• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

93 K75S Battery Holder/Chain Tensioner

ghyber

The gel battery installation doesn't look right to me. The battery's top metal clamp , listed as "chain tensioner" on the online parts list, mounts inclined probably due to the fact it was designed for the old lead acid battery which is wider.

Can someone have a look at the picture and tell me if I am doing this right? The installation is solid, it just doesn't look right! :scratch

Me thinks I am missing some parts despite none being listed on any parts list.

What does your installation look like?

DSCN9531.jpg

DSCN9533.jpg

Looks like you have the small battery installed.
Can you move the battery forward an inch? If so that would straighten up the clamp, other than that looks like my 1987K75S.

Center the battery in the indentation for the small battery in the battery tray.

Hold the battery hold down clamp forward while tightening it down.

:dance:dance:dance

+1 on what Lee suggested - it appears from your photo that the clamp is actually leaning a bit toward the back of the bike - the screw isn't running parallel to the rear edge of the battery.

You might just loosen it and straighten it up.

Maybe a small piece of black foam under the clamp when you get it lined up the best you can, to keep vibrations from moving the battery around since the battery probably doesn't fit the bottom tray perfectly either?

Maybe a small piece of black foam under the clamp when you get it lined up the best you can, to keep vibrations from moving the battery around since the battery probably doesn't fit the bottom tray perfectly either?

The bottom tray has an indentation for the smaller battery. It should not move if PROPERLY installed.

Thats what I used on my PC680- the battery is a little shorter and adding a bit of firm foam helps .

Last edited:
If the battery is slightly shorter (less tall as opposed to less long) you can invert the hold down bar and reposition the rubber overflow bottle hold down bumper to the other side.

Centered Battery

The battery is centred in the recessed indentation at the bottom of the tray. I positioned the clamp so that it did not interfere with the operation of the battery terminal plastic caps. Here's a picture from the top, doesn't look as awkward from that viewpoint.

However, I will look into inverting the clamp as Lee suggested or I will get an aluminium plate the width of the clamp to spread the clamping load.

All good input, thank you. Can I assume that your BMW gel battery has a similar fit to mine while sitting in its tray?

DSCN9534.jpg

Aluminium Support Plate

Here is my solution to spread the load of the battery holder chain tensioner laterally: a cutout aluminium piece. I am probably going to get it powder coated black (with some other parts while I am at it). Certainly looks better and is very steady.

N. B. the plate can't be too thick as the long screw bolts will become too short.

DSCN9546.jpg

DSCN9542.jpg

DSCN9544.jpg

If the battery is slightly shorter (less tall as opposed to less long) you can invert the hold down bar and reposition the rubber overflow bottle hold down bumper to the other side.

I tried this but with the end result that the rubber bump stop no longer contacted the liquid coolant expansion tank. T'was a valid suggestion though.

Back