• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Sick and Tired of the Comparison of GW to BMW GT/GTS ... DAM

R

ricoefamoso

I have one philosophy ... if you like it you buy it ... there is no obligation. So tired of all of these posts about Goldwings etc. etc. and the 6 cyl BMW. They speal of gas comsumption and mpg ... lol lol lol ... BMW owners should not be concerned of these trivial things. If you must be concerned ... guys ... buy a Kawasaki ... Suzuki ... or a Goldwing. We are BMW owners for God's sake ... do we concern ourselves with trivia as such? I certainly do not. Get a life !

Lol ken

Acutally, my comments were quite refined ... normally I am an vulgar animal when such BS is dished about BMW motos ...however, in leu of the forum and not wanting to be dismissed I reserves my true and articulate comments.

Are you referring to comments made on this forum about other brands? I've been around here for several years and it's rare that we see out and out bashing. Yes, we may see discussion comparing one brand to another but everyone here is pretty tolerant.

Case in point: My confession.

I don't bash other brands because I have had most of them (except Harley) and they were all good bikes in their day and for their purpose.

I ride BMWs to confuse everyone who has known me for the last 64 years. My reputation as the tightest tightwad around is known far and wide. They have no idea of how old my newest bike is. They only know it looks new and don't know it is 9 years old. I further confused them last fall by buying my first new car (but it is a Kia).

Keep them guessing.

Elitest

I have one philosophy ... if you like it you buy it ... there is no obligation. So tired of all of these posts about Goldwings etc. etc. and the 6 cyl BMW. They speal of gas comsumption and mpg ... lol lol lol ... BMW owners should not be concerned of these trivial things. If you must be concerned ... guys ... buy a Kawasaki ... Suzuki ... or a Goldwing. We are BMW owners for God's sake ... do we concern ourselves with trivia as such? I certainly do not. Get a life !

It's this attitude that makes BMW owners look like pompous jerks! I have not logged in for a while and this is not the only thread with some arrogance. Not what I joined for. You need a reality check, why don't you go dig a ditch and learn some humility. Better yet wait tables at a biker joint. "Get a life" heh, get out of the clouds

If I break the rules with this post so be it, this kind of attitude is not what the MOA should be about.

I enjoy posts that compare two bikes. I often learn more from owners than from Cycle World or the ilk.

for me, both the wing and the 6 cyl beemers are both huge, expensive, feature laden bikes that I have no interest in but enjoy owners debating their merits. If I get sick and tired of it I could click somewhere else or go for a ride, but I probably wouldn't post about it.:laugh

It's this attitude that makes BMW owners look like pompous jerks! I have not logged in for a while and this is not the only thread with some arrogance. Not what I joined for. You need a reality check, why don't you go dig a ditch and learn some humility. Better yet wait tables at a biker joint. "Get a life" heh, get out of the clouds

If I break the rules with this post so be it, this kind of attitude is not what the MOA should be about.

+1
And in case someone is looking for another comparison, Roadrunner magazine has one in their latest issue!

I think it's natural for both the media and owners to draw some comparisons between 6 cylinder, 800 lb., feature laden, $24,000+ motorcycles. Sure they are not the same, but if I were looking for a 2 up, long distance bike, I'd want to know what people who have had a chance to put miles on them really think. I'm no Dr. or Lawyer, so if I scrimp and save for a GTL, gas mileage will be a concern, as will routine maintenance costs.

I'm thinking some among us need to get out and ride, or at least lay off the adult beverages until you're done posting for the night........

The latest issue of RoadRunner Magazine has an article "comparing" the GW to the GTL. Unlike other articles it does point out that they are different machines, similar. but different. It does not bash either one. It states what the test riders thought and in the end said they were both great. You must choose according to your style of riding. I took it as a good "comparison" of two similar but different machines.

If I may?...I don't really understand the comparo either,...apples to oranges as I see it. But that's just my opinion. What I have never understood about motorcyclist in general is the 'need' by some to argue amost ourselves. My M/C better than yours, faster than yours etc. Mainstream people think we're nutz as it is,..we should stick together.

I have an R1150R, a Kawasaki/Nomad, & a Kawasaki/Drifter....are any the best?..dunno!,.don't care. Are they the fastest?..dunno! don't care. I like them all. Ok my R-R is my favorite,.but nothing wrong with the other two either.

Ride what ya want, & enjoy it. If ya don't enjoy it? Buy something else. Don't worry what others will think. Chances are pretty good I'll like it , if it matters ?...cuz I like'em all.

just my 2 cents.................:bolt

The only number that matters to me in motorcycling is the one I see on my odometer. Pretty much any other numbers or comparisons, while fun to read and think about, are not so meaningful. But compare away, who cares. Last time I checked though, no motorcycle writer had figured out a way to tell me what bike I was going to like the best. I had to get out there and ride them myself and figure it out - and that was way more fun than reading comparisons.

No BMW dealers anywhere around here and I'm both a bit cheap and lazy so do all my own maintenance and don't want to do as much as either bike requires- plus I like lighter rather than chunky. And I keep stuff a decade and really don't want to be debugging screwed up electronics which is a certainty with current BMW cars and can easily be predicted for the 6 cyl bike as well. So neither would be my choice. I do enjoy reading what others think about new machines but it no substitute for a test ride.
I find myself wondering if the new Motus will ever appear and whether its apparent "small block" / chain drive simplicity will prove more durable, more fun and easier to maintain than even my RT. Still missing the maintenance simplicity of the smokers of my youth.

Lay Off The Adult BEverages Until You Are Done Posting For The Night ...

I think it's natural for both the media and owners to draw some comparisons between 6 cylinder, 800 lb., feature laden, $24,000+ motorcycles. Sure they are not the same, but if I were looking for a 2 up, long distance bike, I'd want to know what people who have had a chance to put miles on them really think. I'm no Dr. or Lawyer, so if I scrimp and save for a GTL, gas mileage will be a concern, as will routine maintenance costs.

I'm thinking some among us need to get out and ride, or at least lay off the adult beverages until you're done posting for the night........

Get out and ride ? Join us, June 12th 2012 for 2 weeks in Milan ... another great European ride to Cortinia, Laga Garda, Laga Como and the Swiss boder ... as far as as your comment re: "adult beverages" ... I don"t do them when driving my autos, on my BMW's / Motorcycles or when Offshore fishing. Thank you for your kind response. Ride safely and live and be well my friend.

Milan sounds great, but will have to wait a few years. Two kids in college now, one more still in high school. It is on my wife and my wish list though.

If you were to look at the history of my posts over the years, you'd see I tend to get cranky this time of year, specially late on a weekend evening after a couple bourbons..... :drink I've tried to not do that in recent past though. I certainly never drink and ride/drive. Like my flight instructor preached, 8 hours from the bottle to the throttle..........

Enjoy Milan, hope to read about it in ON when you get back! Or at least a Ride Report here on the forum.

Back