Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: BoosterPlug -R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Roger, your chart is quite interesting, but does nothing to prove or disprove the claim that sensor location isn't all that important. ...
    The chart is a plot of the motronic intake manifold temperature as measured by the stock AIT. It is not a test of BP probe location.

The point is that the air going into the intake can get quite warm and take minutes to drop down. You want your BP to track that temperature curve.

As far as the manufacturer claims on the other site, which also claims " ... Linearity doesn't matter", the reason I set up these tests is to see how good manufacturer claims are. Interesting that a product without a probe claims location doesn't matter.

BMW and Bosch can put their probe where the like and agree that AIT probes belong in the intake airstream.

I'm not trying to suggest to anyone that they try a BoosterPlug or any othe AIT modifier. FWIW, I believe the best bang for the buck comes from a wideband O2 like the innovate LC-1, although I use both.

'Forgiven'
    Does it matter what direction the metal prob is inserted and anchored in the air box?

I pulled plastic today and the stock AIT is mounted vertical in the top front left corner.

I have room to enter from the top, mount vertical..or horizontally. Does the positioning matter if anchored horizontal..cross stream or inline with air flow?

Thanks-
    Dana

God Bless America
    2011RT "Favor"of God

Quote Originally Posted by pipestone View Post
    Does it matter what direction the metal prob is inserted and anchored in the air box?

I pulled plastic today and the stock AIT is mounted vertical in the top front left corner.

I have room to enter from the top, mount vertical..or horizontally. Does the positioning matter if anchored horizontal..cross stream or inline with air flow?

Thanks-
    Although I'm not exactly familiar with the R1200 layout as long as the metal probe is only in contact with air (where the probe contacts the cable can touch plastic), horizontal or vertical doesn't matter.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jduke View Post
    You'll be welcome to test mine as soon as he starts selling the oil temp spoofer.
    You know you'll need the IIce Air temp spoofer installed and jumpered to the -10 setting to use the IIce Cool oil temp spoofer and have it work right? They both have to be there for the oil temp spoofer to work correctly.

I find that IIce Air is a lesson in how to limit your market. Per my understanding it goes something like this:

1 - Create product A
    2 - Sell it for a limited time to a select few. (Canadians and anyone who asks too many questions need not apply)
    3 - Discontinue product A
    4 - Create product B
    5 - Make sure that product B is totally dependant on product A which is no longer available
    6 - Discontinue product B
    7 - Create product C
    8 - Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3

It's great they will all "work together" to make your bike run great but... see the problem here?

Solution: Don't buy product A or become one of the chosen few.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

jduke
    Both products will be cheaper than most bling for a BMW.
    I'll let Roger test it, if it works great, if it doesn't I'm not out much more than what the Boosterplug sells for.

'Forgiven'
    This is the lay out on the camhead RT...I think I'll drill through just to the left of the yellow dot in one of the molded/structural squares. The AIT at the blue tape.

...its still winter and this is helping me on my journey

...but..Springs coming
    Dana

God Bless America
    2011RT "Favor"of God

Both products will be cheaper than most bling for a BMW.
    I'll let Roger test it, if it works great, if it doesn't I'm not out much more than what the Boosterplug sells for.
    The ReCyclizer got here quickly! I've received it and started making measurements. Can you tell me which motorcyle model and year it was ordered for?

jduke
    R1100/1150, but I've run it on an R1200 with the same improvements in off idle and parking lot throttle response.
    I also have one of the Poolside air temp spoofers that will work with the oil temp spoofer when that comes out. I'll be happy to let you test it too and post the results of them in combo.
    Thanks for the work!!
    It will be nice to see results from actual testing instead of "butt guestimates".

R1100/1150, but I've run it on an R1200 with the same improvements in off idle and parking lot throttle response.
    I also have one of the Poolside air temp spoofers that will work with the oil temp spoofer when that comes out. I'll be happy to let you test it too and post the results of them in combo.
    Thanks for the work!!
    It will be nice to see results from actual testing instead of "butt guestimates".
    To achieve a 20C offset, different bikes need different AIT modifiers. I know this because when I ordered my BoosterPlug, they shipped one that looked right but was for a different cycle than mine. I figured it out with an ohmmeter and GS-911. They quickly sent me the correct one at their expense along with a postage paid return envelope.

I will make some measurements today and let you know.

Here are the measurement I made on the Recyclizer that jduke sent me a few days ago. I also made measurements of the BoosterPlug under the same conditions for comparison. The measurements were made with an LC-1 AFR, GS-911 and ohmmeter.

Garage temperature 44F measured by handheld IR

No AIT Modifier
    AIT measured by Motronic 46F
    Resistance of AIT: 4K ohms
    AFR measured by LC-1 (Open Loop): 14.7:1 (+/-)

BoosterPlug
    AIT measured by Motronic: 8F (change 21C lower)
    Resistance of AIT + BP: 11K ohms
    AFR: 13.7 (+/-) (about 6% richer)

ReCyclizer
    AIT measured by Motronic: -10F (change 30C lower)
    Resistance of AIT + BP: 20K ohms
    AFR: 13.1 (+/-) (about 11% richer)

Summary
    The RC adds almost twice as much fuel as the BP at 45F, this may or may not be what you want (more than I want for my application). I have not yet checked whether the Motronic Closed Loop function still operates. Without a probe and sheathed in plastic, the RC will be slower to respond to air intake temperature changes. Also, the amount of fuel added by the RC will vary with AIT as it does not seem to be linearized. That's what I know for now. I will try Closed Loop operation later.

