• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Anyone Here Wearing Klim Gear?

Bobonli

I did a forum search and came up with only one review. Can anyone offer a dispassionate assessment of their Klim gear (Lattitude, Badlands or Traverse)?

Based on my online research, I'm narrowing my search for a waterproof suit down to the BWM RP or one of the Klim suits. Of course, no dealer near me sells both so there's zero likelihood of trying both on at the same time. I think I'd prefer not having to fiddle with RP liners but not at the expense of fit and durability. There are plenty of "independent" reviews of the RP on the web, but not many of the Klim gear.

In another forum I belong to, those that have the Klim gear are almost fanatical about it, even while lamenting that the fit can be odd and having to send the suits back for various issues. I'm wondering if the members here can offer a different perspective.

FWIW, the only negative I've heard about the RP is that the zippers have been known to fail. But that was from someone who wore it professionally as a tour guide. And of course, some people don't care for the liners.

Thanks in advance.

There are others as good !

The Klim brand gets great reviews but if you are spending that much you may wish to look at Touratechs Companero riding suit. Lisa and Simon are MOAers.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wffPh3g_hok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TmLhEIzO2Mk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another brand ?

I like Rakka and its made were it is cold and damp. Yes its pricy. http://www.adventuremotorcyclegear.com/rukka-riding-clothing-c-22.html

Have a pair of their gloves

I have the Klim Element Gloves, which I picked up since I too am interested in the Klim jackets & pants.

I've been very impressed with the quality of the gloves. They have a nice fit, amazing protection & have worked well as a fall-winter glove down to the mid 40s with heated grips. There was a bit of pressure points when I first got the gloves, but as they broke in, that has gone away.

The experience has left me really wanting to go for the Klim Badlands or Latitude (Adventure Rally is a bit too pricy for my taste). I too have seen the reviews on ADVRider & other forums & the reviews have been generally positive.

I'm planning on stopping at Revzilla on my way to the Weekend Getaway at Gettysburg in April to try on the Klim gear. It is pricy, so I need the in-person try on to decide.

I have both the Traverse and the recently released Badlands. Why both? Badlands wasn't available and the Adventure Rally is really a pro outfit. The Traverse is a Lt. Jacket, very comfortable for road use and casual wear. It is just a great coat to throw on and go. But still a long distance jacket. The Travese pant is almost as heavy duty as the Badlands pant.
I should toss in here I wear Darien gear and have forever, plus Savanna and Rally BMW gear. I hate the 'wear the liner in the rain' or TT's oversuit. Why not just bring and old Rukka rainsuit??
I recently toured Klim facilites in Idaho just to see what they were all about. Good people, smart and design talent flows all over the place. They readily accept defective goods back and have a team of testers to find out what went wrong. Now I realize others may do the same, I just saw it firsthand at KLIM. Their innovative concepts are constant. Unfortunetly they didn't let me see the experimental area!!! but met the team.
The Badlands is fantastic. HEAVY, but the unique kidney belt takes the weight off the shoulders, and I doubt its really heavier than Rukka gear, but much more than a Darien. I find it quite comfortable, tons of air flows through the suit at all times, but I am not that cold in it. I live at 7000' and its cold here in the winter. I have not needed electrics yet! But do wear fleece. The pants have less leather than the lighter Traverse, but I thought the Traverse was a little too much. The Badlands is a true Adventure style outfit, with all the proper bells and whistles on it and more. The choice for me was 8 waterproof vents vs. 4 on the Latitude. Also it is PRO Gore which apparently has more airflow characteristics, and much more waterproof (GTD, yes I know).
All that being said, it has been a la Nina winter here so while some decent early snows, none lately and no rain to test. I did get a bird strike on my Traverse shoulder, I washed it (sadly at such an early state), forgot the Revex or whatever and dried it. I tried to re-soak it in a big sink and could not get it wet, unreal as the water would not soak in! So I didn't spray it!
Maybe if you have questions I'll give it a shot.
Allen.

Klim Latitude/Traverse - For Sport Touring?

Thread hijack engaged:

The Klim gear looks like it's mostly built for the dual sporters. Would the Latitude or Traverse line be overkill for the sport tourer looking for a good touring suit?

Thread hijack disengaged (with apologies)

C

While I have seen the Latitude, I never tried it on. The Traverse is an all around suit and will work well touring on anything. The Badlands is pretty heavy duty. But I do use it on my MTS12. I think it is personal. I did forget one thing I do not use back or front pads. Nor do I use a water bladder, even on the dirt with a GSA or 950. But I always wear adv styled gear, back to Belstaff or Griffs days.
Allen.

Thanks for the feedback. I just have this feeling-perhaps unfounded-that there aren't a whole lot of copies of this gear out in the wild and that's why there haven't been many reviews.

I've tried on the Klim gear in a shop. The Banlands was just too bulky for my taste. The latitude fit well but has no hand warmer pockets, which are about the only pockets I really want on a jacket. Also, the collar on both of these was horrendous and extremely uncomfortable. Very stiff to the point of painful. I did like the Traverse and tried it on with D3o armor installed. I have no experience with this armor and it felt like there was minimal protection. Anyone else have this experience with the Traverse and armor.

