• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New BMW Rider

bdimon

BruceRT
I just bought my first BMW, a 2005 R1200RT. That's a Hexhead, right? It has the small top box, ESA, and the mount for the Navigator IV. I would very much like to get the GPS and the tank-bag that clips to the tank rack. They cost how much?!

I swear, I only went to the dealer to ask questions. I didn't even take my gear or my checkbook so that I wouldn't be tempted.

It didn't turn out as I planned.

Those clever salesmen had helmets, jackets and gloves to lend me. In case my wife asks, I honestly forgot that a debit card was the same as a check.

Now my 1989 GL1500 Gold Wing will go to somebody with the patience to fix the surging and stalling. I bought it new 260,000 miles ago and hope my Beemer (is it capitalized?) lasts a long time too.

I have not ridden in Michigan, Hawaii, or Alaska; I've ridden in the other states and 3 Canadian provinces. I'm looking forward to learning about the bike and if there are any tips to making it run reliably for many miles.

I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Until then, I'll read the rider's manual a couple of more times.

Welcome

Welcome to the BMW culture. Sounds like you got a lot of value and good riding from your Wing. Enjoy your new ride. George

I think you are going to like the RT. Yes, it is a Hexhead and as your probably know by now, a very different ride than your Goldwing...which seemed to serve you well over the years. You definitely have some miles under your belt. As mild as this winter has been, I am sure you are going to get some miles in soon. Enjoy.

Welcome from down here in Alabammer! Great to have you on board and I just bet you are going to really like that RT! Stay tuned in here for lots of information and things to do with fellow riders in your area. The MOA has a weekend getaway coming up in your area in April at Gettysburg...check it out!! Ride safe and Enjoy!!

Welcome, Bruce! Sounds like you'll fit right in.
If you're interested in a local club, BMW Bikers of Metro Washington is right in your back yard. We have monthly meetings, RTEs, tech days, and other events. In fact, a tech day is coming up on 2/18 and again 4/28. Check us out and say hello!

Welcome, Bruce!

Plan to reacquaint yourself with Missouri and join us at the National rally in July!

Welcome, Bruce! Sounds like you'll fit right in.
If you're interested in a local club, BMW Bikers of Metro Washington is right in your back yard. We have monthly meetings, RTEs, tech days, and other events. In fact, a tech day is coming up on 2/18 and again 4/28. Check us out and say hello!

I have heard a lot of good things about the BMWBMW. I'll try to make it to a tech day because there are a lot of new things to learn about my first motorcycle built in the 21st century.

You can find both of what you're looking for here in the Marketplace or on Ebay. The last time I checked(three days ago) there were four used tank bags like what you want.

Personally, I am on my second 2005 RT. The first one I sold for financial reasons, but picked another one up two years later. Quite simply the single best used bike for the money... Hands down. (IMHO)

Besides the stock stuff, I have a Cal-Sci screen that I use during the Winter months, a Bak-up seat rest, Illumworks bar risers and these really neat highway pegs I paid three bills for that take the place of the upper sparkplug covers.

Please do yourself a HUGE favor and ensure the ALL the fluids are fresh. People will lie through their teeth about changing the brake fluid on the servo assisted (People round here call'em Whizzy) brakes.

That goes for the final drive too. Spend more than two minutes in the Hexhead portion of the forum and you will learn of the nightmares. There appears to be some upcoming litigation because of them... Trust me when I say we are all watching.

Did I mention the valves getting adjusted and the TBs getting synced?

Obviously, there's the sparkplugs and airfilter too. Like I said, if unsure or in doubt, get them changed or DIY.

There's more mechanical talent here than you can imagine, so holler if ya need anything.

Oilhead?

The salesman said my R1200RT was an oilhead because it has a second oil pump to pump cooling oil. What's the difference been an oilhead and a hexhead?

Hexheads are still cooled by oil, but the shape of the heads changed from the earlier Oilheads. There is also a more recent variant of the Hexhead, often referred to as the Camhead.

Basic progression of the XXXHead engines:
Airhead - Air cooled (several sizes from ~500 to 1000cc) Ended mid-late 90s depending on model
Oilhead - Air/oil cooled (1100 & 1150cc engines) ended 2005-2007 depending on model
Hexhead - Air/oil cooled but new cylinder head shape (1200cc engines) ended in the past year or 2
Camhead - Air/oil cooled with DOHC (1200cc engines) Current engines

Rumors abound that Waterheads are on their way, perhaps as early as next year. If true, it would be the first BMW boxer not cooled by air or oil.

Though, in keeping with the 3 letter word before head to describe the engine, I think we should call them H20Heads.

I just bought my first BMW, a 2005 R1200RT. That's a Hexhead, right? It has the small top box, ESA, and the mount for the Navigator IV. I would very much like to get the GPS and the tank-bag that clips to the tank rack. They cost how much?!

I swear, I only went to the dealer to ask questions. I didn't even take my gear or my checkbook so that I wouldn't be tempted.

It didn't turn out as I planned.

Those clever salesmen had helmets, jackets and gloves to lend me. In case my wife asks, I honestly forgot that a debit card was the same as a check.

Now my 1989 GL1500 Gold Wing will go to somebody with the patience to fix the surging and stalling. I bought it new 260,000 miles ago and hope my Beemer (is it capitalized?) lasts a long time too.

I have not ridden in Michigan, Hawaii, or Alaska; I've ridden in the other states and 3 Canadian provinces. I'm looking forward to learning about the bike and if there are any tips to making it run reliably for many miles.

I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Until then, I'll read the rider's manual a couple of more times.

Welcome! If you put 260,000 miles on a Goldwing you clearly have a passion for riding, and you'll find a lot of people in your new "family" who share that with you. You have a wonderful bike that should give you many miles of joy!

Back