RB

Booster Plug

Purchased plug for 2003 R1150RT and on 560 mile day mostly below 50 degrees I got 44 mpg. Bypassed plug and on 360 hard riding day I got 47 mpg. Tried to contact via e-mail and comments, but no answer. If you buy forget about the guarantee listed.

Quote Originally Posted by DuaneJohnson View Post
    Purchased plug for 2003 R1150RT and on 560 mile day mostly below 50 degrees I got 44 mpg. Bypassed plug and on 360 hard riding day I got 47 mpg. Tried to contact via e-mail and comments, but no answer. If you buy forget about the guarantee listed.
    Just a thought, but that's about the drop in fuel mileage you'd get if your O2 sensor was disconnected or not working.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KEPPELJ View Post
    I bought a booster plug and found no improvement with my mildly surging R1150R. I ran it for 50 miles and removed it. Half price plus shipping if you want it.
    Just re-reading some earlier posts and wondering...

Did you pull Fuse number 5 to reset the ECU settings and do the throttle twist procedure to reset the TPS settings before you tested your Booster Plug ?
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

boosterplug
    Quote Originally Posted by DuaneJohnson View Post
    Duane,

This is Jens from BoosterPlug.com.

I understand your anger - I would probably be in a pretty bad mood too if I wrote 3 times without getting an answer

But actually I personally answered all of your mails within 12 hours, but every time they bounced back with a message that your mail adress had "permanent errors"
    I also tried to send you the answers from my private mailadress to see if that helped, but that one also bounced.
    So Monday morning, I send you a snail mail letter with in a last attempt to get the answer through to you. The letter should arrive in a few days time.

I'm obviously sorry for the trouble you're having getting in touch with us, but I hope that you'll accept that we are doing out very best to provide you with an answer, and that "something in the internet" is to blame.

Bottom line is that we do stand by our guarantee promises, and if you are not satisfied with the BoosterPlug, we are ready to issue you a full refund when you return the module to us. Just send it to our company adress with a short message and some proof of purchase (an order number will do).

One more thing: The higher fuel consumption you saw, is probably related to the colder weather you had on the test runs. All engines will use more fuel in colder weather because the increased density of the colder air demands more fuel to keep the same Air/Fuel Ratio. The BoosterPlug will not change this.

Best Regards

/Jens
    /BoosterPlug.com

Re guarantee: Jens guarantee is good. I had a manufacturing defect with the probe and he took care of it immediately.

Re probe placement: R1150RT. Originally, I drilled a hole in my airbox and placed the BoosterPlug probe near the original BMW AIT probe. If I remember correctly, I still experienced surging especially after a hot-start. Right or wrong, I hypothesized that the air box was baking after shutting the engine down and the probe was trying to correct a temp that was much higher than ambient temp. I removed the probe, and placed a machine screw with some silicone on the threads into the air box hole.

Next, I placed the probe into the gap between the two air intakes. Much less surging upon hot starts. I believe the air box placement will prove to be a bad choice on the camhead as well, but the hole can be easily plugged. Experiment as I did. Although I was under the impression most of the fueling problems we experience on the 1100-1150 were not an issue on the 1200 and above.

This week, I disconnected my BoosterPlug. About 4500 miles since last tuneup. Bike exhaust was smelling of unburned hydrocarbons on cool mornings. Bike is stored in an unheated garage. I believe the cool weather+BoosterPlug was making the mixture unnecessarily rich. Bike exhaust was also visible until warmed up. Ok....it was smoking but it didn't smell like oil. Disconnecting the BP seems to have cured these symptoms. Surge is still minimal.

Assuming that your O2 sensor and AIT probe are in good operating condition, the surge on 1150s is caused by poor tuning. It took me about a year and a half to learn to tune mine. Roger's work is great and offers insight into the workings of the 1150 FI. But you must always remember that you have 2 cylinders and 1 O2 sensor that reads the exhaust after the exhaust pipes combine. So it basically reads an average. Then the FI uses this average reading to adjust the FI on BOTH cylinders, which changes the exhaust, which changes the average readings of the O2 sensor.....etc. The FI systems thinks your Beemer has one cylinder. It just injects fuel twice as often to both fuel injectors.

Both cylinders have to be matched nearly perfect for the system to work the way the FI was designed. Hit the sweet spot where the cylinders are balanced and the bike is awesome. Miss the sweet spot and the FI and O2 go nuts trying to figure out the correct fueling.

Correct tuning means good plugs, valve adjustment, throttle cable and throttle body balance. I use the Paul Glave's method of adjusting the TBs at about 2K RPMs.
    1)Clean and balance TB big brass screws at idle. Then leave them alone.
    2)Make sure you have the proper amount of slack in the left side throttle cable.
    3)Then raise RPMs to 2K and adjust the right side throttle body using only the throttle cable. The cable will go out of adjustment when you tighten the lock nut. Play with it until you get the TBs to balance AS YOU TIGHTEN the lock nut.

You'll get an engine where both cylinders are putting out nearly equal amounts of energy. The BoosterPlug will richen the mixture just enough to SMOOTH the throttle response, rather than the ON-OFF throttle that came from the factory.