Thread: K100 clutch pressure plate orientations

On the Road

K100 clutch pressure plate orientations

I ran into a problem with my clutch reassembly. I had my pressure plates machined and cleaned up, but I lost my marks I made that orient the pressure plates in the clutch pack. Is there anything I can do about this?

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I am speculating, but, if you had them machined, then, your marks would likely be of little value. As I understand it, the package is balanced as a unit and hence the need for marking them to get them reassembled as they were balanced. If you had them machined, I am guessing they no longer have the same weight distribution, thus would not be likely to be balanced if assembled the same. I would think they need to be 're-balanced'. Or, if an even amount was machined off each whole piece, then perhaps there is a way to use a static balancer to test each orientation of the package? It has been several years since I did mine, so I don't recall if you could get a machined rod all the way through the package.
    I think part 1 in the microfishes, is 'solid', with no through hole.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >138,000 miles -- Black, 01/10/2000 to present
    Gone: White '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, Black '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, Red '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi, '06 Kaw 650R chrome yellow track bike sold http://www.seagullbb.com/

Here is a link to one solution on the K11 site.

http://www.k11og.org/forum/viewtopic...ghlight=tennis

Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT gone but not forgotten
    14 Victory Crossroads

3 Red Bricks
    Each of the three parts of the clutch that bolt together are INDIVIDUALLY balanced at the factory to within a tolerance (the tighter the tolerance, the higher the cost, so nothing is perfect). They mark the heavy (or is it the light? I forget) spot (just like on your tires). Then you are supposed to put each mark 120 degrees apart so the individual imbalances are subtractive rather then cumulative.

I have used one of the good inexpensive static tire balancers that have two cones on a rod that rests on bearings to confirm clutch balance.

Start with just the clutch housing and mark the heavy spot.

Then add the housing cover and try all three orientations. Look for the orientation that most closely gives you the SAME heavy spot. Mark the housing cover in line with the clutch housing.

Then add the pressure plate and try all three orientations of the pressure plate keeping the clutch housing and housing cover marks together. Look for the orientation that most closely gives you the SAME heavy spot as the previous two operations. Mark the pressure plate inline with the other two marks.

Now disassemble and reassemble with the three marks 120 apart. Done.

Works well on K75s that have NO vibration. Should be good enough for a four cylinder that, on it's best day, still is expected to have some vibration.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare