• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

03 k1200GT fuel filter

jeffd

Ok, another maintenance question. Manual says to remove the fuel tank and take everything out the bottom to replace the fuel filter. On my K11 I just reach in and replace it from the top after removing the fuel filler/cap. Is it possible to do this on the K12GT or is the opening just to small.
Thanks,
Jeff

The access for the fuel filter (and pump) is through the right bottom of the tank. It's a PITA, and the only way to get to it.

Exactly, totally different construction of the tank and filter assembly. Once you get in there - get the filter and pump out - you will likely want to change to screw clamps on the hoses as the stock ones are the factory crimped kind. There are at least two types of tank bodies providing for two different pump/filter 'covers'. One has several hex nuts around the large unit, others like mine, have a large screw on 'cap' with a rubber seal. It has been a long while since I did this myself but I seem to remember very good instructions in the Clymer manual, probably in the DIY section here, on the i-BMW forum, and also at Finley's Pirate's Lair. They all remind you to have a fire extinquisher handy, drain the fuel completely first, as this is of course the lowest point of the tank, etc, etc.

The filter is on a hose that comes in from the 'outside' then goes to the pump. It is way down on the right, you could never get to it through the filler hole let alone get the necessary tools to it or see what is happening.

While you are there, change your air filter. It resides under the tank.

Most of the bodywork is already off to do a brake bleed. Guess I might as well pull the tank. I have the Clymers and it does lay it all out. Of course the tank is clear full for winter storage. I have ordered steel disconnects from Beemer Boneyard since the tank will be off anyway.
Jeff

Also the rubber O-ring that seals the filter and pump plate tends to swell when you undo the assembly (gotta love ethanol!). You can let it sit a while and it will shrink back down, hit it with light heat from a hair dryer to speed up the process, or replace it and hang the old one up to dry out for the next service. In the summer, direct sunlight will dry it pretty quickly.

Also the rubber O-ring that seals the filter and pump plate tends to swell when you undo the assembly (gotta love ethanol!). You can let it sit a while and it will shrink back down, hit it with light heat from a hair dryer to speed up the process, or replace it and hang the old one up to dry out for the next service. In the summer, direct sunlight will dry it pretty quickly.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip. Not a big fan of the ethanol either.
Jeff

Oh...ho...I forgot about the O ring swelling.....That was frustrating, but fortunately I let it sit in the sun (when I lived in Fiddletown...) while I did other stuff and came back to it...then all was well.
If I remember right, those are relatively small screw clamps you will use to replace the crimped ones. Maybe look up online what size the replacement crimp style is so you can get the right size.

Here's what the filter and pump setup looks like on a 03K1200RS.

IMG_0097.jpg

When you change to the metal QDs, save one of the plastic male ends to make a hose for a clean, easy way to drain your tank the next time you need to remove it.
The plastic male end will fit the metal female end.

IMG_0095.jpg

This plastic funnel from Beemer Boneyard is a handy tool for bleeding your brakes. It screws into the reservoir.
IMG_0100.jpg

Finally had time to change the fuel filter yesterday. Since I had the new metal QD's ready to install, I temporarily used one to make a drain hose per Lee's suggestion. Worked like a champ.

I didn't have problems with the rubber gasket swelling. Biggest problem I had was with the little clamps holding the vent hoses on. What a PITA with the limited tools I had.

Anyway, filter is in and no signs of leaks. Waiting on the air filter before I put the tank back on and fill with fresh fuel.

Brake bleed is next. Let the fun begin.
Jeff

Back