• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BoosterPlug -R1150RT

Since the Motronic is measuring the temperature of air in the intake manifold, the AIT spoofer should have a probe that can be placed in the input air flow in order to be consistent.

As an example, on a 30F day I have measured 110F inside the air filter when stopped in traffic. If the spoofer is not in the airstream, but in ambient air it could produce a much larger correction than planned. Likewise if it is sitting in a hot spot, and the bike is moving the spoofer could be creating very little correction.

On the 1150RT, there is a gap between the input to the manifold and the forward input extension. A perfect spot to tie wrap the probe.

When I was looking at the spec sheets for the $50 Recyclizer I also found the $293 Power FRK (no remote probe).

Since the Motronic is measuring the temperature of air in the intake manifold, the AIT spoofer should have a probe that can be placed in the input air flow in order to be consistent.

The aforementioned poolside states he measured temperatures at various places on the bike and found that there is no difference when the bike is moving. I do not know if it is important with respect to any performance change that the air temp when the bike is idle is reported incorrectly. I suspect not. :dunno

I have one of those too. It's adjustable, zero change, -10, -20, -30. This adjustability is supposed to work in conjunction with the oil temp spoofer coming out soon.

You'll be welcome to test mine as soon as he starts selling the oil temp spoofer.

The aforementioned poolside states he measured temperatures at various places on the bike and found that there is no difference when the bike is moving. I do not know if it is important with respect to any performance change that the air temp when the bike is idle is reported incorrectly. I suspect not. :dunno

If just measuring ambient air temperature was good enough, BMW and everyone else wouldn't have bothered to carefully locate their AIT probes inside the intake manifold.

Here is one of the conditions that I've seen while making other measurements. Below is a chart of AIT as seen by the Motronic over a 5 minute interval. The motorcycle was in my garage, partly warmed up at about 57F, I took it on a ride in 30F air. You can see from the time it started moving (50 second mark) to the time the Motronic was registering outside ambient AIT (230 second mark), about three minutes had elapsed. The reason is that it takes time for the various pieces of the motorcycle (intake, air box, air filter, etc.) to cool to ambient after getting warm in my garage.

ait.jpg

If the spoofer is plastic (see images below) and the thermistor is buried inside the package, it can take even longer for the spoofer internals to reach the temperature of the point where it is located, which may not be the same as the intake temperature.

For these reasons it seems that a metal probe, located in the intake airstream is the best location. You want the Motronic to calculate the fuel delivered based on the temperature of air going into the cylinder.

plug1.jpg
plug2.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a booster plug and found no improvement with my mildly surging R1150R. I ran it for 50 miles and removed it. Half price plus shipping if you want it.

Here is one of the conditions that I've seen while making other measurements. Below is a chart of AIT as seen by the Motronic over a 5 minute interval. The motorcycle was in my garage, partly warmed up at about 57F, I took it on a ride in 30F air. You can see from the time it started moving (50 second mark) to the time the Motronic was registering outside ambient AIT (230 second mark), about three minutes had elapsed. The reason is that it takes time for the various pieces of the motorcycle (intake, air box, air filter, etc.) to cool to ambient after getting warm in my garage.

Roger, your chart is quite interesting, but does nothing to prove or disprove the claim that sensor location isn't all that important. It shows that the sensor in one location takes time to read a stable value. Do you have a similar chart with the sensor at a different location showing that it stabilizes at a different value?

I don't know the answer. You may well be correct. Or This post (advrider.com) which says location doesn't matter may be correct. His tests were looking for temperatures differences at idle in the garage. It is actually a few posts later where he says:

Thanks, I forgot to mention. I somehow thought it was obvious.

When the bike is moving, the sensor always sees the ambient air temperature.

No matter where the sensor is, it always gets ambient air temp. No matter if it's under the seat, behind the fuel tank panel, inside the airbox, or up in front of the steering head. It's all the same temp when the bike is moving.

:dunno I'm trying to learn.

Roger, your chart is quite interesting, but does nothing to prove or disprove the claim that sensor location isn't all that important. ...

The chart is a plot of the motronic intake manifold temperature as measured by the stock AIT. It is not a test of BP probe location.

The point is that the air going into the intake can get quite warm and take minutes to drop down. You want your BP to track that temperature curve.

As far as the manufacturer claims on the other site, which also claims " ... Linearity doesn't matter", the reason I set up these tests is to see how good manufacturer claims are. Interesting that a product without a probe claims location doesn't matter.

BMW and Bosch can put their probe where the like and agree that AIT probes belong in the intake airstream.

