Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: BoosterPlug -R1150RT

Thumbs up

just installed on 1999 R1100GS it has greatly improved the surging issues they are all gone or greatly reduced. The booster plug has an external sensor that will come in handy when riding in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    I am curious of what is happening to Beemers in Europe and countries, (assuming) they do not have ethanol gasoline or EPA requirments.
    Whether or not to use a BoosterPlug isn't really related to ethanol. The inventor and producer is Danish and he uses the BP on his bike. The O2 sensor and three way catalytic converter have been required on motorcycles there by the Euro III standard I believe, since 2006 maybe earlier. Once a bike is running with an O2, the Open Loop fuel tables are set for 14.7:1 in the cruising range and Closed Loop with the O2 sensor enforces that ratio.

The 1100 series had a no catalytic converter option in Europe. The fuel table for that config is richer, a CO pot to trim carbon monoxide at idle is included, and those bikes don't seem to surge.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    Whether or not to use a BoosterPlug isn't really related to ethanol. The inventor and producer is Danish and he uses the BP on his bike. The O2 sensor and three way catalytic converter have been required on motorcycles there by the Euro III standard I believe, since 2006 maybe earlier. Once a bike is running with an O2, the Open Loop fuel tables are set for 14.7:1 in the cruising range and Closed Loop with the O2 sensor enforces that ratio.

The 1100 series had a no catalytic converter option in Europe. The fuel table for that config is richer, a CO pot to trim carbon monoxide at idle is included, and those bikes don't seem to surge.
    My Canadian 96 RT was identical to the Euro standard however which had a catalytic converter, no 02 sensor, no CCP and was equipped with a CO pot. Roger is right about the no catalytic option in Europe for the 1100 bikes. You could order one like that for some countries (Switzerland for example). You could tune the surge out of these bikes but mine needed the help of a Techlusion R259 which I eventually swapped out for a Booster Plug. They both helped relieve surging.

I have completed the retrofitting of my 2000 RT back to '95 - '96 standards and gone one step further. It now has no 02 sensor and no CCP. I does have a CO pot installed and trimmed to 1.5% O2 at idle. It also has a booster plug and a SuperTrapp muffler installed now as well.

I have not had the chance to do much test riding due to a pesky broken wrist but the one ride I did get in after the final tuning was done was very promising. Surging all but gone, loads of low end power, excellent throttle response and quite smooth on the highway in the short distance I traveled. (30km)

So it's looking good but I am holding back judgement until I can get a lot more riding in on this setup. Should be good to go in a week or less I hope. The only thing I will have trouble getting used to is that it is a bit loud! The bike sounds a lot meaner now and will take some getting used to. Makes you want to twist the throttle a lot more!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT