• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW incurs 3 million dollar penalty

If the Asians ever figure out how to make cars that drive like the Germans they will outsell them. Right now all they've got going for them is reliability which is of no interest whatever to BMW or Mercedes owners. Many are leased and few sales of new ones get kept beyond an extended warranty- owners have enough green to trade up and they do. The warranties are quite good and need to be given the low quality of many of the outsourced parts and the inadequate development work done.

I have no idea how BMW motorcycles get designed or engineered but a TV show a couple nights ago on BMW car design featured a whole bunch of folks none of whom seemed well connected to reality but rather firmly grounded in an odd company culture.
After listening to their over educated designers talking a lot of of silliness, it was pretty obvious how they manage to do "brilliant" things like I-Drive and engine programming that doesn't work in the real world.

One thing you need to remember about euro countries is that they have lots of laws and regulations but little to no serious enforcement compared to the US. Even in US firms that are used to federal requirements, lapses occur and only laws with criminal penalties for execs get any serious notice in the head office - think the Food and Drug Act or Sarbanes/Oxley but almost nothing else- most laws have only monetary penalties for the firm and that is no deterrent at all.

Hardly surprising BMW is slow on the mandatory reporting stuff or just ignores it. A lot of US firms go to the other extreme and bury govt agencies in reports of everything even remotely related to a requirement, effectively hiding the significant stuff in the mass of info until it becomes so common it can't be ignored by whatever agency is getting the data. Reporting it doesn't mean anyone that matters is looking at it either at the firm or the gov't.

When the ABS unit in my r1150rs failed, my friendly BMW dealer offered to repair it for only a mere $4000. This was only a month after my insurance company paid $5600 in repairs for a front caliper, and a set of wheels. (bent from running over a driveshaft lying in the road) I still like the bike, and I admit, I am a chump. I like the product, not the company. Stopped drinking the cool aid long ago.

its about elitism*

volvos, mercedes & bmw's are more expensive and less reliable than jap crap which is not news.
if hundai made bikes they would be fine but i wouldn't buy one and niether would most folks here.
practical is for practical peopple who don't care about being noticed, which i am not.
not really much difference between bmw and harley riders. we're all about image and status.

You may be an elitist if you love Brokeback Mountain, but think that John Wayne movies are jingoistic expressions of outdated American machismo.

:whistle

* Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who form an elite — a select group of people with intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes — are those whose views on a matter are to be taken the most seriously or carry the most weight; whose views and/or actions are most likely to be constructive to society as a whole; or whose extraordinary skills, abilities or wisdom render them especially fit to govern.[1]

Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of a limited number of people. Those opposed to elitism are considered supporters of anti-elitism, egalitarianism, populism or the political theory of pluralism. Elite theory is the sociological or political science analysis of elite influence in society - elite theorists regard pluralism as a utopian ideal.

Elitism may also refer to situations in which an individual assumes special privileges and responsibilities in the hope that this arrangement will benefit humanity or themselves. At times, elitism is closely related to social class and what sociologists call social stratification. Members of the upper classes are sometimes known as the social elite. The term elitism is also sometimes used to denote situations in which a group of people claiming to possess high abilities or simply an in-group or cadre grant themselves extra privileges at the expense of others. This form of elitism may be described as discrimination.

Last edited:
* Elitism is the belief or attitude that some individuals, who form an elite ...

Alternatively, the term elitism may be used to describe a situation ...

Elitism may also refer to situations ...

Oh get over it.

"Elitism" is a charge leveled by someone who's intimidated by somebody else.

In my past life being elite was a good thing. It conveyed being special, exceptional, the best; folks aspired to be elite. I'd be happy being known as elite. Would you not want an elite surgeon to perform an operation on your brain; an elite security force protecting your loved ones; or and elite technician working on your beloved BMW motorcycle. Not everyone can be elite and sometimes that irritates the snot out of some of those that just can't make it. Come on now, let's all do our best to be elite. :usa ;) But as almost all of us know, owning a BMW does not put one any further down the road to achieving elite status then it does to own a six pack of Bud.

My "elite" bike is the biggest most expensive piece of crap I've ever owned. The K1200GT, what an abomination. So many inherent problems, no wonder they canned the model. I've owned 26 bikes over the period of 40 years and this is the only one I've had one problem after another. I came to this brand because of everything I've always heard about quality and reliability. When the chance to finally own my "Dream Bike" came, I jumped on it. Well, it's been the biggest disappointing motorcycle I've ever dealt with in those 40 years. Now I'm unsure of the brand in general and can't recommend it to anyone based on my personal experience. Good on you guys who have had good luck with yours, and I hope you enjoy more good luck in the future. As for me, this bike will get traded as soon as I can afford it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to trade- or pay another $1500 bill like I just did- for some time to come, so "just get rid of it" is not an option right now. I can honestly tell you that I feel duped by the "premium brand" advertising and I honestly feel a bit of animosity. Again, I'm sorry if I ruffle some feathers, but that is the unfortunate experience I've had.

No problems with the Vintage Beemers

jus sayin.

I've bought 3 BMWs over a short span of just a few years, all of them "vintage" bikes. My "other" bikes are vintage British motorcycles. I like both style and function in a machine, and perhaps also simplicity.

Would I buy a new BMW? Definitely not. I'm not trying so much to further the brand as I am just to own some great bikes that I get pleasure from riding. My 1988 K100 RS and my 1993 R100 RS, I wouldn't hesitate to ride anywhere. Both were made for touring, (though admittedly in a sportier manner) and at +/- 50K on either clock, I feel comfortable loading them up and taking off. Each bike represents either the end or the beginning of an era in BMW's history. Will I "upgrade" to perhaps a newer model at some point? I wouldn't rule it out. If and when I DO buy an newer model, however, it will be after having done some good research on the model I'm considering, and hopefully the bike will have been gone thru by its previous owner, and whatever known issues will have been taken care of.

Yes, I like the BMW "brand". What it represents to me is a long history of making solid motorcycles that are good for the long haul, and that's the reason I bought mine to begin with- reliability, comfort, and distance. It makes no sense (as in "dollars and cents") to me personally, to spend lots of money on something that has many known problems, especially when there are still so many great older bikes out there, none of which are known for much more than their ability to go incredible distances with very few problems. As a bonus, you log extra style points along the way.

PS-

I don't typically log lots of miles on freeways or interstate hiways. IF I were to plan a trip on such roads, the K100 would be my bike of choice- as such, I DO tend to look at it as my "commuter", when it's possible to use it in that capacity.

Back