I'm not trying to suggest to anyone that they try a BoosterPlug or any othe AIT modifier. FWIW, I believe the best bang for the buck comes from a wideband O2 like the innovate LC-1, although I use both. ;)

Does it matter what direction the metal prob is inserted and anchored in the air box?

I pulled plastic today and the stock AIT is mounted vertical in the top front left corner.

I have room to enter from the top, mount vertical..or horizontally. Does the positioning matter if anchored horizontal..cross stream or inline with air flow?

Thanks-

Does it matter what direction the metal prob is inserted and anchored in the air box?

I pulled plastic today and the stock AIT is mounted vertical in the top front left corner.

I have room to enter from the top, mount vertical..or horizontally. Does the positioning matter if anchored horizontal..cross stream or inline with air flow?

Thanks-

Although I'm not exactly familiar with the R1200 layout as long as the metal probe is only in contact with air (where the probe contacts the cable can touch plastic), horizontal or vertical doesn't matter.

You'll be welcome to test mine as soon as he starts selling the oil temp spoofer.

You know you'll need the IIce Air temp spoofer installed and jumpered to the -10 setting to use the IIce Cool oil temp spoofer and have it work right? They both have to be there for the oil temp spoofer to work correctly.

I find that IIce Air is a lesson in how to limit your market. Per my understanding it goes something like this:

1 - Create product A
2 - Sell it for a limited time to a select few. (Canadians and anyone who asks too many questions need not apply)
3 - Discontinue product A
4 - Create product B
5 - Make sure that product B is totally dependant on product A which is no longer available
6 - Discontinue product B
7 - Create product C
8 - Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3

It's great they will all "work together" to make your bike run great but... see the problem here?

Solution: Don't buy product A or become one of the chosen few. :bolt

Both products will be cheaper than most bling for a BMW.
I'll let Roger test it, if it works great, if it doesn't I'm not out much more than what the Boosterplug sells for.

This is the lay out on the camhead RT...I think I'll drill through just to the left of the yellow dot in one of the molded/structural squares. The AIT at the blue tape.

...its still winter and this is helping me on my journey

29m7vau.jpg

bebgpf.jpg

...but..Springs coming :wave

Both products will be cheaper than most bling for a BMW.
I'll let Roger test it, if it works great, if it doesn't I'm not out much more than what the Boosterplug sells for.

The ReCyclizer got here quickly! I've received it and started making measurements. Can you tell me which motorcyle model and year it was ordered for?

R1100/1150, but I've run it on an R1200 with the same improvements in off idle and parking lot throttle response.
I also have one of the Poolside air temp spoofers that will work with the oil temp spoofer when that comes out. I'll be happy to let you test it too and post the results of them in combo.
Thanks for the work!!
It will be nice to see results from actual testing instead of "butt guestimates".

R1100/1150, but I've run it on an R1200 with the same improvements in off idle and parking lot throttle response.
I also have one of the Poolside air temp spoofers that will work with the oil temp spoofer when that comes out. I'll be happy to let you test it too and post the results of them in combo.
Thanks for the work!!
It will be nice to see results from actual testing instead of "butt guestimates".

To achieve a 20C offset, different bikes need different AIT modifiers. I know this because when I ordered my BoosterPlug, they shipped one that looked right but was for a different cycle than mine. I figured it out with an ohmmeter and GS-911. They quickly sent me the correct one at their expense along with a postage paid return envelope.

I will make some measurements today and let you know.

Here are the measurement I made on the Recyclizer that jduke sent me a few days ago. I also made measurements of the BoosterPlug under the same conditions for comparison. The measurements were made with an LC-1 AFR, GS-911 and ohmmeter.

Garage temperature 44F measured by handheld IR

No AIT Modifier
AIT measured by Motronic 46F
Resistance of AIT: 4K ohms
AFR measured by LC-1 (Open Loop): 14.7:1 (+/-)

BoosterPlug
AIT measured by Motronic: 8F (change 21C lower)
Resistance of AIT + BP: 11K ohms
AFR: 13.7 (+/-) (about 6% richer)

ReCyclizer
AIT measured by Motronic: -10F (change 30C lower)
Resistance of AIT + BP: 20K ohms
AFR: 13.1 (+/-) (about 11% richer)

Summary
The RC adds almost twice as much fuel as the BP at 45F, this may or may not be what you want (more than I want for my application). I have not yet checked whether the Motronic Closed Loop function still operates. Without a probe and sheathed in plastic, the RC will be slower to respond to air intake temperature changes. Also, the amount of fuel added by the RC will vary with AIT as it does not seem to be linearized. That's what I know for now. I will try Closed Loop operation later.

RB

Back