• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty Fog Riders Rally 2011: The Report

I'm not finished exploring Louisbourg yet, Bob. I told Joanne at the Tavern that I'd be back. :D

I'm not finished exploring Louisbourg yet, Bob. I told Joanne at the Tavern that I'd be back. :D

So, do I send that 2012 registration form now or just wait a while? Ya cannot disappoint Joanne eh? The Fortress is huge and being able to stop an talk with those who work there (in period) is great fun indeed. - Bob

An observation...

Harry looks as though... if they gave him a hat & musket he belonged there!
And say thats a "wry" grin on Tom's face.... :brow

The Fortress is huge and being able to stop an talk with those who work there (in period) is great fun indeed. - Bob

The sparse crowds there after Labor Day really helps with this. Harry and Dennis and I kept the gate guard busy answering questions for a good twenty minutes, until the next bus arrived. It was the same for the guy playing the guitar. I found out he plays bass in a band and we talked about the musicians at the Playhouse. He had not seen their show, but he knows them all and gave me some background. The fiddle player we heard, Rachel Davis, is from Baddeck and she learned from her grandfather who had a barber shop.
http://www.musicnovascotia.ca/racheldavis

Next year, I would like to attend the Celtic Colours International Festival held on Cape Breton Island. If the talent that we saw at the Louisburg stage is an indication, the Festival should be a real treat.

A new batch of pics just arrived so some previous posts will be added to now as well as our journey forward from Louisbourg. Next: The Cabot Trail :dance :lurk - Bob

This is the route from Louisbourg to the KOA at the foot of Kelly's Mountain. Tonight we can have a campfire! Riders arrive on their own schedule. Most have chosen to tour Fortress Louisbourg but this camp is only 50 miles away and thus noone needs to be in a hurry.

LouisbourgtoKOA.jpg

Time for a bit of food at the Seal Island Restaurant....

DSC05613.jpg

... a cup decor...

DSC05630.jpg

taking bar services into his own hands (water)...

BobsPictures307.jpg

with one person serving things were a little slow but did she ever get a shiit load of tips!

finally well fed, a ride back to make some fire...

Tomorrow the ride to Meat Cove to camp on the edge of the earth...

koatomeatcovemap.jpg

Last edited:
Now for some breakfast at the Clucking Hen Cafe As the rain delayed departure we chatted a bit more while watching the sky for relief. However, the rain gods had other plans and we ended up riding on regardless.... great food though!

BobsPictures346.jpg

A review done by the Globe and Mail is here.... http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...for-cape-bretons-clucking-hen/article1600554/

P1010353.jpg

P1010359.jpg

P1010355.jpg

Maybe the sun will appear as we ride deeper into the highlands .... :dunno

Last edited:
P1010366.jpg

P1010367.jpg

P1010369.jpg

A bit damp physically but still grinin'....

P1010410.jpg

P1010405.jpg

A couple of local scenes: fishing boats and older wood lobster traps

P1010421.jpg

P1010415.jpg

Oh the madness!

Bob... Mary; please!!! I get hungry each time you post a "Salty" update!
Did we simply eat our way across the islands?
"I vaguely recall the ride, but I sure remember the food!" Quote: "Travel'in John"
Absolutely a great rally with fantastic folks... starting with you two!

John & Dara... Salty Fog 2011 Alum
04 R1150R & 01 FLTR

Bob... Mary; please!!! I get hungry each time you post a "Salty" update!
Did we simply eat our way across the islands?
"I vaguely recall the ride, but I sure remember the food!" Quote: "Travel'in John"
Absolutely a great rally with fantastic folks... starting with you two!

John & Dara... Salty Fog 2011 Alum
04 R1150R & 01 FLTR

Well here's a little memory for your 'brunch' today....

P1010349.jpg

Now, as we move forward for the Edge of the Earth Gathering in Meat Cove, the rain shows signs of mercy and we all get a little bit of mud on the tires ...

After refueling in Neil's Harbour, before we go 'off trail' for Meat Cove, a stop at the local CoOp store for supplies...

P1010428.jpg

P1010429.jpg

As the edge of the earth approaches...

P1010448.jpg

P1010457.jpg

P1010458.jpg

P1010450.jpg

:lurk

Forget the pie.. I am still wanting the recipe for the soup that was always in abundance. :eat

Can someone send me some Mackerel too??

"phone'in home" to tell'em about the BIG slice-a-pie he didn't order at Rita's! See him look'in at it about 10 pics back... "the pie is large along the shore of lake Big Bras d Or" ... just sayin! :doh :eat .. he gets style points at "tea sipp'in" though!

Back