• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW incurs 3 million dollar penalty

W

WILDPIG

yep read em an weep -BMW has been fined 3 million bux for non compliance to report failures.............. all i say is COULD'NT HAPPENED TO A MORE DESERVING COMPANY... PERSONALLY --I'M DELIGHTED.. BMW been getting away with far to much far to long,,,,, no bmw sheeple here..

3 mil to them is a penny to us. They raise the parts prices a nickel and make it back in 3 days. This happens every day to many companies/not sure about the cheering. Does it somehow make you feel good? Does it change anything?:dunno

Cheering any financial punishment of BMW seems counterproductive to a group of individuals who, by their very membership in this club, choose to champion this brand of motorcycle as their own.

Sadly, financial punishment seems to be the only way to get BMW to sit up and take notice of disgruntled customers.

There are many who are rightfully frustrated by BMW's ambivilence towards issues with final drives, fuel strips, ESA components, etc.

While I wish to see BMW flourish as a motorcycle brand here in the USA, I'm sure as a corporation, it watches its bottom line carefully and will eventually need to reassess its approach to these fines and the pending NHTSA investigation into their post-2004 motorcycle line final drives.

Let's hope that rather than stockpiling funds to settle small-to-medium sized penalties levied against them, they invest it in a less complex and more reliable FD, fuel gauge and other tweaking to our beloved mounts. :german

Last edited:
yep read em an weep -BMW has been fined 3 million bux for non compliance to report failures.............. all i say is COULD'NT HAPPENED TO A MORE DESERVING COMPANY... PERSONALLY --I'M DELIGHTED.. BMW been getting away with far to much far to long,,,,, no bmw sheeple here..

There seems to be a loud tone of hate? / discust?..in your post. Strange for a member of [this] group...Did they slight you somehow?..if so tell us.

I'm sure as a corporation ...

You know of course that 47% ownership of BMW rests with one family, i.e. the Quandts? A little less "corporate" than many companies, I'd then think.

It's poor performance on the part of the NA branch for sure, but this is really nothing new. Methinks the reality is they do well here despite that group.

Also think it's much more ineptness than any conspiracy against BMW motorcycle owners, as is so laughingly and so too often suggested here.

Yes, they may not notice the $3 million so much, but they will notice the publicity. I doubt, however, they have a budget line item for fines, so do indeed think they'll notice. Our hero's not perfect--where have we seen this before? (everywhere)

So, do we think this is going to affect sales of the S1000RR? The R1200GS? The K1600s?

Those who can't quite afford to play will surely find fuel for rationalizations for holding off, getting out, posting wild-eyed hysterical criticisms, etc., but otherwise I'd think little affect.

Reads to me like BMW is being fined for doing incomplete paperwork with the federal bureaucracy, not for safety defects.

Reads to me like BMW is being fined for doing incomplete paperwork with the federal bureaucracy, not for safety defects.

Thanks for seeing the real facts! To be fair I've had 1 leaking rear shock in 300k miles on my BMW's so I'm less inclined to cry wolf than some who seem to want revenge for some past real or imagined problem. I feel a bit sorry for posters who have no life other than bashing. I prefer riding and enjoying my GS.

71243 - if u knew what ive been thru with bmw you'd only wonder why i havent tied a stick o dynomite to the bike or ran it off into the river-- from bmw north america all the way to the failed dealership up to an includine me havin to advise said underwater ex dealership of mis application of fluids to improper service techniques an on anon -- then theres the refusal to service the bike under warranty and on an on ........ lol yea with a springer modified to the hilt with 120,000 trouble free miles and 50 yrs of riding bikes and owning at least 30 -- the r`1200r is without a doubt the lousiest pos i ever made the mistake of buying......

71243 -- no need to reply nor any need from the others in the peanut gallery -- you asked a question -- i answered it. this aint gonna turn into a lets bash wildpig blog..... anyone slingin mud -- gonna get it slung right back --fair notice. disgusted -- yes 3 failed rotors 2 r & r brake lines workin on the 4th battery lets see what else oh yea 2 failed ews on the side o the road of course, a few other odds n ends.... oh yea -- cracked lens-- they called it a rock hit -- i think otherwise and a few more odds n ends did i mention fork seals? now bear in mind i had to literally BUILD A CASE AN THREATEN LAW SUIT BEFORE BMW WOULD HONOR THE WARRANTY.......... i really didnt the small stuff that went wrong -- and btw -- ZERO REBUSEMENT FOR OVER 1000 BUX OUTTA MY POCKET.................... pissed -- yea i'd say so... maybe yall ride the bulletproof bmw's -- i would settle for mine merely --- being reliable.

71243 -- no need to reply nor any need from the others in the peanut gallery -- you asked a question -- i answered it. this aint gonna turn into a lets bash wildpig blog..... anyone slingin mud -- gonna get it slung right back --fair notice. disgusted -- yes 3 failed rotors 2 r & r brake lines workin on the 4th battery lets see what else oh yea 2 failed ews on the side o the road of course, a few other odds n ends.... oh yea -- cracked lens-- they called it a rock hit -- i think otherwise and a few more odds n ends did i mention fork seals? now bear in mind i had to literally BUILD A CASE AN THREATEN LAW SUIT BEFORE BMW WOULD HONOR THE WARRANTY.......... i really didnt the small stuff that went wrong -- and btw -- ZERO REBUSEMENT FOR OVER 1000 BUX OUTTA MY POCKET.................... pissed -- yea i'd say so... maybe yall ride the bulletproof bmw's -- i would settle for mine merely --- being reliable.

Ok, no bashing as i don't play that game either. A question if I may? Why not just throw in the towel,sell it...and move on. I am sorry if you have had such a bad experience. However carrying the [hate] & spouting it here won't make the motorcycle any better. Hoping you find a ride you like & trust,..and enjoy it for years & years....Ron.

That's exactly the case.

How long do YOU think they should wait before reporting a safety problem?

The rule is clear and in black and white. Fail to comply, pay a fine.

Actually, maybe it's a gray area. Then, err on the side of conservatism--again, this is safety. Err on the side of denial, pay a fine.

Your representatives passed laws to protect your safety and it's hard to see much wrong with that. In any event, don't hold your breath waiting for their repeal. That wouldn't be safe.

It's a model of Harley. Google it and you'll see them.

What WildPig really needs is a lesson in writing. Man, those posts are hard to read with all the abbreviations, crappy spelling, punctuation, etc.

Wildpig,

Post a pic of your 1200R..if ya want to sell it?..maybe we can come to terms?
Wherea'bouts do you live?

Back