Thread: Lowside Damage - Need Help

bharvey60

Lowside Damage - Need Help

Lowsided the 1100RT today. Gravel, mid-turn, 35 mph. L mirror, cylinder guard, rider footpeg and side bag are visible damage. I'm afraid more lurks underneath...

Antilock indicators show alternate blinking, but won't initialize at 5mph. Blinking continues. Charged the battery (new), but still won't initialize.

Clutch now clunks if you let it out relatively quickly when starting out in first. Shifting works, but may not be as smooth as normal. Hard to tell because I was shifting without a footpeg.

Any thought about what may be causing the problems with the antilock and clutch?

By the way, Draggin Jeans, Held Gloves, Magnum Boots and Fox Creek Leather Jacket all work as advertised. Saved my a$$. Looks like I took a grinder to them, but all I got was a few scratches.

Sucks sliding down the road watching your bike beat itself to a pulp in front of you.

Once the bike went down, the ABS sensed a faster rotational speed for the rear wheel as compared to the front wheel. Probably just need the dealer or a friend with a GS-911 to reset the ABS fault. Meantime, you'll have brakes, just not ABS. Railroad sign blinking alternate lights is a fairly common occurence. Clutch advice has to come from elsewhere...

damage

As for ABS, check for visible damage, low fluids, ect. The ABS can be reset without the use of gs911, just Google it. How to articles here and on advrider.com as well as others.
    With a low speed low side, i cant see where that would do any damage. On the r1100 it is a cable operated clutch possibly the cable,or arm bent ? you don't really know unless inspected.
    Is it possible that since your low side you are more aware of noises?
    Good luck, and be careful out there.

Glad you are ok!
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

You fell to the left? Take a look at your shifter. Is it damaged? A good bang there can impact the shifter forks inside of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by bharvey60 View Post
    Lowsided the 1100RT today. ... snip ... Antilock indicators show alternate blinking, but won't initialize at 5mph. Blinking continues. Charged the battery (new), but still won't initialize.
    Too bad about your slide; glad you came out okay.
    ABS Reset, R1100RT:
    1. Find the 3-pin diagnostic plug under the driver seat behind the fusebox. Remove the cover.
    2. Connect a wire to the center (#2) terminal and ground the other end.
    3. Turn the ignition key ON, don't start. Lights will still be alternating. Keep pin 2 grounded.
    4. Hold down the ABS button on the dash, keep it down for 20-30 seconds. One light goes out the other goes solid. Keep pin 2 grounded.
    5. Release ABS button. Turn ignition off. Remove ground wire.
    6. Turn ignition ON, ABS lights should be blinking together.

If they go back to alternating, then you should get a read of the error code to see what is tripping it.
    Last edited by m_stock10506; 03-18-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: clarification added.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Sucks sliding down the road watching your bike beat itself to a pulp in front of you.
    Been there, done that, you're right!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

bharvey60
    ABS reset worked. Thanks m_stock.

May actually get out of this with nothing more than a mirror, peg and engine guards to replace. Not to mention the new pair of jeans and bruised ego. Could have been a helluva lot worse. Guess I had some good karma coming my way.

Thanks to all who replied for the help.

Lesson Learned: While the weather may say June. Road conditions still say March.

Left Coast Rider
    Clutch now clunks if you let it out relatively quickly when starting out in first. Shifting works, but may not be as smooth as normal. Hard to tell because I was shifting without a footpeg.
    Glad that you're OK. Replace your footpeg before you diagnose clutch problem. As you say, with the peg missing its hard to tell if you've got an issue or not.