Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: BoosterPlug -R1150RT

jduke
    Just curious, did you know the ReCyclizer version is $50?
    Technically they do the same thing, spoof the temp to think it's 20 degrees cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by jduke View Post
    Technically they do the same thing, spoof the temp to think it's 20 degrees cooler.
    First, let me say that I don't have a commercial interest in either product; also 1/3 the price would be a significant savings if the devices were the same.

It doesn't appear to me as if they do the same thing. I don't see an airstream probe so I'm not sure how it knows the air inlet temperature, also, I don't see a spec for that on their web site for the amount of AIT reduction.

The other thing I saw on their site is that they are targeting an AFR of 13.0:1. That is roughly 11% more fuel and is fairly rich.

The BoosterPlug has the probe, is pretty linear over a wide AIT range, measurements I've made concur that it reduces AIT by 20C consistently, and that the AFR ends up only about 6% richer at 13.8:1.

Both products seem a bit expensive to me. For example, an Innovate Motorsports LC-1, including an AFR gauge, Bosch Wideband O2 sensor and AFR programmable electronic controller is about $179.

jduke
    Roger, I have an extra spoofer from ReCyclizer. If you'll promise to return it, I'll send it to you for comparison testing between the BoosterPlug and an inexpensive alternatative. As with all your other tests, I'm sure the results will be thorough and as definitive as us non technicals are likely to see.
    Interested?

Roger, I have an extra spoofer from ReCyclizer. If you'll promise to return it, I'll send it to you for comparison testing between the BoosterPlug and an inexpensive alternatative. As with all your other tests, I'm sure the results will be thorough and as definitive as us non technicals are likely to see.
    Interested?
    I'd be happy to run it though some Open Loop road tests and measurements with the GS-911. PM sent to you.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    The only trick with the ReCyclizer (and others like it) is knowing exactly what the value of the thermistor being added in series with the existing one in your airbox is. That is all they are. But the connectors and labour are not cheap and that is where the money goes.

The booster plug is a bit more sophisticated and compensates for the non linear temp curve of thermistors. Exact same idea; nicer design and execution. But they both get the voltage the ECU sees to change such that it resolves that voltage to -20C lower than it really is outside by adding resistance in series with the existing circuit.

Poolside and partner John Jens over on the ADV site have made one too. Theirs has three thermistors and jumpers. This is only to accommodate more add on ECU spoofing products they want to sell you next. (Oil temp spoofer)
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Since the Motronic is measuring the temperature of air in the intake manifold, the AIT spoofer should have a probe that can be placed in the input air flow in order to be consistent.

As an example, on a 30F day I have measured 110F inside the air filter when stopped in traffic. If the spoofer is not in the airstream, but in ambient air it could produce a much larger correction than planned. Likewise if it is sitting in a hot spot, and the bike is moving the spoofer could be creating very little correction.

On the 1150RT, there is a gap between the input to the manifold and the forward input extension. A perfect spot to tie wrap the probe.

When I was looking at the spec sheets for the $50 Recyclizer I also found the $293 Power FRK (no remote probe).

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    Since the Motronic is measuring the temperature of air in the intake manifold, the AIT spoofer should have a probe that can be placed in the input air flow in order to be consistent.
    The aforementioned poolside states he measured temperatures at various places on the bike and found that there is no difference when the bike is moving. I do not know if it is important with respect to any performance change that the air temp when the bike is idle is reported incorrectly. I suspect not.

jduke
    I have one of those too. It's adjustable, zero change, -10, -20, -30. This adjustability is supposed to work in conjunction with the oil temp spoofer coming out soon.

I have one of those too. It's adjustable, zero change, -10, -20, -30. This adjustability is supposed to work in conjunction with the oil temp spoofer coming out soon.
    I'm interested in seeing what it does.

jduke
    You'll be welcome to test mine as soon as he starts selling the oil temp spoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    The aforementioned poolside states he measured temperatures at various places on the bike and found that there is no difference when the bike is moving. I do not know if it is important with respect to any performance change that the air temp when the bike is idle is reported incorrectly. I suspect not.
    If just measuring ambient air temperature was good enough, BMW and everyone else wouldn't have bothered to carefully locate their AIT probes inside the intake manifold.

Here is one of the conditions that I've seen while making other measurements. Below is a chart of AIT as seen by the Motronic over a 5 minute interval. The motorcycle was in my garage, partly warmed up at about 57F, I took it on a ride in 30F air. You can see from the time it started moving (50 second mark) to the time the Motronic was registering outside ambient AIT (230 second mark), about three minutes had elapsed. The reason is that it takes time for the various pieces of the motorcycle (intake, air box, air filter, etc.) to cool to ambient after getting warm in my garage.

If the spoofer is plastic (see images below) and the thermistor is buried inside the package, it can take even longer for the spoofer internals to reach the temperature of the point where it is located, which may not be the same as the intake temperature.

For these reasons it seems that a metal probe, located in the intake airstream is the best location. You want the Motronic to calculate the fuel delivered based on the temperature of air going into the cylinder.

Last edited by Roger 04 RT; 02-04-2012 at 02:46 PM.

'Forgiven'
    Thanks you very much Roger for the above post.
    Dana

God Bless America
    2011RT "Favor"of God

jduke
    Roger, the ReCyclizer is in the mail.

I bought a booster plug and found no improvement with my mildly surging R1150R. I ran it for 50 miles and removed it. Half price plus shipping if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    Here is one of the conditions that I've seen while making other measurements. Below is a chart of AIT as seen by the Motronic over a 5 minute interval. The motorcycle was in my garage, partly warmed up at about 57F, I took it on a ride in 30F air. You can see from the time it started moving (50 second mark) to the time the Motronic was registering outside ambient AIT (230 second mark), about three minutes had elapsed. The reason is that it takes time for the various pieces of the motorcycle (intake, air box, air filter, etc.) to cool to ambient after getting warm in my garage.
    Roger, your chart is quite interesting, but does nothing to prove or disprove the claim that sensor location isn't all that important. It shows that the sensor in one location takes time to read a stable value. Do you have a similar chart with the sensor at a different location showing that it stabilizes at a different value?

I don't know the answer. You may well be correct. Or This post (advrider.com) which says location doesn't matter may be correct. His tests were looking for temperatures differences at idle in the garage. It is actually a few posts later where he says:

Thanks, I forgot to mention. I somehow thought it was obvious.

When the bike is moving, the sensor always sees the ambient air temperature.

No matter where the sensor is, it always gets ambient air temp. No matter if it's under the seat, behind the fuel tank panel, inside the airbox, or up in front of the steering head. It's all the same temp when the bike is moving.
    I'm trying to learn.