Klim gear looks nice, but it's all made in China from what I hear, not at the Klim company in Idaho. :ear
Maybe that's why the various reports of quality control in Klim manufacturing.
I've been lusting after some of the Klim Dakar pants for dirt rides, not sure about the high end stuff though.

After owning a BMW RP 1, years ago, after other "lesser" brands with failed liners, I would never trust any jacket with liners to keep me warm and dry in the places I've ridden for as many miles as I have.
That RP experience is what drove me to cough up the cash for a Rukka in the first place.
After many long miles I know that the Rukka Armas is excellent for all kinds of (sport/DS) long distance touring for obvious reason when it's wet or cold, but also when it's real hot when combined with a cool vest, keeping wet under the jacket.
It's like riding with air conditioning.
YRMV.

If you're already considering making a solid investment in top quality gear, you should consider Rukka.
It's pretty tough to find bad reviews about Rukka gear, just the lack of good US distribution and the price. :whistle
It's worth the effort to have such quality gear IMO.
Read a little about the company and you'll get an idea of their long heritage and dedication to making the best gear possible.
http://www.rukka.com/

Saw a Badlands yesterday

I was at a seminar at MAX-BMW yesterday and another customer had the full Badlands suit. From the measurements on the site, a large should fit me. He had a large & offered to let me try it on. Over my Gerbings jacket, it was too tight, I was unable to zip it closed.

But, I was really impressed with the overall quality of the jacket. The storm cuffs are a nice touch. The chest protector was nice & the jacket had a nice overall fit, though I probably need an XL (6' 4", 44" chest). It has a substantial feel to it & no doubt the protection would be great in a get off.

The other rider said that the wind protection was very good in the winter (it was around 34F when we arrived at MAX-BMW).

I was at a seminar at MAX-BMW yesterday and another customer had the full Badlands suit. From the measurements on the site, a large should fit me. He had a large & offered to let me try it on. Over my Gerbings jacket, it was too tight, I was unable to zip it closed.

But, I was really impressed with the overall quality of the jacket. The storm cuffs are a nice touch. The chest protector was nice & the jacket had a nice overall fit, though I probably need an XL (6' 4", 44" chest). It has a substantial feel to it & no doubt the protection would be great in a get off.

The other rider said that the wind protection was very good in the winter (it was around 34F when we arrived at MAX-BMW).

Good thinking, asking Mark to try it on! I thought of that as I rode away. I have the same concern: what the fit will be like with a heated liner underneath, and whether the coat will be too large without the liner in the summer.

I agree the outfit looks like it was built to high standards. I didn't know about the chest protector until he showed me and I'd definitely say it's a selling point. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Revilla.

Klim gear looks nice, but it's all made in China from what I hear, not at the Klim company in Idaho. :ear
Maybe that's why the various reports of quality control in Klim manufacturing.
http://www.rukka.com/

Not to start an argument in my own thread, but at some point I have to let go of worrying about where things are built. I have no idea where the RP is built yet it's on my short list to purchase. There's talk that some of the 'Stich stuff is made offshore. The computer I'm typing on, the chair etc etc are all offshore items. Everything I've heard about Klim is that they offer outstanding customer service. That's enough for me.

My bigger concern is why things in their product range seem to fit so differently, according to posts I've seen. And people saying they had to send items back and get replacements. That is suggestive of QC issues regardless of where production takes place. It's great that everyone is having their issues resolved but, at $2k for a suit, I would think there should be no issues whatsoever. But I admit to not knowing enough; maybe the RP has/had similar issues that I haven't read about on the interwebs.

My bigger concern is why things in their product range seem to fit so differently, according to posts I've seen. And people saying they had to send items back and get replacements. That is suggestive of QC issues regardless of where production takes place. It's great that everyone is having their issues resolved but, at $2k for a suit, I would think there should be no issues whatsoever. But I admit to not knowing enough; maybe the RP has/had similar issues that I haven't read about on the interwebs.

Most of the concerns I've heard were that sizing between different suits was different. That makes sense when the suits are as varied as they are in the Klim line, though I realize it can be frustrating. What would be unacceptable is sizing differences in the same suit. I expect all Badlands larges to fit the same, but a Badlands large may fit differently than a Latitude large.

I'm heading down to Revzilla in April on my way to the Gettysburg Getaway, so I'll try on the Badlands in an XL when I'm there. May have to bring my heated gear with me, just so I can try it on with the suit to be sure of sizing.

KLIM Gear Review

KLIM makes good gear. (Jackets and Pants) I have had Firstgear, Motorad, and Tourmaster. Both KLIM and Motorad are about as good as it gets. Firstgear and Tourmaster are still playing catching up. However, Tourmaster does have have really good rain gear.

My only comment would be I wish KLIM would make the pant leg flare opening at the bottom a little larger making it easier for your boots to clear while taking them on and off.

BMW Rallye 3

I have had a Rallye 3 suit for the last two years and while I haven't been in any torrential downpours to really test it I have found it to be an excellent suit. I actually like the idea of the liner as I can use it as an extra layer that can be added or removed when things warm or cool. As such I find it very flexible and the only other suit I have is an Air Flow to deal with those >80F days. Unfortunately I can't comment on Klim but I've heard good things.

Kent

Back