• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BoosterPlug -R1150RT

I can't say for RT but with 2003 R1150RS:

Yes, I've used it.

Yes, it is worth it.

It was an immediate and impressive improvement.

No, there is no horsepower increase - it richens up the mixture about 5-6% across the board, and gets ride of the lean staggers. Driveability is definitely improved - starts easier and idles smoothly - 6th gear usable to 55 mph / sub 3K rpm, and it pulls easily and cleanly from that speed.

Just my opinion - YMMV.

so, how did YOUR mileage vary? Down 5-6%?

I've the Accelerator on my GS, another device that does the same thing. The way I ride my bike on local roads gets me about 42 MPG +/-. Adding the Accelerator did not change that.

Apparently due to the way engine management occurs the temperature sensor that the device fools is only used when the bike is running open loop. When cruising down the road at a steady speed the bike is running closed loop where the O2 sensor takes precedence.

If you ride your bike such that you are often in open loop mode then perhaps you'll see a mileage hit.

I can't say for RT but with 2003 R1150RS:

Yes, I've used it.

Yes, it is worth it.

It was an immediate and impressive improvement.

No, there is no horsepower increase - it richens up the mixture about 5-6% across the board, and gets ride of the lean staggers. Driveability is definitely improved - starts easier and idles smoothly - 6th gear usable to 55 mph / sub 3K rpm, and it pulls easily and cleanly from that speed.

Just my opinion - YMMV.

however, riding at those low rpms is still not really recommended. your bike will be much happier if you keep the revs up a bit more (generally, north of 4K), tho for easy steady speed cruising down into the 3K range is acceptable.

Has anybody heard of or used the ÔÇ£BoosterPlugÔÇØ?
I just bought my R1150RT and wondering if this is worth the $150,
or if this is just another gimmick.
Have a look at http://www.boosterplug.com

Thomas

I've got one myself, it is well made, and not a gimmick. It does drop the measured AIT as advertised and that does richen the mixture several percent. If you look at posts #40 and 41, in this AFR measurements, you can see the effect of BoosterPlug on Open Loop fueling.

However, the tests I ran also show that the 1150RT spends almost half it's time Closed Loop. The BP does not effect fueling when the Motronic is running the CL program.

I've got one myself, it is well made, and not a gimmick. It does drop the measured AIT as advertised and that does richen the mixture several percent. If you look at posts #40 and 41, in this AFR measurements, you can see the effect of BoosterPlug on Open Loop fueling.

However, the tests I ran also show that the 1150RT spends almost half it's time Closed Loop. The BP does not effect fueling when the Motronic is running the CL program.

Yeah, and sadly, closed loop is where all the surging happens. So are these things really a surging fix as advertised? Nope. Not on two 1100RT bikes I have tried them on anyway.

I installed the booster plug after several attempts to address recently felt surging issues ( started spring of 2010). Surging for me was a non event on my '04 RR, until the bike hit 24k.
The low gear surging was seriously detracting from my riding enjoymrnt. After the long hot ride to and from the PA rally last summer I was ready to try anything or part ways with my bike. I was hopefull, desperate and seriously skeptical of the promises made by all the different makers of such devices. I read alot and decided it was worth a try. I have been happy with that choice. The plug has greatly improved surging and drivability at lower speeds and RPMs. It did not eliminate all traces of surging, however I would not even think of "pulling the plug" on the plug. It has made riding my bike very pleasurable again. I have also not seen a decrease in MPG's.
Good luck!

however, riding at those low rpms is still not really recommended. your bike will be much happier if you keep the revs up a bit more (generally, north of 4K), tho for easy steady speed cruising down into the 3K range is acceptable.

The point was that it would pull from that range - not that is where it is operated. For legal freeway speeds, a few ticks above 3K rpm in 6th gear is 65 mph (per GPS). The BoosterPlug makes that a much more enjoyable experience - prior to the BoosterPlug, 6th gear was not useable in that scenario - it took 5th gear and 70+mph to not be bothered with the surging. Now, an easy pass is merely a slight twist of the wrist to roll on around. Dropping to 4th at 65mph gives the "launch" when needed.

Personally, I find the statements I've seen on the forum in regards to "bike being happier" comical - I'm the one that needs to be kept happy, and the R1150RS (with BoosterPlug) does that for me...:)

Just curious, did you know the ReCyclizer version is $50?
Technically they do the same thing, spoof the temp to think it's 20 degrees cooler.

Technically they do the same thing, spoof the temp to think it's 20 degrees cooler.

First, let me say that I don't have a commercial interest in either product; also 1/3 the price would be a significant savings if the devices were the same.

It doesn't appear to me as if they do the same thing. I don't see an airstream probe so I'm not sure how it knows the air inlet temperature, also, I don't see a spec for that on their web site for the amount of AIT reduction.

The other thing I saw on their site is that they are targeting an AFR of 13.0:1. That is roughly 11% more fuel and is fairly rich.

The BoosterPlug has the probe, is pretty linear over a wide AIT range, measurements I've made concur that it reduces AIT by 20C consistently, and that the AFR ends up only about 6% richer at 13.8:1.

Both products seem a bit expensive to me. For example, an Innovate Motorsports LC-1, including an AFR gauge, Bosch Wideband O2 sensor and AFR programmable electronic controller is about $179.

Roger, I have an extra spoofer from ReCyclizer. If you'll promise to return it, I'll send it to you for comparison testing between the BoosterPlug and an inexpensive alternatative. As with all your other tests, I'm sure the results will be thorough and as definitive as us non technicals are likely to see.
Interested?

Roger, I have an extra spoofer from ReCyclizer. If you'll promise to return it, I'll send it to you for comparison testing between the BoosterPlug and an inexpensive alternatative. As with all your other tests, I'm sure the results will be thorough and as definitive as us non technicals are likely to see.
Interested?

I'd be happy to run it though some Open Loop road tests and measurements with the GS-911. PM sent to you.

The only trick with the ReCyclizer (and others like it) is knowing exactly what the value of the thermistor being added in series with the existing one in your airbox is. That is all they are. But the connectors and labour are not cheap and that is where the money goes.

The booster plug is a bit more sophisticated and compensates for the non linear temp curve of thermistors. Exact same idea; nicer design and execution. But they both get the voltage the ECU sees to change such that it resolves that voltage to -20C lower than it really is outside by adding resistance in series with the existing circuit.

Poolside and partner John Jens over on the ADV site have made one too. Theirs has three thermistors and jumpers. This is only to accommodate more add on ECU spoofing products they want to sell you next. (Oil temp spoofer)

Back