

:)

Back