• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Resale Values - Questionable?

I wonder if Harleys are really holding their value or sellers just imagine they're worth some inflated amount...I have a 2005 Springer Softail Nostalgia with 3000 miles on it...I'm the original owner and the bike is as clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line...annual service records...official Motor Company farkles...however, I don't imagine that it's worth half as much as I paid for it. I see guys asking $12K for for a 10 year old FatBoy, but I have my doubts if they're really getting it...isn't the poser cycle craze over yet?

>>isn't the poser cycle craze over yet?<<

No, I fear not:evil BTW, that is a beautiful motorcycle!:thumb

new owner

I bought a 2004 1200gt on jan.28,2012. I looked at the sport touring class of all bikes but wanted a Bmw. I had never ridden one, or for that matter, any of the other bikes I researched, meaning I never rode any of the bikes. I read articles, the various member sites and their opinions to decide which bike would be best for me.
My decision was the bmw but I still was not sure which model and had never rode one. The RT, GT, or RS. I was looking for a used bike with low miles and older models of BMW's are hard to find with low miles. I didn't want to spend more than 6k so that ruled out all the RT's I could find with low miles. I wanted GT but finding one with low miles within my budget was almost impossible. After about 5-6 months of looking on the internet at many different sites, I found my GT with 9920 miles for 7k with new tires and up to date service. Funny thing, it was one of the first bikes I found but were asking much more than I was willing to pay. Wrote the info on a match cover and put it off to the side for a few months, until I called, drove 90 miles and decided that is the one. Even the wife who does not ride, said how nice it was and just go for it and quit looking at bikes on the internet.
I can't tell you about other manufactures, how they ride or hold there value, but my expereince is that BMW rules. And BMW owners ride their bikes. I live in the northeast and we have had great weather and I am geting aquianted with my new baby, 600 miles so far, but when warmer weather comes, the long rides will come.:thumb

They for sure are not an investment and never have been.

Most people have that attitude and it perpetuates itself. I've personally done pretty well on cars, motorcycles, and airplanes over the years but it takes a different strategy than thinking your purchase is a disposable toy. If you are flexible about what you purchase and are patient in waiting for the right deal you can enjoy a it for a couple of years and get out of it what you put in to it or sometimes, better. My problem lately has been that I couldn't resist buying a brand new bike - a K16GT. I would have saved a bundle of capital if I'd been able to get happy with a K13GT and wait to pick up a K16 in a year or so from a distressed seller. But dang, they made a bike I just had to own right now. Bastards.

Back